Urch Forums

toefl ibt preparation

mqblm

hi, i am new in this forum. i have recently joined this forum , and i need help.i am gonna have toefl ibt test by next month. Is there someone who can help me in this regard , actually i wanna practice my writing section through this forum . I just want to send my essays on this forum and is there someone who can check my essays and correct me and can guide me in other sections as well . Positive attitude wil be really appreciated.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is your generation different from your parents’ generation?

The issue of how one generation differs from another arouses much controversy among people with different perspectives and backgrounds. Time goes by very fast and people’s beliefs and thoughts change in every generation. So, the misunderstanding among generations is very common. The difference between my and my parents’ generation is very obvious. Well, I will cite some evidence to substantiate my point of view.

First and foremost, people in my parents’ generation lived in Soviet Union. They were told that Soviet Union was the best place to live and they could not see anything outside the ‘gates’ of it. They could not notice the glaring errors made by communists because they were well shrouded. Besides, people were intimidated and they could not dare to utter their thoughts and to unleash their emotions. So, these people were biased with Soviet Ideology. So, it is not surprising that this generation differs from mine. They are not used to disclose their ideas unlike my generation. Unfortunately, sometimes parents think that their children do not have the right to reveal their thoughts and make major decisions by themselves. They reckon that their children should obey to them. That’s because they were brought up so. Some days ago I came across with two women talking about the benefits of Soviet Union. They said that they liked that regime and that everyone was happy and well-off in that time. I was shocked when one of them mentioned that bread was cheaper and people did not suffer from living in penury. Unfortunately, such kinds of people still live in Today’s Georgia. They put prior only on basic needs to live on and do not realize that they were deprived of their personality. I really misunderstand them and do not approve their ideas. But, people with such beliefs and attitudes are not too many nowadays, I think. For example, my parents and my lovable people from that generation do not have such ideas.

Secondly, technological achievements are one of the most important factors which cause serious differences among generations. Time goes by very fast and everything is evolving from time to time. There were not such kinds of achievements in technology in my parents’ generation. Therefore, they are not used to utilizing new technologies, such as computer and spend more time on learning to use it than we do. Besides, my mom often admonishes me because of my dressing style. She wants me to wear more classic clothes and says that I am not looking like a girl. But, I cannot obey her and wear the very clothes she likes. Anyway, I understand her attitude and do not reprimand her because of this.

So, in the showdown, I want to say that what I have mentioned above have pointed up the most important causative factors of misunderstanding among these two generations.

Please tell me how good is my essay? I prepare for the TOEFL exam and I have it in May. I need some advice about my essays. Than you in advance:)

hi, i am new in this forum. i have recently joined this forum , and i need help.i am gonna have toefl ibt test by next month. Is there someone who can help me in this regard , actually i wanna practice my writing section through this forum . I just want to send my essays on this forum and is there someone who can check my essays and correct me and can guide me in other sections as well . Positive attitude wil be really appreciated.:)

A small peice of advice for you, if you don't mind, don't use the words like "gonna", "wanna" in your spoken english as well as your essay writing. Goodluck with your preparaion, with hard work and determination I am sure you will do great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tamta, the passage is good in some point while weak in another.

You used a good and nice variety of vocabulary and the introduction is good, but the whole article is not well organized. The second paragraph is obviously longer than the third one and kind of boring for the reader because it has too much details ,so that, the third paragraph looks awkward in the length comparing with the second one.

You should separate the paragraphs to be easier to follow by the person who read it.

Hi Tamta,

did you take TOEFL in May?

Your essay looks good, you used a wide range of vocabulary. The only thing is as 3boooda said, you should adjust the length of the paragraphs. If you do so, you will definitly get a 29-30 in writing.

Thank you a lot for the advice:) I will try to take into account them. Yes, I have already taken the exam and I got 27 points in writing:) Thank you a lot:)

And, also I want to take the TOEFL exam for the second time. I have already registered. The reason is that my total score is 82. 15-in reading, 20-listening, 20-speaking, 27-writing.. You see that the points are very different from each other. I reckon that this is a fault of the fact that I was very nervous at the beginning... I hope I will get a better score now:) My exam is in August:)

Edited by wasleys
Housekeeping

Should one judge a person by external appearances?

The issue of whether one should judge others by their external appearances arouses much controversy among people with different perspectives and backgrounds. As far as I am concerned, I concur with the opinion that people should not trust the appearance. In the following discussion, I will try to cite some evidence to substantiate my point of view.

First and foremost, it is true that people pay attention to the appearance at the first sight, because it is easier to be seen. A beautiful woman is attractive for every man, and in most cases men look for the good looking women. So, appearance has crucial importance for them. Sometimes, the external charm does not reflect the beauty of the soul, unfortunately. A woman may be dazzlingly beautiful, but may be completely ill-mannered. But, not only women, the same happens about men too. Sometimes, a guy may seem handsome and benign by his appearance, but he appears to be very impertinent, cunning and rude eventually. This happens because such kinds of people are very adroit in concealing their sordid intentions. Because of the fact that their external appearance is a lure for light-minded women, they tend to be sly with them. Ultimately, the gullible girls are left disappointed. So, it is obvious that we should not trust our first impressions, and external appearances of people, otherwise the result may be irreversible. I have heard lots of similar stories. For example, I know a girl who fell in love with a very handsome man. She trusted him and did not make any kind of research to find out if he was telling the truth. She went away secretly with this man. And after several days it was discovered that this man had a wife and three children, and that he lived in the village. So, this girl has made an egregious mistake, and she will regret her step for good. So, I want to say that we should not trust external appearance; otherwise we may make a costly mistake.

Secondly, there are myriads of occasions that people are very unpleasant in appearance, but their inner world is so beautiful and rich that after getting them acquainted in person, they tend to become very attractive for us. Just, their benevolence, intelligence and many other positive traits are overflowing from them, and this makes them attractive and sometimes, the most lovable persons for us. So, we cannot judge a person by the eye color, or the length of the nose. We should try to detect what is shrouded behind the eyes. It is said that eye is the mirror of the soul and I agree completely. That is why I always try to look people into eyes. And when I meet people for the first time, I search their eyes. I, just, do not pay attention the tag of their clothes. It does not matter how much costly clothes a person wear. Just, we should be dressed neatly and decently. The quality of the cloth does not talk about the character of the person. But, the style really depicts our traits, somehow. So, when we say that people judge each other by external appearances, this can be understood as we pay attention to each other’s dressing styles. This is right and quite a prudent approach to the matter, I postulate. As for me, I try to be dressed in light colors, as are green, yellow, pink and others. These colors express my personality, somehow, and help me to make a good impression on others. But, on the other hand, there are lots of impoverished people in the world. They cannot afford themselves wear posh clothes, and they are dressed in the same clothes all the time. So, in these cases, we do not have the right to judge them because of their dressing styles and external appearances. They, just, yearn to be dressed as others are, but do not have the opportunity of this.

By and large, I have arrived to the conclusion, that we should not judge each other because of our appearances. Let’s try to see what is hidden behind the external beauty and then make the conclusions.

it looks good. However, if I were you , I would give 3 reasons instead of two. Although, Ican't think of any other reason , but I think they look for an essay of 5 paragraph :introduction, 3 reasons, and conclusion. I think you can eliminate a little bit of explanation for first and second reason and add third reason. Also, I think you can add few sentences to conclusion, like a sumary of reasons. I think you are very creative writer and you write beautifuly, just you have to pay attention to little thing.

another thing, never start a sentence with But..it is considered run on sentence. (your second reason).

Thank you Estaitra. I will take into account your advice :)Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

And what about the readin material.. I know that you can type Toefl Free Reading Practice in Google and there are given some free tests. But, I suppose that is not enough in order to get high score in reading. You can buy some Toefel books, such as Official Guide for the TOEFL Test; Barron's Toefl, Kaplan, Longman IBT and some others. These books have disks byu which you can practice sample TOEFL Tests. They are helpful, really:) With best wishes, Tamta:)