Urch Forums

How can I get a higher score in the TOEFL?

coonan

Your scores indicate that you are likely stronger in oral communication than in written communication.

You could possibly improve your Reading and Listening scores by reviewing the ETS guide, and learning the reading and listening question types and strategies, giving more focus to the Reading Section. Your strength in oral communication should allow you to score higher in the Listening Section with just a little added understanding of what is behind some of the question types. Add on another TOEFL resource (like Barron's or Cambridge) that gives you seven full practice tests for lots of realistic TOEFL Reading Section practice. If you can improve on your own to get the scores you need in those sections, more power to you. These resources will test you, with the time limits, and score your results for you (in Reading and Listening only). If you are not getting the scores you need, get professional help from a teacher who specializes in TOEFL Preparation.

For the Speaking and Writing Sections, I would really recommend that you get a teacher who can evaluate your responses and help you improve them. Self-study here often has disastrous results.

Hope this helps you to improve in general. If I knew your specific goal, maybe I could help further.

Thanks a lot for your advices. The reading section is the hardest part for me. However, my problem with the writing that I'm very slow in writing. I'm also slow in getting ideas and making sentences. In all the TOEFL test that I had, I wrote less than 300 words in the second part of writing. That's why I got lower score.

You know, I just had my TOEFL test yesterday, and I hope that I'll get a higher that 74.

Thank you bro.

Glad to help, Coonan. I didn't know you were that close to your test! Strategies for the last few days before the test can be drastically different from normal strategies. We wish you the best, and make sure you give us the good news when you get your results.