Urch Forums

Please have a look at my essay!

lionontheshore

Question: Small town VS big cities

Few years back, I used to live in a lively and populated city which is situated in the middle of the district. Years have passed since then, and I have ended up living in a tranquil town, which is not quite like the city I used to live when I was young. As a person who has experience of living in two contrasting places, I think they both have pros and cons. However if I were to choose where to live for the rest of my life, I would prefer to live in a big city rather than a town.

The first reason why I would like to live in a city is because of its public transport system. Big cities obviously have greater population compared to small towns. Not all of this population can use their automobiles and the roads to travel, as that would cause unimaginable traffic congestion. As a result, most of the cities have developed public transport system such as subways, buses and so on. I find this one of the most important merits of living in a city as it is very convenient to travel to places despite the fact I don’t have a driving licence.

Another reason why living in big cities is better than living in small towns is because they have better medical facilities. In big cities, there are more large hospitals with experienced doctors and sophisticated equipments. When you are gravely ill, the ambulance could easily reach you and bring you to the nearest hospital. On the other hand, small towns are usually endowed with only privately owned clinics. This could mean you might have to travel a long distance to a large hospital when you are ill or come across a lethal injury, which could be pretty life threatening. Not only that, it is easier to go for medical checkups when the hospital is near to where you live. Living in a big city could literally be safer than living in a small town.

Last, but not the least, I don’t enjoy the quiet and idyllic atmosphere of small towns. Entertainment is an unknown territory in them. There are no amusement parks, nightclubs, shopping malls, etc, which are quite common in the big cities. Although some people might not like the noisy atmosphere of big cities, that is what I like about them. With all the neon lights and enticing shops lined up next to a bustling road, taking a mere stroll outside your house can be really enjoyable when you live in a city. Moreover, cities often organise festivals and parades on special occasions. If you live in a city, you would never run out of things to do!

Some people envy me for living in a quiet town. However, I can’t help to disagree with them. Although there are positive aspects of living in a town, I don’t think they are enough to cover the negative aspects. I know that I am a ‘city’ kind of person, and I can’t wait to move out from this town someday to live in a city again.

That's 516 words in total.

I am eager to hear about what you think about it. Thank you!