Urch Forums

Tips for writing the essay

RhymeConveyer

I still have 19 days to study for my TOEFL CBT. I think I'll do fine with the Structure/Reading/Listening, however, I'm concerned about the essay. :(

- How many words should I type?

- Would it be better to type a short essay that covers all the important points, or a long essay that is composed of duplicated points?

- Would it be better to use simple words that I'm aware of how they're spelled, or complicated words that make the essay look better, with a possibility that I've spelled some of them incorrectly?

- Any suggestions for improving my writing skills?

Here's what I'm currently doing to improve my writing skills..

1. Browsing through Microsoft Encarta's Dictionary.

2. Watching more American movies and taking notes.

3. Browsing through the written essays on Testmagic.com :D

Is that enough?

Any help regarding this would be appreciated!

Come Down My friend!! Preparing for TOEFL in a short time is a nightmare,but, Here is your answer... [banana][banana][banana]

- How many words should I type?

I guess up to 300 words would be nice & adequate :D

- Would it be better to type a short essay that covers all the important

points, or a long essay that is composed of duplicated points?

Hmm....you should write around 300 words as I suggested and also

-try to come up with a variety of words or vocaburary. It's better to show off your skill of writing through synonyms and idoms.

-It's crucial that you should make your writing concise and straight to the point.

-It's much easier to make up some examples to make your essay longer and make your point more clear.

- Would it be better to use simple words that I'm aware of how they're spelled, or complicated words that make the essay look better, with a possibility that I've spelled some of them incorrectly?

If I were you, I would use words that I spell them correctly.

However, you should practise writing different topics. There are many proper words for each topic : environment, school and so on.

Here's what I'm currently doing to improve my writing skills..

1. Browsing through Microsoft Encarta's Dictionary.

2. Watching more American movies and taking notes.

3. Browsing through the written essays on Testmagic.com

Is that enough?

I think No.3 is definitely an awesome idea!! [banana]

Also :

- I guess you should do a lot of reading. Through this ways, you will learn various ways to make your writing smooth and pleasing.

-You should find the time to correct your essay during your test. Everybody can make a mistake, so, it's better to fix it while you can.

-Try to post your essay in Testmagic's forum. I did that eventhough nobody correct them but still I can read others' essays and earn many new ideas.

-You can corect others' essays to practise your structure skill.

P.S. Since I still have to wait for 2-3 weeks to receive my essay score, I probably should judge nobody. haha However, I wish you good luck with the test and my tip is to stay calm and well-prepared

[banana][banana][banana][banana]