Urch Forums

What should I do?? Please I need help!!!

econosur

Hi guys,

I need your help please!!!!.

Today I received my TOEFL scores and I got 92: Listening 21; Reading 24; Writting 25; Speaking 22. I hold a conditional offer from a top UK university subject to a minimum overall score of 100 with a minimum of 23 in Listening; 24 in Reading; 24 in Speaking and 23 in Speaking.

In summary the thing would be:

R - L - S - W - T

Requirement: 24 - 23 - 23 - 24 - 100

Obtained: 24 - 21 - 22 - 25 - 92

Last date I have to take the test would be August 25th in order to have time to apply for Visa after the university gives me an unconditional offer.

I am really scare of not having enough time or skills to achieve the scores required, but I have made a lot of efforts to be admitted to the programme and also to obtain support to fund my education that I don't want to miss this oportunity.

Please guys, could you help me with your thoughts and experience. What should I do?. Is it possible to achieve those score levels in this short period?. Please advice me, I really need your help. Should I hire a personal tutor, buy some books, attend an online course??....what???.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

guys please, I really need your thoughts.

My university allows applicants to take any of the following tests:

IELTS 7.0 with a min. of 6.0 in each component

TOEFL 100

CAMBRIDGE CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY IN ENGLISH - B

CAMBRIDGE CERTIFICATE FOR ADVANCED ENGLISH - A

PITMAN EXAMINATION IN INTERNATIONAL ESOL - Mastery Level

PEARSON TEST OF ENGLISH - 69 with a minimum of 59 in each component.

In order to maximize the probability of success, I am willing to take up to 4 of these tests. I will take TOEFL and IELTS plus 2 other. Any of you have experience with the other alternatives?, maybe Cambridge or Pearson?.

Hi econosur,

I advise you to take the toefl test as many times as you can before AUG 25th.

I think you can increase your score in listening at least 7 or 8 points if you practice

I also received my scores two days ago and I got 20 in the listening. I used to get 26 and 27

in my former attempts.

Try to increase words account in the writing, you may also get some points.

in my opinion, 24 in the reading indicates that you don't need a professional help. Except for the speaking

section, you may try to get some help, practice or speak with natives.

I hope you the best....

I have TOEFL iBT exam on 25 th of August, that is my first attempt, but I really need a score near 100... I am happy to see you here, cause you are going to take the exam on 25 th of August also, as I understood...

I wanted to find someone, who was taking the test or who had some experience, but unfortunately could not. :(

You can add me in skype or facebook. My skype: mik.hope; facebook: Mik Hope.

May be we could help each other. I can not afford for private tutor.

Now my advices: Since your scores are pretty high, I think that you yourself can get the desired score through practicing and being calm (never nervous and anxious that something will not happen as you want them to be. Everything will be alright.). I am not a native speaker. I advice you to find native speakers and practise with them. Probably you have books. Softwares. Go on. Do exercises from them. 1 month is enough for you. You really can get the desired score, I think.

Hi,

I went to school in UK. When a university gives you an unconditional offer, shouldn't it mean they will accept you no matter what?

You should take the august test, if you still not pass it, you can actually talk to the university. They are not too fussy about the english test.

cevf

Hi guys,

Today I received my TOEFL scores and I got 92: Listening 21; Reading 24; Writting 25; Speaking 22. I hold a conditional offer from a top UK university subject to a minimum overall score of 100 with a minimum of 23 in Listening; 24 in Reading; 24 in Speaking and 23 in Speaking.

R - L - S - W - T

Last date I have to take the test would be August 25th in order to have time to apply for Visa after the university gives me an unconditional offer.

I am really scare of not having enough time or skills to achieve the scores required, but I have made a lot of efforts to be admitted to the programme and also to obtain support to fund my education that I don't want to miss this oportunity.

Please guys, could you help me with your thoughts and experience. What should I do?. Is it possible to achieve those score levels in this short period?. Please advice me, I really need your help. Should I hire a personal tutor, buy some books, attend an online course??....what???.

Hi,

I went to school in UK. When a university gives you an unconditional offer, shouldn't it mean they will accept you no matter what?

You should take the august test, if you still not pass it, you can actually talk to the university. They are not too fussy about the english test.

cevf

Hi,

I hold a "conditional" offer, subject to english proficiency requirements.

Regarding your statement about "they are not too fussy", I can tell you that I already contacted the programme's department and also admissions and they answered me the same: We are firm on our requirements. Sorry.

If you want my opinion, I think is very stupid that they are willing to leave behind a student ranked 1st of their class (1:1 according UK grades), fully funded by his government by a merit-based scholarship, just for 8 points that probably would improve after a couple of months in the programme.

I have been studying several books and videos on TOEFL strategies, and all I can tell about it is that TOEFL is a 70% english proficiency measurer and a 30% strategy test (I just realized a few days ago. Last time I went for the test, trusting just on my english skills). This....bothers me. But wth.....I will have to dance the music they like.

Cheers and thanks for your opinion.

Hi guys,

R - L - S - W - T

Evetything is possible and everything depends on your motivation :)

My suggestions:

Speaking - just try to practice every minute you have. Answer questions 1 and 2 every free minute, summerise what you have read or heard and so on.

Writing - I'm not quite sure that it is possible to do smth. Your score is really high.

Reading - read as much as possible and look up in the dictionary every unknown word.

Listening - practice tests, ted.com, one minute american science and many other podcasts.

Good luck!