Urch Forums

TOEFL IBT SPEAKING RESCORE from 24 to 26

inspiration

Hi, Dear TOEFL IBT community on URCH forum, I have been taken toefl many times for my FPGEC license. I took the toefl ibt on 01/18/2013, I got 24 in speaking and 29 in writing , 25 in reading and 26 in listening. I again took the toefl on 02/02/2013 and got 24 in speaking , 29 in writing and 23 in reading.

24, 24 two times in speaking.

Do you think I should apply for rescore for these exams. Is there any person recently that got 26 after rescore.

I need as many people as to see is it really worth to spend $80 to apply for rescore as most of the case it does not make any difference.

Please share your experience.

I have had several students apply for rescoring and seen their 24/30 increase to a 26. I'm not sure of the exact odds, but you probably have at least a 30 - 40% chance of your speaking score going up one more level from 24 to 26. For those who score 23/30 or below, though, I don't think it's worth the rescoring.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Inspiration,

It's worth ordering a rescore. I have heard of two instances where a rescoring resulted in 26 from 24 or 25.

Albanna, check Notefull speaking on YouTube , it's a great tool for structuring your answers. I used it in my prep, followed the exact structure recommended & I got 26 in speaking on first attemp.

Best wishes.

THanks alot BOEING ,

what about the other parts ,reading, listening and writing ? is there any advice?

thansk again

Hi Albanna,

in my opinion, the key is to practice a lot before the actual exam, because the questions tend to follow the same pattern. For the reading, the key to finishing all the questions in the allotted time is to not waste time reading the whole passage. Just read the passage that relates to the question you are answering. The questions willl state which paragraph it relates to & question one will normally relate to paragraph one and so on. It may sound weird but its a strategy that works, you just need to practice it a couple of time to see it works.

For the writing , practice writing essays on the topics in the writinng section of the official toefl guide, you can compare it to sample essays on Test magic website, or if you can get someone to grade the essays for you. Generally, the essay should be 4 or 5 paragraphs , first & last being your introduction and conclusion.every other paragraph in between should each be devoted to one point. Give examples where possible.

for the listening. The key is effective note taking. Again , Practice often to to know what the probable question s will be& that way you will be able to jot down only the relevant points.

hope this helps & best wishes in your exam

• 5 months later...

Hi Dears,

I took TOEFL IBT several times and in my last attempt I scored overall 99 (R-28, L-26, S-20, W-25), however I need a minimum of 100 to be admitted into the university I want to. Do you think it is worth applying for rescoring, what is the possibility of getting increase in my score by one point? Moreover, I want to request rescoring for only one section, but I'm not sure about which, Speaking or Writing. Which one has more chance to be increased at least by one point? Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

Ayaz - Your Speaking score sounds especially low. Considering the rest of your scores, I would expect a few points higher. But that is without knowing you and your speaking abilities. What did you get on your previous tests (in Speaking)? A well-prepared TOEFL candidate has a range of expectations for each section in general. Each test is different, but you should have a feeling about what to expect after each test, and this should not be too much different from the actual score you receive. If you honestly expected higher on this Speaking Section, and you have actually scored higher in the past, I would say: Go ahead with the rescore! If you were expecting an 18 or 19, and you got a 20, then do not rescore. Do not rescore if you went to the bathroom after the fourth question for example (and got zeros for questions #5 and #6), and thus you could not expect anything higher than a 20.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dears,

I took TOEFL IBT several times and in my last attempt I scored overall 99 (R-28, L-26, S-20, W-25), however I need a minimum of 100 to be admitted into the university I want to. Do you think it is worth applying for rescoring, what is the possibility of getting increase in my score by one point? Moreover, I want to request rescoring for only one section, but I'm not sure about which, Speaking or Writing. Which one has more chance to be increased at least by one point? Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

Ayaz657,

I was in the same position. I got 99 (R27/L28/S23/W21) and I really wanted to get at least 100. I saw from many forums and classes that 100 with 25 in each topic would be like a magic number for many universities. So I aimed this 100. I taught that my writing was a little bit below what I could have got and my teacher taught that my speaking was a little bit lower. And I tried rescoring. I was right! My writing improved 3 points, so now I have a 102!!! I am very happy and I wanted to share my experience here. If you are confident that you did better than what you got, I think you should try. I think it is better to pay for rescoring that to go through all the test stress again. And I was also afraid of having a lower score in Reading and Listening that I did pretty well. Just like you.

Hope this helps. Hope you do well and get yours 100 points.

Best regards,

Carlos

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I took Toefl 4 times. And i got 4 times: 106 points.

The strange thing is, that my Reading and Listening increased, whereas my speaking and writing decreased.

In my last test i got a 106 (29/30/22/25). I need 109 (24 in each section).

Now i requested a rescore and i have been waiting now for more than 2 weeks.

Do you think, the fact that i am waiting allready for such a long time means that they changed nothing?

If not, how do you think my chances are to get a +3 point with a minimum of +2 point in speaking (i felt very confident about the writing in the test (realated to the ones before must be at minimum a 27); in speaking I did great at the first 5 questions, with the 6. i totally mest up.....))

What would you advice if i do not recieve a 109 (24)? Take the test again seems dumb, because i practiced a lot and did not improve....

Thank for your responses.

• 9 months later...
I have had several students apply for rescoring and seen their 24/30 increase to a 26. I'm not sure of the exact odds, but you probably have at least a 30 - 40% chance of your speaking score going up one more level from 24 to 26. For those who score 23/30 or below, though, I don't think it's worth the rescoring.

i've just learnt my toefl score. my total score is 88 and sections: R 21, L 21, S 22, W 24. I need 79 total but 23 in speaking, so i just need 1 point more. do you think it is worth applying rescore for speaking? I need quick answer, thanks.

• 1 month later...

I took my 3rd exam on Aug 30th and received the result 10 days later; R 22, L 24, S 24, w 24. I needed 26 for speaking to get my pharmacy license. I believed that I deserved a higher score for speaking so I requested a re-scoring and fortunately it jumped from 24 to 28(This time I did not receive any email to be informed that my re-scoring had been processed. I just checked my score table at ets website and found out the change in my speaking score) I still cannot believe that I could make such a huge improvement after re-scoring.

So my recommendation to those who got 24 in speaking is trust your gut if you think you should have gotten a higher score and go for re-scoring. It is definitely worth it.

I have to mention that I had got good for (Q1&Q2) and fair for (Q3&Q5) and (Q4&Q6) and after re-scoring they gave me good for Q3&Q5:)

I believe I gave a perfect response for Q1& Q2. For Q4 and Q6 I was cut off at the end of my responses. I had short of time while saying second example of Q6 but I was confident as I was speaking.

I followed Notefull strategies for speaking; they are great!

Edited by mkh

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I recently have taken the test and my scores are:

Reading: 30

Listening: 29

Speaking: 22

Writing: 27

As you see all of them are good except my speaking. The university which I want to apply to needs 23 on speaking section. Should I ask for rescoring or not?

Also I had taken a preparation test the week before the actual one and my speaking score was 26, I thought you should know.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys!

i just took my toefl (10/26/2014) and my scores are just fair R:21 L:23 S:22 W:22.. the only section i wanted to improve is the speaking section. I need 26 for me to be able to take the exam for nurses in Nevada. Is it possible that i could jump from 22 to 26? i was so down right now and i feel so helpless.. :miserable::miserable::miserable::miserable: i got another appointment for the exam 3days from now. and i feel so frustrated.. i dont know what to do.. any advise from you guys??

• 10 months later...
Hi, Dear TOEFL IBT community on URCH forum, I have been taken toefl many times for my FPGEC license. I took the toefl ibt on 01/18/2013, I got 24 in speaking and 29 in writing , 25 in reading and 26 in listening. I again took the toefl on 02/02/2013 and got 24 in speaking , 29 in writing and 23 in reading.

24, 24 two times in speaking.

Do you think I should apply for rescore for these exams. Is there any person recently that got 26 after rescore.

I need as many people as to see is it really worth to spend $80 to apply for rescore as most of the case it does not make any difference.

Please share your experience.

i took Toefl IBT exam for 33 times trying to be licensed pharmacist, as you know for that we have to score minimum score of 26/30 and if you are not native speaker it's almost impossible to score more than 22.23 or 24..this exam is polite way from americans and national board of pharmacy to tell all foreign graduates we dont need more pharmacist in america because the market is saturated,in 1990s and till 2003 when america was in need for pharmacist there was no english exam even and after they started having more pharmacist they came up with phone interview to assess your english fluency then toefl exam and lastly toefl ibt where they increase scores of (listening,reading,writing and speaking year after year)..stop wasting your money..this is just way from americans to make money and to let you take the exam again and again..same as they fail people in FPGEE exam and NAPLEX exam for so many times to just get money..

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone. I am also like you guys, having a hard time getting a 26. My highest so far is 24 and the time I got it my reading was 20. The next time my listening was 20. I always get a high grade in reading. I have no idea how to pass this because getting a tutor did not work for me. I have approached a lot of tutors already and I spent quite a lot of money. I am a Pharmacist in my country. Everybody whom I know is wondering why I can't pass the speaking because I speak good.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...