Urch Forums

How to write an essay??

samo

Written the toefl 4 times before getting the magic number in the speaking section.The irony is that had a perfect 30 in writing for each test and I hope the following tips help.

1.The integrated test is pretty easy and all you need to do is to is first give a brief introduction to what the whole topic is about,then give an explicit statement on the contrast between the lecture and written passage.You can then devote the remaining paragraphs to elucidating these differences.Its also important to ensure that you essay is at least 150 words long.The longer ,the better.I avarage around 200-230 words in this section.

2.For the independent speaking test,its imperative to plan meticulously before commencing.Use 5 minutes maximum for jotting down about 5 points to support your opinion on a particular topic together with examples,then write for not more than 20 minutes and use the remaining 5 minutes to edit your text.

Your introductory paragraph should first give a brief introduction to the topic,then state explicitly your view before giving a summary of the reasons why you hold that particular view.The ensuing paragraphs should then be used to further explain your points(1 point per paragraph with an example)in a SEQUENCE AKIN TO THAT IN YOUR INRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH.You then conclude be reiterating your opinion .For eg imagine you were asked to give your take whether marriage is important or not,you can go like;

Due to the high rate of divorce in our society together with associated psychological effects on both partners and more especially children,many believe marrige is not important but I believe marriage is a good institution because it impacts many lives and families in a very positive manner.The need for recognition,security,companionship and an overall consummated state of health makes marriage significant.

You can then proceed to explain the points listed in the sequence as above ie discuss recognition in paragraph 1,security in 2,companionship in 3 etc before concluding.Here too remember to write at least 300 words.Hope this tips help.All the best

i thought you guys here in this forum to help each other ...but i think there is no one here wants to give me some tips for the independent writing?..thank u:(

Patience, first of all you left your post in a speaking section and no one respond, you get upset. Now some people responded, so I hope this will help you. However not everything that is written in the forum will be helpful. In writing and in speaking, if everyone say the same thing you need to get away from the crowd. Know your audience, is your writing or speaking make sense to Americans? From what I experienced, A Korean will write or speak so another Korean will understand, a Chinese will write or speak so another Chinese will understand. But you need to write or speak so an American will understand. Good luck!

Hi Samo for independent essay we need to write introducton atleast 3to 4 sentences which should include background information plus restate the topic ,then write 2 or 3 body paragraphs each 5to7 sentences.It should include specific details about the topic sentence and examples.Finally conclusion

Hi friends,

I totally agree with Yelta. The way she mentioned for integrated task 2 is perfect. I am telling this, because I already tried this.

On my first attempt I got 22 in writing. Then I applied for re-scoring, and I got 24. After that I used one book( I don't know which one is that, but for sure that I got that book in Barnes & Noble), and I got 27 in my second attempt.

That book mentioned same way of writing an essay.

Besides this, this a site,I found, on which you can take a look for the book which says that how to write an essay.

Barnes and Noble Book Previewer