Urch Forums

question

mo0ones

Do you know the difference between aspiration, goal, end, purpose? Sometimes we can't use them instead of one another! Could you please explain it for me?

mo0ones,

I'm assuming you are talking about using those words in terms of planned achievement.

In general terms they can be used as synonyms but, as is often the case with English, there are subtle distinctions. I would suggest the following points apply.

Aspiration has more to do with long term achievement, eg 'while at school she had aspirations of becoming a surgeon'.

Goal is perhaps a shorter term and more specific target, eg 'her goal was to achieve her pilot's licence'.

End is a little different and mean something that needs to be achieved. I think it is most likely to be used in this sort of context: 'he wanted to work in South America and to this end began to learn Spanish'.

Purpose is perhaps more difficult. In one sense it can be used to indicate a reason for doing something, but in the context I think you are talking about here it perhaps has to do with a driving force or personal values, eg 'he felt his purpose in life was to reduce the incidence of that disease'.

Michael

• 1 month later...