Urch Forums

Need suggestions ASAP!!

pharmacist12

Dear all,

I had my TOEFL on June 25th,2011. I got my "HORRIBLE" score yesterday. I did extremely well in my test. I took TOEFL classes and one-one speaking lessons also. My tutors and I were very confident for my test and test results, but, unfortunately I got 89. ( 22 in all except listening:23).

How can I dispute with ETS for my score? Should I go to ETS office in Princeton, NJ and talk with them in-person?

I am going mad. I was well prepared, I did a lot of practice tests, and , I was happy for my performance in a test. I don't understand what's going on with TOEFL and me? Are they doing this intentionally?

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions asap.

Thank you.

Dear all,

I had my TOEFL on June 25th,2011. I got my "HORRIBLE" score yesterday. I did extremely well in my test. I took TOEFL classes and one-one speaking lessons also. My tutors and I were very confident for my test and test results, but, unfortunately I got 89. ( 22 in all except listening:23).

How can I dispute with ETS for my score? Should I go to ETS office in Princeton, NJ and talk with them in-person?

I am going mad. I was well prepared, I did a lot of practice tests, and , I was happy for my performance in a test. I don't understand what's going on with TOEFL and me? Are they doing this intentionally?

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions asap.

Thank you.

(1) Try Solution 1:

Rescore Your Test You can have the Writing and Speaking sections of your test rescored — up to three months after you take the test.

• The test can be rescored only once.
  • If you want both sections rescored, they must be done at the same time.
  • If the rescore results in a change in your score (lower or higher), a revised score report will be provided to you and any previously designated score recipients.
  • The revised scores will become your official scores.
  • Each section costs US$60. Both sections together cost US$120. See TOEFL iBT Fees for payment policies.

To request rescoring, complete the TOEFL iBT Rescoring Request Form (PDF).

Scores are reported online about three weeks after your request for a rescore is received. Your score report will then be provided to you and your designated institutions.

TOEFL: Internet-based Test: Cancel, Reinstate, Rescore

(2) Solution 2:

Relax and repeat the exam. You can do it! Yes you can:)

pharmacist12,

I understand your frustration. I am curious the methods and strategies you used for the Speaking and Writing sections. Judging from your posts, your English seems good, very good. What is your native language? And how would you rate your English ability? (Intermediate, High-Intermediate, Advanced, Near-Fluent, Fluent?)

Who helped you prepare, and how many hours did you spend preparing with tutors directly, and how many on your own?

Have you scheduled another TOEFL, if so when?

Now, to answer your questions:

1) You cannot dispute with ETS. You can apply for a rescoring for Speaking and Writing. Assuming you need 26/24 Speaking/Writing, I do NOT recommend this. You got 22/22 on Speaking/Writing right? Rescoring will cost you $120 and the chance to get both sections improved to 26/24 is pretty low, in my opinion. Also note ( a lot of people forget this ) on rescoring you can get a lower score too!!

Tino

Hi Tino,

Thank you for your advice. I have been preparing for TOEFL for almost 3 years, and, you are right, I need 26/24 in speaking and writing section respectively.

I am fluent in English. I took TOEFL classes in NJ in one of the state universities. Additionally, I took one-one lesson with an ESL teacher for about 20-25 hours.

I followed the format given in Official Guide to TOEFL preparation by ETS. This time , I really did fantastic! I simply don't understand what's going on?

My scores were high before taking coaching and after having coaching, I really improved my skills. I was much more confident than before so there was no chance of getting such a low score (even more lower than my past exam with almost no preparation) this time!!

Pharmacist12,

I am sorry about your scores. I thought that you have passed the test long time ago. Tino, I talked to her on the phone. Believe it or not her accent and pronunciation is excellent. I think that you need to focus on the content. You tend to speak slowly when compared with other test takers I talked to. You might run out of time and miss out some good main points that ETS needed from you. Practice and try to cover all the content as much as possible. The test that I passed, I spoke faster than any other test. In general, tutors always tell test takers to speak slowly because most people tend to speak very fast when they speak their native languages. In your case, you may need to speed up and be confident.

I am sure that you will get there soon. Focus and be confident. I am with you. [clap]

Cheers!

Knok

Hi Knok,

I am not sure whether I had a talk with you or not. I speak very fast in English than in my native language especially when I am answering my TOEFL questions. My tutors and my classmates told me that I am very fast, and, hence, need to slow down a bit. This time, I managed to control my speed and still was able to deliver all the context on time. Actually, I finished ahead of time (about 5-8 seconds) in all questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

For my above problem, my tutor and I talked to ETS for detailed breakdown of my recent score. ETS agreed to us saying that it needs a written request from a student. I sent a letter, I faxed it, and, I sent an email with a scanned copy of this letter also. I talked to ETS guy after 3 days. The customer representative told me that ETS has not received anything, and,ETS can't give detailed score breakdown. ETS is playing around me. Every time, I get different answers from different representatives for the same question.One says ETS needs a letter, another says ETS can't help even with a written,signed request letter.It seems like ETS representatives have no fix standards. Everyone answers in his/her own way. Nobody bothers to put remarks in students' accounts. They say TOEFL iBT is a highly secured exam with minimum chances of errors,then how come many students have cleared TOEFL by fraudulence? Why ETS doesn't take any action against those students and those test centers? They closed many centers recently,but,didn't take any action against these students!! Now,these students are happily enjoying their career after clearing this exam with fraud!!I don't know, what should I do? Please help me..

Thank you all for your advice and support.

Hi,

I am very sorry for the agony that you have been undergone. If I were you, I would applying for regular rescoring. The reason is that there is a big fluctuation in scoring process of ETS. If you feel good about your scores, you should give it a try. The rescore process is taken by two experts; therefore, you would probably have a better chance. Since your complaint is not common in the ETS process and ETS is also not a thoughtful guy, it may take time and may go to nowhere.

You are not alone in this hard battle. Good luck!