See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBT Speaking Question 1

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

IBT Speaking Question 1

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello,

I have started preparing for the TOEFL. My research brought me to the following issue: I have found a lot of "old" format question 1, but it seems there is a "new" format starting with February 2010.

For the "old" format the questions go as:

1. What is the best class you have taken in school? Why was it the best in your opinion? Include details and examples to support your explanation.
    2. Describe o moment or obstacle you had to overcome. Include details and examples to support your explanation.

For this format the template from Notefull is clear and helpful.

For the "new" format the questions go as (or at least as stated in this video TOEFL Speaking - Changes to speaking question types as of February, 2010 - YouTube):

1. Which of the following types of book - science fiction story, biography or a mistery novel - do you think you could not enjoy reading? Support your opinion with reasons and examples.
    2. Which of the following holiday types - a guided bus tour, a private car tour or a backpacking adventure - would you probably not enjoy? Support your opinion with reasons and examples.

For these questions what template would you use?

Even more, which is the standard for Q1 now? I see that in the above video EnglishRaven also stated that Q2, Q3 and Q5 have changed. What should one expect from these questions as well?

What should I expect from Q1: the old format, the new format or could it be any of it?

Thank you!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    This is the new type of question for Speaking 1. Actually it is different in 2 ways, both of which might occur, or only one might occur
    Change 1) Instead open choices, there are 3 or 4 choices
    Change 2) Instead of asking your "preference" it will ask your "advice" for someone (example: "Your friend recently received a large amount of money, should your friend open a new business, save the money, or go back to school? Which would you advise your friend to do, use specific reasons and examples in your answer.")

There is also a change to Speaking Question #2:
    The "old" question would ask you to agree or disagree, or it would give you two choices and ask your preference. The new question ask you to COMPARE and CONTRAST two things AND state your preference (Example: Some people think cats make the best pets, others think dogs do. Compare and contrast cats and dogs as pets, and state which you prefer and why. Use specific details and examples in your answer).

You may get the old format OR the new format. Recently (since August of 2011) I am hearing mostly new format from people who took the test.

Tino

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Tino,

Thank you for your answer.

Do you or anybody else know any new TOEFL books in which you have practice exercises with the new format? And more than that, templates to answer these questions?

Lampard

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage Tseprep's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Looks like TSE from the past

Keep in mind all this type of questions are similar to TSE (Test of Spoken English) questions before iBT

Good post? Yes | No
    True that it is similar to tse.

No, there are no texts updated with these new question types. Not any I know of, and I asked our teachers, and they said there are none yet that they know of either.

Our online school teaches the new formats and has templates for the answers. See my signature or pm me if you want.

Note: if signing up for any toefl class or lessons ask first if they know of the new questions types, and ASK THEM to explain them to you!!! Many schools are not teaching these new types yet.

Good post? Yes | No
    I should add, we are having an online seminar all day Saturday nov 26 that will cover these new types.

Tino

Good post? Yes | No
    There is one more thing ETS make changes or adjust the questions and see how testers reacts. Based on that some times they go back to their old format or change something else on the test. So keep in mind ETS make minor chances and go back and forth. Good luck!

Good post? Yes | No
    I have a question please, does the official guide to toefl bit covers these new format of speaking section? I want to buy it, should I buy it now or wait for the forth edition? Thank you

Good post? Yes | No
    Before you buy it, double check when it was printed. Usually they don't update that quickly, it might be better to contact ETS and try the online questions, again make sure the changes were made within the last few months or less.

Good post? Yes | No
    None of the TOEFL books, NONE, offer explanation of these new questions types. None.

Tino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information