Urch Forums

#023 Discussion: In some countries, teenagers have

Erin

In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.

This one's a little tricky. I have some ideas of what a good essay should include, but I want to hear what you guys have to say first since I really, really like hearing all these voices from all over the planet!!

Posted by holmes:

I really dont know what you mean with this topic cos I think it is easy.

I agree with this idea.

My suggestion is that

Firstly, students learn how to be more responsible through their jobs.

Secondly, they will spend their money wiser.(or understand the value of money)

Thirdly, They can can learn how to cooperate with other members when they work with.

To cluclude: working when teeagers are students will benefit them throughout their lives...

there are some my outlines for this topic. Im on the right way , Erin??. why do you

think this is tricky??

By the way , I use " spend money more wisely" or spend money wiser.

Posted by 21cn...

Good point!

Since the topic asks us to use specific reasons and datails, I wonder if we should cite some specific examples to support our point of view.

BTW, if we don't think it's a good idea, maybe we can say that:

1)Minors taking a job will break the law in most country. So the opinion that students shouldn't have jobs may be more reasonable since the gorvenments may think about it very carefully.

2)Students' main task is studying. They shouldn't devote too time on other activities.

3)It's not good for making contemporary friends if the students spend their spare time in making money.

Posted by ME :D

I've got a lot of thoughts about this topic, especially since I myself started working when I was 14 years old.

There are many things to say, to write about, but I believe to write an effective essay, we must address one key point: What is the primary identity of a teenager?

The answer to this question is not an easy one, and depends largely on the values of one's culture and one's own beliefs. In many countries, for example, it's almost unthinkable for teenagers to hold jobs, as society sees them primarily as students, and as such, should focus as much energy as they can on their studies.

In other countries, on the other hand, it is quite acceptable for teenagers to take jobs. In such countries, many people believe that teenagers should have lots of free time outside of school to do whatever they wish whether that be not studying, hanging out with friends, playing sports, or working. Many people in the US are of this mind.

I remember once, for example, talking with my aunt in Santa Fe about my cousins, who are finishing high school. I was telling her about my students, about how hard they study for years and years in the hopes that they might get into Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, etc. She just said, "Oh, I don't want my sons to do that. I want them to enjoy their lives right now. They'll have time for that kind of pressure when they're adults."

So, I believe that in some cultures, teenagers are expected to study, study, study, in which case, they could not hold jobs. In other countries, teenagers are not expected to devote all their free time to studying and could take a job if they wanted to.

And these issues I've raised are the ones I would put in my essay, were I to write one for TOEFL. I believe that this essay topic clearly requires us to bring these issues up.

What do you guys think??? Do you see my point?

Erin

holmes again...

Hey, this is not just a post but an essay.An excellent essay. I give you 6 marks for this essay, Erin.

I think, I got your point.However, these issues that you've raised are too large and it is really hard for people who have just 30 minutes to finish their essays.

That's my opinion.

21cn again...

Sorry, Erin, I couldn't get your point.

Do you think we should compare the two conditions in diffient countries? In which case we should compare, and in which case we should express our own point?

Thanks!

Finally, me again...

these issues that you've raised are too large and it is really hard for people who have just 30 minutes to finish their essays
Yeah, I know it's a lot to tackle in only 30 minutes, but I would at least bring it up in a sentence or two. I've noticed that TOEFL doesn't give out 6.0's to people if they don't address what I refer to in class at the "deep idea."

Sorry, Erin, I couldn't get your point.

My point, here, 21cn, is that we should talk about the underlying assumptions of the statement. Of course, people will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of working while you are a student, but this topic also asks us to talk about teenage students.

Since we need to differentiate between teenage students and students in general, we need to address whether teenagers should work at all. In this topic, we can understand "teenagers" to mean "people who are not yet adults," so we should talk about when people should start taking such responsibility.

HTH!! (Hope that helps!!)

Please post further questions here.

Erin