Urch Forums

Toefl iBT speaking tips

rpt2be

TOEFL iBT Speaking tips

The best way to practice is speaking with native speakers of English as much as possible. For those not living in English-speaking countries, finding native speakers of English to speak with can be quite challenging. In some countries, there are English-speaking tutors or assistants who can help students with their conversation and overall communication skills. Another way you can practice speaking is to join a club that involves speaking in English about movies, music, travel and so on. If no such club exists in your area, try starting your own club and invite native speakers you know to join, too.

Here are a few suggestions for ways to build your speaking skills:

• Practice stating an opinion or preference within a 1-minute time limit.

• Read a short article (100–200 words), and make an outline that only includes the major points of the article. Use the outline to summarize the information orally.

• Find listening and reading material on the same topic. The material can provide similar or different views. (The Internet and the library are good places to find information.) Take notes or create outlines on the listening and reading material and do the following:
    • Orally summarize the information in both, and then orally synthesize by combining the information from the reading and listening materials and explain how they relate.
    • State an opinion about the ideas and information presented in the reading and listening material.

[*]Record yourself as you practice, and ask yourself questions such as:

• Did I complete the task?
    • Did I speak clearly?
    • Did I make grammatical errors?
    • Did I use words correctly?
    • Did I organize my ideas clearly and appropriately?
    • Did I use the time effectively?
    • Did I speak too fast? Or too slowly?
    • Did I pause too often?

• Monitor your own progress by keeping an audio journal of your speaking practice. You can also ask for feedback from friends, tutors or teachers. Teachers can use the TOEFL iBT Speaking Scoring Guide to evaluate your practice.

• Practice your speaking skills on TOEFL Practice Online at www.ets.org/toeflpractice81.html and receive a score within five business days from certified ETS raters to help prepare you for test day.

Hi,

For the last tip........I have some doubts that is Ets raters really rate the online practice test? It says that some speech rater software will rate our talk instead of person.So how reliable is the Ets practice test? or I understood the whole thing in different way?

Thank you.

I dont know who rates the ETs practice exam.and like all the practice exam of ETS they seem to be quite easy than the real one. I think the purpose of the practice exam is to get you more comfortable with yourself and with the test. One more thing If someone get a high score I think that someone will feel more comfortable in the exam. Its a mind game... the practice exam is just the same as the other practice exam in the reviewer... anyway those tips are from the ets site ...i just coppied it

Hi,

For the last tip........I have some doubts that is Ets raters really rate the online practice test? It says that some speech rater software will rate our talk instead of person.So how reliable is the Ets practice test? or I understood the whole thing in different way?

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Is it just me or does none of the tips work? I've been living out of my home country for nearly 12 years now and through out this whole time I've mainly spoken English in all of my schools since they were all international schools. I currently living in India and I have a lot of friends that speak English as their first language and I don't even have a tiny bit of a problem communicating with them. Despite that I only manage to get like a 24 for every exam I take even though my SAT score of 2150. Moreover, I've seen plenty of guys who get a score above 29 for speaking and are still unable to sufficiently communicate with foreigners. I took the exam 9 times already and wasted like $175 x 9 = $1575 and more on private tutoring and cram schools. ETS truly is a disaster for me. I don't even know if I should be glad that my parents are able to pay this much. ETS is a lie but there's nothing anyone could do about it because that all colleges have to check your English skills. So please, if anyone knows or has some good tips that might really work on me, please do tell me because I am desperate for a good score in TOEFL.

Let me help. Go to this link: About Us

Submit your speaking. We will get back to you with an assessment and perhaps be able to assist you. There is no charge, you need give no personal information other than an email where we can send your assessment. There is no charge.

Thank you,

Tino

Let me help. Go to this link: About Us

Submit your speaking. We will get back to you with an assessment and perhaps be able to assist you. There is no charge, you need give no personal information other than an email where we can send your assessment. There is no charge.

Thank you,

Tino

Wow thank you Tino, this might really help since they're actually listen to how I speak. Thank you I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to check it out after my semester exams. Thank you