Urch Forums

The FPGEE annonced new regulation.

morkos_a

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee™ (FPGEC®) recently made amendments to the requirements for FPGEC Certification, which include changes to the accepted English language proficiency examination and what constitutes a valid test site location.

Candidates who submit an application to the FPGEC Certification Program on or after April 1, 2010:

Must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language™ (TOEFL®) Internet-based Test (iBT) as the sole English language proficiency examination. Score reports from the paper-based TOEFL and the Test of Spoken English™ (TSE®) will no longer be accepted for FPGEC Certification.

Must take the TOEFL iBT at an Educational Testing Service® (ETS®) test center located within one of the NABP member and associate member jurisdictions including the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, nine Canadian provinces, two Australian states, and New Zealand. The FPGEC will no longer accept TOEFL iBT score reports from international ETS test site locations.

Must not take the TOEFL iBT at the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test center located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard. Score reports will not be accepted from this test site location.

Candidates who submitted an application prior to April 1, 2010, will have until June 30, 2010, to successfully complete the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification as currently required. On June 30, 2010, all FPGEC candidates will be subject to the provisions outlined above.

To eliminate multiple trips for internationally located candidates, NABP suggests that candidates try to schedule their TOEFL iBT on a date near to their scheduled Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination® (FPGEE®) administration date. Currently, all FPGEC candidates must also take the FPGEE at a US test center.

Please refer to the FPGEC Application Bulletin for more information

I read about this yesterday and couldn't stop wondering why NABP can't simply state "WE DON'T NEED FOREIGN PHARMACISTS IN THE US" instead of making our life even more difficult.

I hope everyone understands what does this new regulation mean for students who need a visa to come to the US. Before they were forced to have a visa to take the FPGEE, now they will be forced to travel to US at least 3 times to pass the TOEFL. This is just ridiculous. What's going to happen??? A lot of foreign pharmacists will simply give up the hope to become a US licensed pharmacist.

This is really tough news for so many people, and my sympathies go out to you.

It will definitely mean people need to change their strategy in terms of just taking the TOEFL repeatedly until they get the scores they need.

Make sure you practice and get an indication of your score through something like the TOEFL Speaking Mentor and TOEFL Writing Mentor programs (there are many other services available online as well) - [ TOEFL iBT ] Renshaw Internet School of English

The point here is that you need to make sure you are actually capable of getting the scores you need BEFORE you go ahead and take the actual test - which is expensive and (now) not as convenient to take multiple times.

I'm sorry to hear about these new restrictions and hurdles, and I wish you all the best in overcoming them and progressing on with your career aspirations.

:-)

~ Jason

Hi,

Can you please tell me the exact meaning of following sentences? I can't get it what they are saying?

"Candidates who submitted an application prior to April 1, 2010, will have until June 30, 2010, to successfully complete the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification as currently required. On June 30, 2010, all FPGEC candidates will be subject to the provisions outlined above."

I think what that entails is:

1. If you have applied to FPGEC prior to April 1, you can still use TSE or TOEFL scores from centers not located specifically in the US (plus specific additional locations listed) - but only up to June 30 of this year.

2. If you apply to FPGEC after April 1, you will need to take the TOEFL iBT only, and it must be at the centers (i.e. US-based + additional specified locations) indicated in the provisions.

3. If you applied to FPGEC before April 1, but don't get the scores you need in TOEFL by June 30, then you will become subject to the new conditions (TOEFL iBT only, and only at test centers based in the US + specified additional locations).

Does that make it clearer?

Basically, if you want to use something like TSE instead of TOEFL, or TOEFL scores submitted from centers not in those locations specified, you'll need to apply to FPGEC before April 1 AND get the prerequisite scores before June 30.

Otherwise, you'll be limited to taking only iBT, and only within the specified list of locations.

In other words, things are going to become a lot more restrictive for those who apply to FPGEC after April 1, and/or who don't get the scores they need before June 30.

It's a pretty tough adjustment to the process...

~ Jason

That is crazy. I know a friend who passed that toefl after the 30 times. That would mean that we have to travel to the states 30 times to pass this ridiculous.

Not necessarily...

Surely it should be possible to travel to the US for 1-3 months, which could mean the opportunity to take the test up to 6 times during one trip.

However, while this is not nearly as expensive as one test attempt per one trip to and from the US, considering the cost of the test itself and the expense of accommodations and living while in the US, it is still ridiculously expensive and stressful for the test-takers concerned.

As someone else posted here, it reads pretty much as a backhanded message to foreign pharmacy applicants, along the lines of: "We don't want you to try and come here to work as a pharmacist. Stay in your own country."

Horribly unfair situation, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, my heart goes out to all the people out there who are affected by these adverse and unfair requirements.

~ Jason

Can someone tell me that Should nabp receive toefl pbt score by jun 30 2110 or is it fine if i have completed exam by then and waitinf for result?

what do they mean by fpgec applicant , i have already completed fpgee exam last year , is that the same aplication for both fpgee and fpgec?

I have finished tse on jan , taking pbt on may 16 do u guys think will i be good if i get required score on pbt?

If ets sends score late to nabp for my may exam will they still consider me ?

thankyou

Have there been any ammendments for Canadians? Do we still have to take the TOEFL?

I don't remember that Canadians were exempted from taking TOEFL before. As far as I know ALL the foreign pharm graduates should take TOEFL. Even being native American, but foreign graduate doesn't make exemption. Correct me please, if I am wrong.

Before anyone spends any more time or money trying to pass the TOEFL, you should read the blog listed below about the tremendous

GLUT OF PHARMACISTS in the US now. The shortage that existed three years ago has been over for a while, but the news has been very slow to make it to those of us who have been so focused on passing our tests. I passed the TOEFL after 25 tries one year ago and I still have not found an internship. Not even as a volunteer. I wish I had known about the glut earlier. I've wasted so much time and money.

The blog is at: "www.pharmacytimes.com/editors-note/pharmacy/Eckelblog-111809"

Edited by pallmall

I am new in this forum and I really enjoy it. I would like to know if it is possible all the foreign pharmacists who would like to request to ETS the possibility of taking the test partially. In others words if you got the scores in reading, listening but you didn't achieve the score in writing and speaking the next time you should only take W and S.

I was thinking about this idea because I got two times a survey and one of the questions was would you like to take the test partially, if you have this option would you recommend Toefl to your friends?

I think that this option is more realistic than to change the policy in NABP.

Spatz

I am new in this forum and I really enjoy it. I would like to know if it is possible all the foreign pharmacists who would like to request to ETS the possibility of taking the test partially. In others words if you got the scores in reading, listening but you didn't achieve the score in writing and speaking the next time you should only take W and S.

I was thinking about this idea because I got two times a survey and one of the questions was would you like to take the test partially, if you have this option would you recommend Toefl to your friends?

I think that this option is more realistic than to change the policy in NABP.

Spatz

I agree with your idea here, and with the idea of taking sections of the test separately irrespective of test score requirements.

One problem, however, is test reliability. Taking the speaking and/or writing sections separately is completely different to doing these sections AFTER complete reading and listening sections - there are different stress levels and "test fatigue" issues. In other words, someone who takes the complete test and someone who takes just the speaking section are taking the test under different overall conditions that are likely to influence the eventual score achieved.

Don't get me wrong - I really DO wish all of you test takers could take or re-take your tests this way. I just feel one of the reasons a certifying body might reject the proposal is because of the reliability factor.

Best wishes,

~ Jason

I think it would be great if we can take any of the four section separately. But the matter is that even if the ETS allowed test takers to take each part separately, the NABP will still have the same policy and won't consider this option . Meaning that NABP will still require the scores to be achieved in one test session.

Helo,

I mentioned this idea because I got a survey from ETS and I remember one of the questions was if you have the opportunity to take the Toefl partially, Would you recomend Toefl ibt or IELTS?.

ETS Marketing Research (marketresearch@ets.org) the survey is closed now.

I think that they are losing people and this is why It could be a good alternative. NABP needs to know the final score, therefore ETS is in charge the how they are going to do it.

Well, i don't agree with you spatz.; Because Nabp requires the scores to be obtained in one test session. you know other boards don't require test takers to get the scores in one session. Actually I've been discussing this issue with a friend of mine, as i personally took this survey. And he told me that this has nothing to do with NABP, they have to approve first to accept the scores from more than test session. I hope they will make it easier for us... Who knows.

Hi to all member of this group

I agree with this opinion to request ETS regarding taking test separately.

At least we have to try it . If our luck is good then there may be way to go. I found many test taker in this group who have taken the test for more than 20 times to achieve the required score. And, all of us knows that some of these trial is due to the lower score in only one section. Due to this lower score we have to take all four section again. This is not a proper way to evaluate person's ability of language.

I know,in past ,we all presented to NABP for changing score requirement. And, I know, at that time also ETS has supported us partially. I think they will help us because they knows 27,24 is not a easy score to achieve in some section with other section requirement.

I request to all member to think on this topic and create some energetic environment for others. I also request to my all forum friends who have achieved their desired score. To support each other is the proper way to get success.

Thanks for reading my opinion.

I hope all of us will get success.

GREAT,

I have seen many times how many foreign pharmacists complain against to NABP, but they didn't call us to come here, therefore, we have to be realistic and we have to accept the policy of NABP or we have to come back our countries. Everybody should think , if I make more money and I get better education in my country why Do I come here?.

I have been a pharmacist for 12 years, I worked as a manager in the hospital and as director of Nutrition School in my country, I can understand why NABP is so demanding.

STOP to complain we have to be more positive. I want to feel that I deserve to work in this country I don't want any favor because I feel so proud of my profession.

NOW, we should prepare a request for ETS.

Spatz