Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: A list of linking words

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    1. Enumeration
    <ul>[*]first(ly),... second(ly),... third(ly),... [*]first,... furthermore,... finally,... [*]one,... two,... three,... [*]to begin/start with,... in the second place,... moreover,... and to conclude,...[*]next,... then,... afterward,... lastly/finally...[/list]
    above all, last but not the least
    first and foremost, first and most inportant(ly)

2 Adition
    a) adding new info: Also, again, furthermore, further, moreover, what is more, then, in addition, besides, above all, too, as well (as)
    b) comparing: Equally, likewise, similarly, similar to, correspondingly, in the same way, in a like manner
    c) summation: in coclusion, to conclude, to sum up, in brief, briefly, to summarise, altogether, overall, to make the long story long, for all that, all in all, all things considered, generally, on the whole
    d) result: so, therefore, as a result, as a consequence, accordingly, consequently, now, then, because of this, thus, hence, for this reason, due to, owing to, that implies
    e) contrast: however, nevertheless, only, still, while, (al)though, yet, in any case, is spite of, despite that, after all, on the other hand, even if, unlike, different from, in contrast, conversely, (on the) conterary, instead
    f) explanation: in other words, such as, to clarify, for instance, to explain, to ilustrate, for example, to put it (more) simply
    g) showing opinion: in my opinion, to/from my way of thinking, in my view, to me, I believe, I think, I agree, I guess, I hope, I imagine, I suppose, seemingly, possibly, perhaps, maybe, probably, certainly, almost, doubtless, definitely, it seems to me that, it appears that, to my mind

HTH! Renata

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Good list, Renata. One question, though--does your book called these words "linking" words? I prefer to use the term "transition" word because "linking" word to me sounds very close to "linking verb." The technical term for these words is "conjunctive adverb."
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Good post? Yes | No
    No, it's not a book. This is a paper I got from my teacher and she calls them 'linking words and phrases'. I don't know the real name, but I guess it doesn't really matters...

Renata

Thread Information