Urch Forums

IBT Speaking Question 1

Lampard8

Hello,

I have started preparing for the TOEFL. My research brought me to the following issue: I have found a lot of "old" format question 1, but it seems there is a "new" format starting with February 2010.

For the "old" format the questions go as:

1. What is the best class you have taken in school? Why was it the best in your opinion? Include details and examples to support your explanation.

2. Describe o moment or obstacle you had to overcome. Include details and examples to support your explanation.

For this format the template from Notefull is clear and helpful.

For the "new" format the questions go as (or at least as stated in this video

):

1. Which of the following types of book - science fiction story, biography or a mistery novel - do you think you could not enjoy reading? Support your opinion with reasons and examples.

2. Which of the following holiday types - a guided bus tour, a private car tour or a backpacking adventure - would you probably not enjoy? Support your opinion with reasons and examples.

For these questions what template would you use?

Even more, which is the standard for Q1 now? I see that in the above video EnglishRaven also stated that Q2, Q3 and Q5 have changed. What should one expect from these questions as well?

What should I expect from Q1: the old format, the new format or could it be any of it?

Thank you!

This is the new type of question for Speaking 1. Actually it is different in 2 ways, both of which might occur, or only one might occur

Change 1) Instead open choices, there are 3 or 4 choices

Change 2) Instead of asking your "preference" it will ask your "advice" for someone (example: "Your friend recently received a large amount of money, should your friend open a new business, save the money, or go back to school? Which would you advise your friend to do, use specific reasons and examples in your answer.")

There is also a change to Speaking Question #2:

The "old" question would ask you to agree or disagree, or it would give you two choices and ask your preference. The new question ask you to COMPARE and CONTRAST two things AND state your preference (Example: Some people think cats make the best pets, others think dogs do. Compare and contrast cats and dogs as pets, and state which you prefer and why. Use specific details and examples in your answer).

You may get the old format OR the new format. Recently (since August of 2011) I am hearing mostly new format from people who took the test.

Tino

True that it is similar to tse.

No, there are no texts updated with these new question types. Not any I know of, and I asked our teachers, and they said there are none yet that they know of either.

Our online school teaches the new formats and has templates for the answers. See my signature or pm me if you want.

Note: if signing up for any toefl class or lessons ask first if they know of the new questions types, and ASK THEM to explain them to you!!! Many schools are not teaching these new types yet.

I don't think an explanation is necessary. The structure of the answer remains the same , with the only difference that you have to pick a subject . Personally, I think this is a much easier method - the examinee has more options. And the answering technique is the same - give two reasons why you dislike/like that and two examples.

• 2 weeks later...