Urch Forums

My toefl score was 450 in PBT. But problem?

asad100

Erin, Today, I checked your website, to be candid with you, it is really hip. A few months ago, I gave my first toefl test and got my score 450.

I got 50 in reading section and 3.0 in TWE and 40's in other two sections. For now, i'm gonna take a computer based test by the end of january, 2003. Can you tell me how many hours should I spend on listening and other two sections daily just before the test date.

Yesterday, one of my dogs gave a CBT and got corrected 18 questions in listening and 13 in reading. Overall, his possible score was like this:

120 - 180. Could you give me a ball mark figure where his score would be?

Just tell me should I increase my test date by mid feburary? or try to attempt at a january date.

After getting my score card in my hands, I have been keeping in touch english day to day for 30 minutes or so whether reading news or writing personal views on ongoing political scenario.

This is my first time writing something at a toefl website. I hope you would give me a respond back. Okay. its time for to hit the sack. I gotta jet!

p.s : I'm really puzzled how can I get a good mark in listening section?

Asad.

Can you tell me how many hours should I spend on listening and other two sections daily just before the test date.

It's up to you, Asad. It's up to your desired score, too. Listening and Reading make up about 1/3 of the total score each. Grammar and Writing make up the rest. All of them require time to master, and I agree with Cinder that practice will be the best way. However, how to practise is the main problem. In my eyes Grammar is the easiest section. Listening, Reading and especially Writing need more time. So I will advise you to do the Grammar exercises first. And listen to some American radio program daily. I know a girl who always brings her headphone with her to listen to the BBC (and other programs), even in the class and on picnics (she's pretty good at English)! And you should post your essays here in the TOEFL Essays room. Write at least one essay per day. About the Reading, please use official materials (which are published by the ETS) only. Those are the most crucial points I can sketch in such a big topic.

Just tell me should I increase my test date by mid feburary? or try to attempt at a january date.

Asad, I think only you can answer that question. It depends on your capability of estimating how much you believe in yourself. But as an outsider, I suggest you to take both tests in Jan and Feb if your finance strength permit, and to take the Feb test only, if it will not affect your application process or something like that. But for both cases, try your best and visit TM frequently for there're many useful things here ;).

Overall, his possible score was like this:

120 - 180. Could you give me a ball mark figure where his score would be?

You can visit the TOEFL official site http://www.toefl.org to download the Score invertion table.

And Asad, one more thing I keep wondering: what do you mean by writing:

Yesterday, one of my dogs gave a CBT and got corrected 18 questions in listening and 13 in reading.

I've never heard of such a smart dog :D!!!

300 to ya,

phuong

You do not understand what it means, it is a cool slang that you normally hear on your personal idiot box by Afro-Americans. It simply means "friends"

Example: Sam is my great dog -> Sam is my great friend.

Idiot box -> TV.

Cool -> good, stylish, hip

Normally, you can hear like this: Peace out Dog

Peace out = Good bye

Dog = Friend

If you want to write its spelling, you can write as "dawg"

It is just a matter to be a couch potato and you will learn lots of slang terms on Tv though I don't watch English flicks because of my busy schedule.

Flicks = movies, features

Couch potato = a person who just spends most of their time on watching tv programmes.

OK, Chou! ( Good-bye)

"Dog" is a very informal word that you can not speak with your boss or other newly friends, it would be better for you if you speak it with your bosom pals only otherwise you will be landed in hot water.

Bosom pals = close friends

in hot water = into trouble, bad condition

It sounds to me I'm being a slang expert but I'm not.... :)

First of all, it is a non-standard English and I personally think they do not take a test of any slang terms in the profressional exam. Though, Idioms are much more important to learn than Slang terms. They are part of a language and even they would like take the test of active idioms not rare ones. For example: You're kidding, you're all ears, Are you pulling my leg? Your momma is going to have a cow if you don't get back to home early from school.

You're kidding = you are joking

You're all ears = you must listen carefully, give your full attention at something

Are you pulling my leg? = Are you joking with me?

Have a cow = being angry, furious

One more point with regard to your above question, the slang terms change so fast it is very difficult to keep them learning. That's why it has been the hardest section for teachers to teach them to their students. :o

For now, I gonna hit the sack ( For now, I am going to bed for sleep).

See ya later! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to ýncrease your toefl score is taking a full toefl test in your computer. you can buy powerprep toefl cd (which is the best). and you have to take full toefl exam at least 3 times in a week.

and also you have to memorize some synonym , Ýt helps you in the reading part.

good luck