Urch Forums

Do you think I can make it to magic 26?

mirac

I took the toefl again yesterday. On Q1 I finished my answer 4 sec early. Q2, I was cutt off when I was about to say my conclusion. Q3 I finished 3 secs early. Q4 I did not conclude but I said all the things that I wanted to say. Q5 was not good because I was cut off when I was about to say the choice of the two solutions and I was cut off.So I was cut off early.Would it affect my score? Q6 I was cut off when I was about to say the last sentence for my answer.Do you think I can make it to 26?Any comments?I do not want to expect..

My guess is that you may get 26 if your repossess to other 5 questions (other Q 5) were of high toefl rubric standards. You need average score of 20/24 from all scorers from all questions. Responses need to be intelligent, accurate, with higher level of grammar & vocabulary, and scorer should understand what are you saying. Partially incomplete response generally does not affect score unless response wasn't fully developed, inaccurate with lack of higher vocabulary & grammar, and problems with pronunciation were evident.

No one else can judge it unless they personally hear it.

Good luck, I hope you get 26.

Edited by nvboy

To be honest, I think you're worrying about something that isn't very important. The purpose of the TOEFL speaking tasks is not to prove you can time yourself perfectly so that your final sentence ends exactly as the timer hits 00:00. As nvboy pointed out, your score is dependent on three criteria: delivery, language usage, and topic development. As long as you achieved excellence in all three areas (as described in the scoring guide, a copy of which appears in many of the top TOEFL texts), you can earn enough points for 26/30 or higher, regardless of whether you left a couple seconds of silence on the recording or got cut off in your final sentence.

The only task you described above that would concern me would be #5 (problem/solution) since it sounded like you summarized the conversation but did NOT give your own opinion about the man's or woman's problem. That actually WOULD affect your score (in the area of topic development).

By the way, you don't need a "conclusion" for #2 or any other question. It is not essay, and repeating your opening phrase (such as: "... and that is why I like dogs more than cats...") really does nothing to improve your score or impress the raters with your English.

In any event, best of luck. I hope you reach your goal.

Thanks alot..yeh what I mean for Q2 was when I was about to say thats why.....Another thing also I only thought of 1 reason for Q2 but I gave 2 examples..I will just keep my fingers cross.Hope this time I can make it.I badly need the 26 score...