Urch Forums

TOEFL standards aren't high enough

rsaylors

I find that a lot of people in academic pursuits and even if they score perfect on the TOFEL they end up feeling alienated because they don't speak conversational English. The secret is

read a lot of books in English, watch a lot of PBS in English and just live life in English in preparation for going to a English speaking country. If you do that then you will not only do well on your test, but you will feel much more a part of the new culture you are entering

You know you've made it when you can watch the American version of the office and honestly get the off-beat humor.

rsaylors,

thanks for you suggestion and I do appreciate them. Don't worry I use English books when I were in school in my native country ( Philippines) and I think even those members here who are Pharmacist from other countries use English books. They even took there Pharmacy license exam in English and passed.

Is there another version of "The Office" I thought it is only in English maybe in the USA there is another version for all those other Americans who speak Spanish and other languages. I remember whenever I go to California and arrive in LAX there is always 2 languages spoken by the airport authority (English and Spanish). Anyway, here In Western Canada shows here are just in English and yes "The office" is also in English no other language or dialect and I do watch it and can understand the humor. Even the humor of two and a half men is good...

I think you are barking at the wrong tree. You should contact ETS TOEFL: Contact Us and tell them that their standards are not high enough and not in this forum because we can't do anything about their standards.

Again, thank you for all your suggestions hope you continue giving us constructive criticism.

• Like 1

Doing what rsaylors says will help your TOEFL score. But it will not guarantee a perfect or near perfect score. I know 2 TOEFL teachers that have gotten less than perfect scores on the Speaking. Native speakers both of course.

Tino