Urch Forums

Delay in receiving my TOEFL iBT scores

sundar86

Hello,

I took up my TOEFL iBT on May 14th 2011 in Chennai, India. I am yet to receive my TOEFL scores through email nor its being updated in my TOEFL iBT profile. I dropped an email to toefl@ets.org reporting my concern of delay in receiving my test results they asked me to get in touch with ETS Office of Testing Integrity (1-609-406-5430, fax: 1-609-406-9709, or e-mail: TSReturns@ets.org).

Since it was an extended holiday weekend due to memorial day off yesterday I sent an email to TSReturns@ets.org and got my response now ,Please find the excerpts from the email,"Your scores are currently under an Administrative Review due to possible irregularities that occurred on test day. This review may take approximately six to eight weeks to be completed. Once completed and if concerns are found, you will be notified of the outcome of the review. If there is any information you would like to provide to assist us with expediting this matter, please contact TSReturns@ets.org."

I am not able to figure out what irregularities occurred on my test day. Due to connectivity issues and proxy problem my test was delayed by 2 hours and after it started off i didn't have any issues. I even called up my test center and they reassured faith by informing me that my test result were sent by the testing center and it was received by the TOEFL team and got the acknowledgment for receiving it.

Please help me out guys I am not ready to wait for 6-8 weeks to receive my scores.

I called up ETS Testing Integrity Office and briefed the problem that I am facing now. They have some concern on the testing center facility in which i took up my test. ETS is pretty stubborn that they will not refund my test fee. Since its under administration review.

I called up my test center and inquired whats the reason for holding the results due to irregularity and came to know that room in which I took up the test was a back up one and due to network issues in main testing room they have arranged for the back up one. They have already sent the photographs of the test room but still ETS needs more authentication.

Its really not fair on ETS part to put test takers responsible for this issue its the test center responsible for this mishap. They have to think about the future & career prospects of the test takers in stake because of delay in announcing the results.

Hey,

Even I wrote the test on May 14th in Adyar, Chennai. I mailed ETS and got the below reply after 4 days!!

My college application deadline is 31st April. But I have asked them for 10 days extension due to this. I called up the number in mail. But, the person was unavailable and I left a voice mail to call me back. Still no response. :mad:

"Thank you for contacting the TOEFL Program.

Dear Candidate,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Please be informed that in regards to the below mentioned query, you are requested to contact the Office of Testing Integrity. The contact details are:

Phone: 1-609-406-5430

Fax: 1-609-406-9709

Email: TSReturns@ets.org

We hope this information is helpful."

Don't know what I am gonna do!! :(

Now I called back again. Spoke with Maria. She told me that its under review and I have to wait 4-6 weeks. I told her that the deadline for my app is over. She asked me to take another test if I need it soon in an irritating tone. I spoke too soft!! Should I call back and argue? What do you say guys? Its really frustrating!! ETS sucks!!!! My dad told me to take IELTS, but I took TOEFL. I regret it now!!

I took up the test in Winspire Language World Private Ltd,T.Nagar,Chennai. There is no use in calling up Testing Integrity Office for help. Better keep in touch with your testing center to know the updates. Today when i rang to my testing center executive he shared with me that the evaluation is done and prometric has shared the scores with ETS. But ETS needs some authentication and clarifications to be done before releasing the results. Its not a fair game played by ETS.

A piece of advice for you register for the TOEFL iBT on June 5th,2011 in chennai and retake the test if you are so desperate on receiving the scores without much delay. But the test fee would be 200$ due to addition of late registration fee. Don't worry its not the end of the road for us in fact there are lots of other factors which goes into ones selection for higher education. Be positive everything will fall in place for you!!!

In my case deadlines are around june end & mid of july so I have enough time to retake if I don't get the result on time.

I dont think calling the test center will do anything. Is it a Prometric center?

ETS has a big problem now with test integrity (ie: Cheating). It is getting really huge now. Some licence boards will no longer accept any TOEFL score from outside of the US, none. I bet there is some question about cheating at the center where you took the test. If this was just some issue with the set up of the computers, it would not take 6-8 weeks. I bet ETS is analyzing all the tests from that day and looking at the answers and the security photos etc.... and that takes time.

Bottom line: It sucks, but you should take the TOEFL again or IELTS immediately. Dont count on this test you took May 14th.

Tino

My test center executive said it pretty crystal clear evaluation is done and scores are ready with ETS but they are not posting it until they clear there apprehensions of irregularities which in this case need photo evidence to understand the test was conducted free & fair manner. The protractor & invigilator has given a clean chit for the test conducted. What more do they need. The test center executive in fact says whatever needed by ETS to authenticate & validate the test conducted they will be ready to provide to them ASAP. They even gave me a estimated date by end of this week or mid of next week. I am planning to be patient till then. probably I will take a call on retaking the test by mid of next week.

You understand that the test center is not ETS. They do not work for ETS. Often in cheating, it is the test center that is involved somehow. ETS is not going to tell the test center anything more than they tell you. My advice is not to care about what the test center says, and retake the test under the assumption that this test will be invalidated. Or take IELTS.

Tino

[Read from bottom]

Hello,

Fine. But, send me a letter stating that there is a review going on and my scores will be delayed by 6-8 weeks. I need at-least this to file.

Thanks,

Gokul.

-------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 06:04:14 -0700

Subject: RE: TOEFL Score Date [#173801]

Good Morning,

Please allow the stated 6-8 weeks as previously mentioned. Additionally, you will be contacted with information at the conclusion of the review.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:49 AM

To: TSReturns

Hi,

The only issue I remember having on the test day was that the first computer I was allotted, crashed in a minute due to some audio error. I was told to wait for about ten minutes and was assigned a different computer. My test went smoothly and I had no issues from then on. Is there any way to expedite this as I need the scores very urgently and I don't have enough time to take an other test.

Meanwhile, Could you send me an official letter stating that the scores are delayed due to problems in your end. When can I expect this letter to be delivered? You can also email me a scanned copy of this letter.

Gokul.

-------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 05:19:55 -0700

Your scores are currently under an Administrative Review due to possible irregularities that occurred on test day. This review may take approximately six to eight weeks to be completed. Once completed and if concerns are found, you will be notified of the outcome of the review. If there is any information you would like to provide to assist us with expediting this matter, please contact TSReturns@ets.org.

-------------------------------

To: TSReturns

Subject: FW: TOEFL Score Date [#173801]

Importance: High

Hello,

I have spoken to Maria (on June,01 20:28) but I didn't get any appropriate response. I would like to know what exactly is the issue and if I can be of any help. My application deadline is already over on 31st May and has been extended for a week just to receive TOEFL scores on my request. This process is putting my future career at stake. I called up the test center and they confirmed that there are no issues on their end. So, why is there a delay? Can you send me a mail officially stating that there is a delay in your end processing the scores, so that I can file it with the admissions office? Also, send me an approximate time within which this issue will be resolved. Please, respond asap.

Thanks,

Gokul.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 10:19:13 +0000

--------------------------------

Subject: Re: TOEFL Score Date [#173801]

Thank you for contacting the TOEFL Program.

Dear Candidate,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Please be informed that in regards to the below mentioned query, you are requested to contact the Office of Testing Integrity. The contact details are:

Phone: 1-609-406-5430

Fax: 1-609-406-9709

Email: TSReturns@ets.org

We hope this information is helpful.

In future correspondence with TOEFL in regard to this matter, please refer to this Case Id # 9611665.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. If you have additional questions, please contact TOEFL Customer Service at 000-800-100-3780 or visit the Web site at TOEFL: Home. If you contact us via e-mail, please include all previous correspondence or a summary of information regarding your inquiry.

Be sure to add @ets.org to your address book or safe sender list to ensure that you receive e-mail messages from ETS.

TOEFL Services /JP 1813

Case Id # 9611665

--Original Message--

-------------------------------

Date: 5/29/2011 3:27:04 PM

To: toeflsupport4india@ets.org

Subject: TOEFL Score Date

Hello,

I have taken iBT on Saturday, May 14, 2011. According to TOEFL: Internet-based Test: Get Scores the scores should have been posted on 25th May. But, still it shows "Not Available" in the View S

Test Detailscores tab. I am required to FAX the scores before 31st as my deadline for my application is the same. Please mail me the score posting date at the earliest or any other procedure to expedite the same.

I called the test center. They confirmed me that all the scores were processed and sent to ETS and there was no problem in their end.

These ETS people don't seem to understand normal English to phrase my mail. They just keep asking me to wait irrespective of my query!! :@

* SO DUMB *

I know it is frustrating. This however is showing what I am saying to be true. It is not an issue of some technical problem at the test center, nor is it an issue that the test center will be informed about by ETS. ETS thinks, or even knows, that there was fraud going on at this center for this test. They are not going to reveal any details about this to anyone. Even the people you talk to at ETS don't know anything. They are only going to say: "Under review, please wait 6-8 weeks." And after 6-8 weeks it will not surprise me at all if they cancel your scores. I am not saying they will, but it is certainly possible.

You are not going to get any further information out of ETS. However, your idea to get an official letter from them is quite a clever idea. You may be able to contact your school and get a conditional admit pending later submission of scores. But again, my advice for you it to just take the TOEFL again (at a different center!) or take IELTS, and just give up on this TOEFL. In the long run this will be the less stressful path, even if it is unfair.

Tino

Hello Tino,

So you are trying to say that for no fault of us we have to face these hassles. Why can't we put them accountable for there brutal acts. Brutal I say since if the test scores are scrapped for all the test takers from a test center then many would end up not sending there scores before deadlines and it would eventually hamper ones selection. The hard earned money spent for registration is in vain. I want to escalate this to highest level possible in ETS. So that those who are facing this mess will get proper justice. Its really really unfair on ETS to keep us awaiting for scores and making us plead to extend the submission of scores to the respective universities.

For the members of this forum who keep defending for all the acts of ETS and TOEFL. Please show up your faces here.

I have raised my concerns in TOEFL India FB page. They are smart enough to disable people from posting information on there wall. I had to just leave my concerns in a existing posts comment section.

A delay of 1-2 weeks is acceptable in my case but 6-8 weeks is highly unacceptable.Only when ETS officials begotten kids had to face this they will come to know the real pain & trauma one goes through.