Urch Forums

study materials!

marianha

Hello , I have just finished with gmat, got 680 , now I have to give Toefl, I have aprx 2 month, but i am completely confused as I have no idea from where to start! Please advice me what books to do and I wonder if there are some decent online toefl tests?

My weak point is writing, and I am terrible at spelling! I would be very grateful if you advice some additional books for toefl writings and grammar as well~

cheers

I would personally recommend "The Complete Guide to the TOEFL -- iBT edition" by Bruce Rogers. If you follow the link on the bottom of this message to my website and go to the "What you need to take lessons..." page, you will find links and more information by scrolling down to #4 (such as the ISBN #). I think it's a great book overall, but especially when it comes to integrated writing and speaking; you need to be careful with many other TOEFL texts since most (believe it or not) don't actually replicate the integrated writing task correctly.

By the way, you seem to have an excellent command of grammar and vocabulary, but the word you are looking for is "advise" (VERB) rather than "advice" (noun).

Best of luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Corey only a question ??' Rogers's bokk is very good, pretty good.............as a result of changes in TOEFL IbT (minimal changes and I already answered in another 3d and I would not to do cross posting) we should be worried about that, or continue to study and trying to improve......that's all.

Thank you Sir

Yes, I believe since the changes made to the iBT have been so minor, "The Complete Guide to the TOEFL -- iBT Edition" by Bruce Rogers would still be at the top of my list. I looked at the description for the 4th edition of the ETS Guide on amazon.com (which hasn't been released yet), and it looks promising. I will definitely buy a copy and review it as soon as it comes out. However, I seriously doubt it will have even close to the amount of authentic material, especially for integrated speaking and writing, that most of my students require (the majority of the people I work with need to reach 26/30 in speaking and 25/30 in writing).

When McGraw-Hill released the 3rd edition of the "Official Guide," it was basically identical to the old 2nd edition except that they had added one full practice test. However, that still meant that there were only 3 integrated writing tasks in the whole book with which to practice (as compared to 9 or 10 good ones in the "Complete Guide") and only two or three sample tasks for each type of integrated speaking. In any event, I look forward to seeing the new 4th edition.