Urch Forums

Listening without taking notes?

econosur

Hi guys,

I've been practicing the listening part (lectures) without taking any notes or sometimes no more than three specific names, and I feel very comfortable to answer the questions. In fact, I am scoring better than when I tried note taking strategies. When I try to take notes I miss the conversation so barely I get 70% of it. On the other hand, when I just listen I catch more than 95% of the lecture.

I am able to deeply focus, close my eyes and imagine everything that the speaker is saying. Focused 1000%.

Is it possible or you don't recommend it at all?. Has anyone tried this before?, How was the outcome?

I agree with you especially for the conversations in the listening, but it is not a good idea to do

that in the speaking section.

.......yesss....because the speaking section needs specific details unlike listening where the questions remind you the answer or image in your head.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue depends on your personality, learning style, and ability to juggle different academic tasks, specifically listening, interpreting, and writing - all at one time.

This requires practice, and you should be practicing with real TOEFL experiences - 6-9 short passages, 5-6 questions each, in real TOEFL time limits (about 10min per listening passage & the related questions), using authentic TOEFL preparation materials, like ETS, Bruce Rogers, Cambridge, Longman, etc.

When practicing within such parameters, push yourself to take notes, trying to at least capture the main topic and the 3-4 main points related to it. Keep practicing and perhaps you will reach a level where you hear, interpret and write without losing anything.

However, if you've tried this and it just doesn't work, then you'll need to make a decision to continue trying to gain the skill (which pays off if you can get it), or to give up and begin practicing without notes. Its more important to listen without taking notes if note-taking prevents you from hearing part of the information.

Here are some tips I offer my students to help them take notes during listening passages effectively:

1) Stare at the picture and put yourself in the situation.

2) Develop the skill of jotting down important notes and key information without looking at your paper for more than a quick glance (just to make sure you're not writing on the table!!)

3) Measure your success by comparing your scores as you develop your skill of note-taking.

4) If you don't see any progress whatsoever after about 20 passages, then consider giving up on note-taking, and just listen carefully.

Hope these ideas help you!

• 3 years later...