Urch Forums

Are answer keys always correct? Problems with a CD of ARCO

Catalina

I wonder if these questions from a CD of “ARCO’s Perparation for the TOEFL Version 1.0 1996” Reading part, are answered correctly!

My QUESTION 1:

In the passage you read:

…And, if you are eating in a very rustic setting it may be fine to tuck your napkin into your shirt. …

The question is:

Which of the following is closet in meaning to the word “tuck” in line 8?

(A) put

(B) set

© hold

(D) fold

according to answer key of CD , the correct answer is (A) PUT. But I think the correct answer is (D) FOLD.

My QUESTION 2:

In the passage you read:

…. Eventually , in 1955, she became the first African-American singer to perform at NY’s Metropolitan opera.

The question is:

The word “eventually” in line 8 could best be replaced by which of the following?

(A) later

(B) at last

© in the long run

(D) recently

according to answer key of CD , the correct answer is (A) LATER. But I think the correct answer is (B) AT LAST.

Waiting to your opinion:shy::shy:,

And thanks in advance[:X]

Originally posted by Catalina

I wonder if these questions from a CD of “ARCO’s Perparation for the TOEFL Version 1.0 1996” Reading part, are answered correctly!

My QUESTION 1:

In the passage you read:

…And, if you are eating in a very rustic setting it may be fine to tuck your napkin into your shirt. …

The question is:

Which of the following is closet in meaning to the word “tuck” in line 8?

(A) put

(B) set

© hold

(D) fold

according to answer key of CD , the correct answer is (A) PUT. But I think the correct answer is (D) FOLD.

My QUESTION 2:

In the passage you read:

…. Eventually , in 1955, she became the first African-American singer to perform at NY’s Metropolitan opera.

The question is:

The word “eventually” in line 8 could best be replaced by which of the following?

(A) later

(B) at last

© in the long run

(D) recently

according to answer key of CD , the correct answer is (A) LATER. But I think the correct answer is (B) AT LAST.

Waiting to your opinion:shy::shy:,

And thanks in advance[:X]

Catalina

QUESTION 1

A put is correct.

In this sense tuck means put something (in this case a corner of the napkin) inside something else. Another example might be: "I tucked my shirt inside my trousers".

You are thinking of another meaning of tuck which means to make a fold in fabric (and usually stitch it). Example: "If I lose any more weight I will have to put a tuck in my trousers".

(In England "tuck in" is also a colloquial invitation to start eating!)

QUESTION 2

I think this would depend on how eventually was being used. It could be A or B.

Michael