Urch Forums

My Toefl Experience

juicydrew143

Hi everyone,

I just want to share my TOEFL experience that I took last week. I know that it is hard and I know that it takes lots of practice to be able to make it. I even cried many times because of frustration. I used so many materials and practice tests. I even asked my husband to give me insights about the speaking part ( he is a native eng speaker). I can say that I prepared for the test for about 1 1/2 month.

I used these materials

a. Cambridge

b. Thomson Guide

c. Barrons

d. Longman

e. Kaplan

d. ETS guide

and many online practice tests that I can find.

My review was a pain. I review 8 hours a day. I answered practice tests for Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing for the first 4 hours and then Speaking in the Next 4 hours.

Even if I studied for a month and a half, I felt that my preparation was not yet enough. The test was somewhat confusing because it was time pressured. I felt that I would have done better if it was not.

This is how my Toefl test went.

THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM : We went to a hotel near the Testing Center. I didn't study this last day because I want to be fresh the next day so my husband and I just went to dinner after we made an ocular survey of the place where I was supposed to take the test. I slept at 10pm and that was early for me because I mostly sleep past 12. I woke up at 2 am and because of anxiety I was not able to sleep well. Please try to get plenty of sleep and don't be a worrier like me because if you don't it will pull your concentration down.

THE DAY OF THE EXAM:

I arrived at 7:20 am. My test begins at 8:00. There was two Chinese guys who came first so they finished filling up the forms and started the exam earlier than me. I suggest you bring earplugs. Please. Without it, you will be distracted like me. When the next 4 girls after me checked their microphones, I was already in the reading part of the exam. It made me so disdtracted. I answered, if i remember it right, 54 questions in reading. It was so exhausting. Listening was hard too. I wasn't able to concentrate because I needed to go to the bathroom. I had 39 questions. It was hard because of the time pressure.

In speaking part, i stutter a lot but making an outline while the computer was giving the instruction helped me.

This was my pattern.

1. ANS:

description:

R1.

Ex

R2

2. SAME AS NUMBER 1

3. The announcement is about ......

The f/m student gave her/his suggestion about this.

Firstly

Secondly

4. The reading passage concerns the topic of ____________________

The professor further discussed it by: ______________

5. The problem of the student was

The --- student gave ----- suggestions

First and Second

For me the ____ suggestion was the best because

6. The professor discussed _____ and defined it as ______

He further explained it by .....

The writing part was not difficult. It was distracting though because I was on the writing part, others were still on the speaking part and the Chinese girl beside me was reading all the questions out loud and repeating it over and over and over again. I even wanted to kill her... Hehehehehe... Anyways, I will keep you updated on how my scores went. Thanx

Did you receive already your scores?

Hi everyone,

I just want to share my TOEFL experience that I took last week. I know that it is hard and I know that it takes lots of practice to be able to make it. I even cried many times because of frustration. I used so many materials and practice tests. I even asked my husband to give me insights about the speaking part ( he is a native eng speaker). I can say that I prepared for the test for about 1 1/2 month.

I used these materials

a. Cambridge

b. Thomson Guide

c. Barrons

d. Longman

e. Kaplan

d. ETS guide

and many online practice tests that I can find.

My review was a pain. I review 8 hours a day. I answered practice tests for Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing for the first 4 hours and then Speaking in the Next 4 hours.

Even if I studied for a month and a half, I felt that my preparation was not yet enough. The test was somewhat confusing because it was time pressured. I felt that I would have done better if it was not.

This is how my Toefl test went.

THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM : We went to a hotel near the Testing Center. I didn't study this last day because I want to be fresh the next day so my husband and I just went to dinner after we made an ocular survey of the place where I was supposed to take the test. I slept at 10pm and that was early for me because I mostly sleep past 12. I woke up at 2 am and because of anxiety I was not able to sleep well. Please try to get plenty of sleep and don't be a worrier like me because if you don't it will pull your concentration down.

THE DAY OF THE EXAM:

I arrived at 7:20 am. My test begins at 8:00. There was two Chinese guys who came first so they finished filling up the forms and started the exam earlier than me. I suggest you bring earplugs. Please. Without it, you will be distracted like me. When the next 4 girls after me checked their microphones, I was already in the reading part of the exam. It made me so disdtracted. I answered, if i remember it right, 54 questions in reading. It was so exhausting. Listening was hard too. I wasn't able to concentrate because I needed to go to the bathroom. I had 39 questions. It was hard because of the time pressure.

In speaking part, i stutter a lot but making an outline while the computer was giving the instruction helped me.

This was my pattern.

1. ANS:

description:

R1.

Ex

R2

2. SAME AS NUMBER 1

3. The announcement is about ......

The f/m student gave her/his suggestion about this.

Firstly

Secondly

4. The reading passage concerns the topic of ____________________

The professor further discussed it by: ______________

5. The problem of the student was

The --- student gave ----- suggestions

First and Second

For me the ____ suggestion was the best because

6. The professor discussed _____ and defined it as ______

He further explained it by .....

The writing part was not difficult. It was distracting though because I was on the writing part, others were still on the speaking part and the Chinese girl beside me was reading all the questions out loud and repeating it over and over and over again. I even wanted to kill her... Hehehehehe... Anyways, I will keep you updated on how my scores went. Thanx

Hi! I already received my scores last Friday (02/20/2015) R -25 L-25 S- 23 and W - 28 total of 101 =) not bad...but i should have done better in speaking if only i didn't stutter a lot...but it was fine because my aim was 76 and they didn't give particular score in Speaking for the nurses here in Georgia, US so it is fine!...=) I am planning to repeat the exam again once i have stayed here a lot longer and become more fluent. Edited by juicydrew143