Urch Forums

Books and Materials for TOEFL iBT - Speaking section

knok

Hi everybody,

To date (March 28, 2010), as requested, these are books and CDs which are available in the market. You can check for the best deal at some other bookstores yourself. I put the links through amazon.com so that you can check for the right versions. Please look at the ISBN. The exam fee is more expensive than these books.

1. The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT with CD-ROM, Third Edition (Paperback)

~ Educational Testing Service (Author)

Amazon.com: The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT with CD-ROM, Third Edition (9780071624053): Educational Testing Service: Books

2a. Complete Guide to the Toefl Test: IBT/E(Complete Guide to the Toefl Test) (Paperback) by Bruce Rogers (Author)

Amazon.com: Complete Guide to the Toefl Test: IBT/E(Complete Guide to the Toefl Test) (9781413023039): Bruce Rogers: Books

or

http://elt.heinle.com/cgi-telt/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M2b&product_isbn_issn=1413023037&subject_code=EMP01&discipline_number=301

2b. Complete Guide to TOEFL Audio Scripts with Answer Key (Complete Guide to Toeic) (Paperback) ~ Bruce Rogers (Author)

Amazon.com: Complete Guide to TOEFL Audio Scripts with Answer Key (Complete Guide to Toeic) (9781413023114): Rogers: Books

2c. Complete Guide to the TOEFL Test: IBT/E (CD-ROM)

by Bruce Rogers

http://eltmedia.thomsonlearning.com/resource_uploads/static_marketing/1413023037/1863/index.html

3a. Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Advanced Skill Practice Book (Paperback) by Nancy Gallagher (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Deltas-Next-Generation-TOEFL-Test/dp/1887744940/ref=pd_sim_b_1And

3b. Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Advanced Skill Practice Audio CDs (Audio CD)

Amazon.com: Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Advanced Skill Practice Audio CDs (9781887744959): Nancy Gallagher: Books

4a. Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Six Practice Tests for the iBT (Paperback)

Amazon.com: Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Six Practice Tests for the iBT (9781932748543): Nancy Gallagher, Patricia Brenner, Damon Taylor: Books

4b. Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL Test: Six Practice Tests for the iBT (Audio CDs) (Audio CD)

~ Nancy Gallagher (Author), Patricia Brenner (Editor), Damon Taylor (Illustrator)

http://www.amazon.com/Deltas-Next-Generation-TOEFL-Test/dp/1932748555/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1269884295&sr=8-1

or

4c. Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL: Six Practice Tests for the iBT (Text and Audio CDs) (Paperback)

~ Nancy Gallagher (Author), Patricia Brenner (Editor)

Amazon.com: Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL: Six Practice Tests for the iBT (Text and Audio CDs) (9781934960370): Nancy Gallagher, Patricia Brenner: Books

Note: Item No. 4a. (Books) +Item No. 4b. (Audio CDs) = Item No. 4c. (Books and Audio CDs)

5. Mastering Skills for the TOEFL iBT, 2nd Edition Advanced Speaking (w/MP3 CD) (Perfect Paperback)

~ Patrick Yancey (Author), Casey Malarcher (Author), Jeff Zeter (Author), Tanya Shawlinski (Editor)

Amazon.com: Mastering Skills for the TOEFL iBT, 2nd Edition Advanced Speaking (w/MP3 CD) (9781599663586): Patrick Yancey, Casey Malarcher, Jeff Zeter, Tanya Shawlinski: Books

6. Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL® Test: iBT Speaking (with CD-ROM, 3 Audio CDs, and Answer Key)

Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL

7. Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL Test (Book & CD-ROM) (Paperback)

Jolene Gear (Author)

Amazon.com: Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL Test (Book & CD-ROM) (9780521755849): Jolene Gear, Robert Gear: Books

8. Cracking the TOEFL iBT with CD, 2010 Edition (Test Preparation) (Paperback)

~ Princeton Review (Author)

Amazon.com: Cracking the TOEFL iBT with CD, 2010 Edition (Test Preparation) (9780375429200): Princeton Review: Books

9. Kaplan TOEFL iBT with CD-ROM (Paperback)

~ Kaplan (Author)

Amazon.com: Kaplan TOEFL iBT with CD-ROM (9781419550270): Kaplan: Books

10. Barron's TOEFL iBT Superpack (Hardcover)

~ Ph.D., Pamela Sharpe (Author), Stephen J. Matthiesen (Author), Charles Stansfield (Author)

Amazon.com: Barron's TOEFL iBT Superpack (9781438093055): Ph.D., Pamela Sharpe, Stephen J. Matthiesen, Charles Stansfield: Books

11. Barron's Writing for the TOEFL iBT: with Audio CD (Barron's How to Prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl Essay) (Paperback)

By Lin Lougheed (Author)

Amazon.com: Barron's Writing for the TOEFL iBT: with Audio CD (Barron's How to Prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl Essay) (9780764195570): Lin Lougheed: Books

12. Developing Skills for the TOEFL iBT, 2nd Edition Intermediate Combined MP3 Audio CD (Audio CD)

~ Paul Edmunds (Author), Nancie Mckinnon (Author), Jeff Zeter (Author), Jordan Candlewyck (Editor)

Amazon.com: Developing Skills for the TOEFL iBT, 2nd Edition Intermediate Combined MP3 Audio CD (9781599665245): Paul Edmunds, Nancie Mckinnon, Jeff Zeter, Jordan Candlewyck: Books

13. Well Said: Pronunciation for Clear Communication (Paperback)

~ Linda Grant

Linda Grant (Author)

Amazon.com: Well Said: Pronunciation for Clear Communication (9780838402085): Linda Grant: Books

14. American Accent Training (Book and Audio CD, 2nd Edition) (Audio CD)

~ Ann Cook

Amazon.com: American Accent Training (Book and Audio CD, 2nd Edition) (9780764173691): Ann Cook: Books

Edited by knok

First of all, I just want to offer a huge THANK YOU to Knok for putting this comprehensive list (with links) all together in one place for other TOEFL students. I'm sure that took a considerable amount of time, and it represents a very kind and selfless gesture. I just want to add a few comments about some of the books and links offered above to avoid any unwelcome surprises later...

1) As many know (inlcuding Knok), I strongly favor the "Complete Guide" book by Bruce Rogers when it comes to TOEFL preparation (for several reasons that were covered in another thread). HOWEVER, be careful when ordering this book. If you order it from amazon or several other merchants online, they may be selling just the book plus the CD ROM (and not the 13 audio CDs and answer book with audio scripts, which are obviously a critical component to your study plan). If the price is about $50 - $55 (USD), then I would be almost certain that you WON'T be receiving the audio CDs from that site. Here are 2 separate ISBN #'s that would include all the materials (the 800-page book, CD ROM, 13 audio CDs, and answer book): 1-4240-9939-9 and 1-4240-9937-4 (it's called the "International Edition," but it comes with the EXACT same components).

2) While the "Official Guide" put out by ETS through McGraw-Hill is technically as accurate and realistic in its practice material as the Thomson-Heinle (as it should be, since THEY are the ones making the test), you need to know that even in the new and improved 3rd edition there is a grand total of just TWO practice tests. Therefore, if you are a student who is striving to reach a 26 in speaking or 25 or higher in writing and want several examples of speaking task #5, for example, or integrated writing passages to work with, please understand that through this book you will get just TWO opportunities to do so.

3) Delta's "Keys to the TOEFL" was one of the first books I used in the classroom back in 2005/2006 when this test was being introduced. I think it does an outstanding job in some areas, such as how it breaks down the independent writing. However, some of their integrated writing and speaking tasks are seriously flawed and quite different from the actual patterns on the ibt (such as task 5 with THREE suggestions instead of two, task 6 with four different sections to cover instead of two, lectures in the integrated writing that both agree AND disagree with the reading passages and where the key points between the two passages don't match up, etc., etc.).

I guess buying a TOEFL book is a bit like buying a car -- it really depends on your exact needs (for example, whether you are a first-time TOEFL test-taker looking for an overiew of the entire test OR a seasoned TOFL veteran who needs intense practice in just one area). In any event, best of luck to all of you. May you reach your TOEFL goal as soon as humanly possible!

That is excellent news (the link provided by Knok to the Thompson materials and the fully downloadable audio tracks). This will make a massive difference for students, and I salute Thompson for providing their audio in such an accessible way. Most publishers are nowhere near as generous when it comes to these things.

:-)

It is my pleasure. The books are used for practice. There is no guarantee that after reading or using all these books, test takers will receive a score of 26. It requires a lot of repetitive practice with real people. It would be best if test takers can practice with English or ESL teachers or native speakers who know about the test.

• 1 year later...
I just passed the FPGEE last Sept 2010 and currently preparing for TOEFL ibt. I've seen the list of TOEFL books you have suggested and I'm a bit confuse on which one should I buy. Would you know the difference of 2a and 2b and which one is best suited for 2c is it 2a or 2b ? Appreciate your output regarding this.

I just passed the FPGEE last Sept 2010 and currently preparing for TOEFL ibt. I've seen the list of TOEFL books you have suggested and I'm a bit confuse on which one should I buy. Would you know the difference of 2a and 2b and which one is best suited for 2c is it 2a or 2b ? Appreciate your output regarding this.

Congratulations !!!

2a will be suited to 2c...