Urch Forums

From PowerPrep Test 2

wood

If the long, continuing process of differentiation and specialization in scholarship were to go so far that all the subfields of sociology came to be established as separate discilplines, would sociology then cease to exist as a discipline in its own right?

The phrase in its own right in the passage is closest in meaning to

(A) legal

(B) independent

© complete

(D) sudden

Hummm, right... Somehow, I just looked at the sentence again this morning and at laura's explanations, and it makes complete sense. It has to be (B). All the clues in the sentence leads to that... and actually, all the clues in the whole original text leads to that!!

Thanks Erin and laura!!

PS: I should have posted more questions that I found difficult.. It is a shame that we can't review our answers on the TOEFL PowerPrep CD as we can do on the GRE one. Anyway, my exam is tomorrow and I won't have a lot of time to get to PowerPrep tests again. Thanks!

hi wood,

I find the TOEFL powerprep pretty annoying from this point of view too.

Good luck on your test tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do great. It's just a matter of focusing and giving your best at the right time. Just think of the TOEFL as a piece of cake compared to the GRE. It must be so relieving to have gotten rid of that one.

Laura