Urch Forums

FPGEE - TSE-TOEFL iBT new regulations

knok

NABP.net National Association of Boards of Pharmacy

http://www.nabp.net/indexfpgec.asp

Quote:

Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee™ (FPGEC®)

English Language Proficiency Requirements

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee™ (FPGEC®) recently made amendments to the requirements for FPGEC Certification, which include changes to the accepted English language proficiency examination and what constitutes a valid test site location.

Candidates who submit an application to the FPGEC Certification Program on or after April 1, 2010:

* Must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language™ (TOEFL®) Internet-based Test (iBT) as the sole English language proficiency examination. Score reports from the paper-based TOEFL and the Test of Spoken English™ (TSE®) will no longer be accepted for FPGEC Certification.

* Must take the TOEFL iBT at an Educational Testing Service® (ETS®) test center located within one of the NABP member and associate member jurisdictions including the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, nine Canadian provinces, two Australian states, and New Zealand. The FPGEC will no longer accept TOEFL iBT score reports from international ETS test site locations.

* Must not take the TOEFL iBT at the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test center located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard. Score reports will not be accepted from this test site location.

Candidates who submitted an application prior to April 1, 2010, will have until June 30, 2010, to successfully complete the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification as currently required. On June 30, 2010, all FPGEC candidates will be subject to the provisions outlined above.

To eliminate multiple trips for internationally located candidates, NABP suggests that candidates try to schedule their TOEFL iBT on a date near to their scheduled Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination® (FPGEE®) administration date. Currently, all FPGEC candidates must also take the FPGEE at a US test center.

Please refer to the FPGEC Application Bulletin for more information.

NABP National Association of Boards of Pharmacy --> examination--> FPGEE--> FPGEE FAQ

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the FPGEC Application Bulletin for complete information on the application process.

1. What examination is accepted for the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification?

Effective April 1, 2010, the TOEFL iBT is the sole English language proficiency examination accepted for new candidates seeking FPGEC Certification. Score reports from the paper-based TOEFL and TSE will not be accepted from new candidates beginning April 1.

2. What if I am a current FPGEC candidate and have already scheduled or plan to take the paper-based TOEFL and TSE?

To accommodate current candidates who were part of the FPGEC Certification Program prior to April 1, 2010, TOEFL and TSE scores reports will be accepted; however, candidates must pass these two examinations no later than June 30, 2010. If a candidate is unable to pass the TOEFL and TSE by June 30, 2010, he or she must contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and schedule an appointment take the TOEFL iBT.

3. Where can I take the TOEFL iBT?

The FPGEC will only accept TOEFL iBT score reports from ETS test centers located in NABP member and associate member jurisdictions. This includes the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, nine Canadian provinces, two Australian states, and New Zealand. See the District Composition section of the NABP Web site for a full listing.

Please note: The FPGEC will not accept any score reports from the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test site located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard.

4. What if I am a current FPGEC candidate and have already scheduled or plan to take the TOEFL iBT (or TOEFL and TSE) at an internationally located ETS test center?

To accommodate current candidates who were part of the FPGEC Certification Program prior to April 1, 2010, scores reports from international ETS test site locations will be accepted until June 30, 2010. If a candidate is unable to pass the TOEFL iBT (or the TOEFL and TSE) by June 30, 2010, he or she will need to contact ETS and schedule to take the TOEFL iBT at a test site located in one of the NABP member or associate member jurisdictions. In addition, the FPGEC will accept score reports from the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test site located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard, from current candidates until June 30, 2010.

Edited by knok

Wow. That's pretty drastic. What happened at 'the TOEFL iBT at the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test center located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard'?

I'll stick this thread for a while and make an announcement in the relevant forums. :)

Quote:

English Language Proficiency Requirements

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee™ (FPGEC®) recently made amendments to the requirements for FPGEC Certification, which include changes to the accepted English language proficiency examination and what constitutes a valid test site location.

Candidates who submit an application to the FPGEC Certification Program on or after April 1, 2010:

* Must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language™ (TOEFL®) Internet-based Test (iBT) as the sole English language proficiency examination. Score reports from the paper-based TOEFL and the Test of Spoken English™ (TSE®) will no longer be accepted for FPGEC Certification.

* Must take the TOEFL iBT at an Educational Testing Service® (ETS®) test center located within one of the NABP member and associate member jurisdictions including the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, nine Canadian provinces, two Australian states, and New Zealand. The FPGEC will no longer accept TOEFL iBT score reports from international ETS test site locations.

* Must not take the TOEFL iBT at the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test center located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard. Score reports will not be accepted from this test site location.

Candidates who submitted an application prior to April 1, 2010, will have until June 30, 2010, to successfully complete the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification as currently required. On June 30, 2010, all FPGEC candidates will be subject to the provisions outlined above.

To eliminate multiple trips for internationally located candidates, NABP suggests that candidates try to schedule their TOEFL iBT on a date near to their scheduled Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination® (FPGEE®) administration date. Currently, all FPGEC candidates must also take the FPGEE at a US test center.

Please refer to the FPGEC Application Bulletin for more information.

NABP National Association of Boards of Pharmacy --> examination--> FPGEE--> FPGEE FAQ

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the FPGEC Application Bulletin for complete information on the application process.

1. What examination is accepted for the English language proficiency component of FPGEC Certification?

Effective April 1, 2010, the TOEFL iBT is the sole English language proficiency examination accepted for new candidates seeking FPGEC Certification. Score reports from the paper-based TOEFL and TSE will not be accepted from new candidates beginning April 1.

2. What if I am a current FPGEC candidate and have already scheduled or plan to take the paper-based TOEFL and TSE?

To accommodate current candidates who were part of the FPGEC Certification Program prior to April 1, 2010, TOEFL and TSE scores reports will be accepted; however, candidates must pass these two examinations no later than June 30, 2010. If a candidate is unable to pass the TOEFL and TSE by June 30, 2010, he or she must contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and schedule an appointment take the TOEFL iBT.

3. Where can I take the TOEFL iBT?

The FPGEC will only accept TOEFL iBT score reports from ETS test centers located in NABP member and associate member jurisdictions. This includes the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, nine Canadian provinces, two Australian states, and New Zealand. See the District Composition section of the NABP Web site for a full listing.

Please note: The FPGEC will not accept any score reports from the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test site located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard.

4. What if I am a current FPGEC candidate and have already scheduled or plan to take the TOEFL iBT (or TOEFL and TSE) at an internationally located ETS test center?

To accommodate current candidates who were part of the FPGEC Certification Program prior to April 1, 2010, scores reports from international ETS test site locations will be accepted until June 30, 2010. If a candidate is unable to pass the TOEFL iBT (or the TOEFL and TSE) by June 30, 2010, he or she will need to contact ETS and schedule to take the TOEFL iBT at a test site located in one of the NABP member or associate member jurisdictions. In addition, the FPGEC will accept score reports from the Los Angeles, CA, ETS test site located at 3540 Wilshire Boulevard, from current candidates until June 30, 2010.

i passed tse this jan i am doing toefl pbt on may 8 , i do not now how long ets takes to send a pbt score to nabp , if its after jun 30 do i have to come usa to do ibt, that case i am leaving fpgec cirtification , now no point for me passing tse why yhey are doing like this ,any one give me suggestions plz

"2. What if I am a current FPGEC candidate and have already scheduled or plan to take the paper-based TOEFL and TSE?

To accommodate current candidates who were part of the FPGEC Certification Program prior to April 1, 2010, TOEFL and TSE scores reports will be accepted; however, candidates must pass these two examinations no later than June 30, 2010. If a candidate is unable to pass the TOEFL and TSE by June 30, 2010, he or she must contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and schedule an appointment take the TOEFL iBT."

The last day to take TSE and TOEFL pbt is June 30, 2010. The scores may be sent after that date.

Hi,

Why this people creates more and more tough situation for foreign Pharmacy Graduate?

So, it means if you want to become a pharmacist in USA, you first have to get visa for USA and then apply and prepare for examination.

Oh my God , one more stone on our path way.

But, I think we all have to fight again for speaking score(Really unfair); may be this time we get success. Because we all know if we have to go to USA for examination;speaking score is main target for us.

Help each other in this situation because from now ,we do not have TOEFL PBT and TSE.

Just request NABP to lower score and prove that we have enough language proficiency to work as a pharmacist; otherwise prepare yourself for long path.

Why other occupation have lower score requirement than Pharmacy occupation.

I think ,God will look at us and help us.

Do not think more Just try more.

I feel sorry for everyone who has been affected by these new regulations. As I stated before, English language requirement is set to be a barrier for foreign pharmacists to achieve US pharmacy license. We have reported the problems of TOEFL iBT before by sending letter, emails, making phone calls, and having face to face conversations with the board. NABP ignored to be part of solving those problems by refering to ETS. When we talked to ETS, ETS threw back to NABP by saying that ETS tried to convince NABP that a score of 26 is too high but NABP ignored to change the requirement.

We always have choices. Before it is too late, make the best one out of them.

Best wishes,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Please be advise that you check with NABP whether it received your TOEFL scores or not if you took TOEFL CBT or PBT long time ago. ETS will not keep your record over 2 years so ETS cannot report your score after 2 years that you take your exam. If NABP does not receive your TOEFL score, you may have to take TOEFL paper-based test to fulfill your FPGEC requirement.

If you do not have your TOEFL scores in NABP's database, you must take TOEFL paper-based test before June 30, 2010. As far as I know, the last TOEFL paper-based test that ETS provides to date is May 8, 2010. NABP will not accept your TOEFL PBT if you take it after June 30, 2010.

Here is the link to TOEFL PBT (paper-based test)

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509/?vgnextoid=ef872d3631df4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=d972197a484f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here,and I just wonder if anyone could help me,and answer to my questions.

- First I'd like to know how many scores I have to take each part of TOEFL.(list.wrt.spk.rd)

- I've evaluated my degree in my way, it will work? or I have to do it again with a special pharmacist agency?I mean the State Board of P. own agency?

- Do I have to pass TOEFL fefore taking FPGEE?

- Should I apply for taking TOEFL at State Borad of P. or just then I pass that?

I really don't know anything how this licensing procedure works,so I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out to give some advice.

Thank you....

• 4 months later...

Erin,

I dont know what specifically what happened, but there are a lot of kind of "fake" schools in this area that basically just sell I-20's. I suspect they somehow got caught helping students cheat on the test. But then, would not ETS revoke their standing as a center? But then also, ETS doesn't seem to do much for security. Very interesting case.

Anyone know?

Tino,

BTW: I work about 5 blocks from this location!

• 2 months later...

TOEFL iBT

Test of English as a Foreign Language

As part of the FPGEC Certification Program, you must take and achieve the minimal acceptable score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-Based Test (iBT). You must take the TOEFL iBT at an Educational Testing Service (ETS) test center located within one of the NABP member and associate member jurisdictions including the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, eight Canadian provinces, and New Zealand. The FPGEC will no longer accept TOEFL iBT score reports from international ETS test site locations. Check with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for dates and locations.

I have questions: Which are the eight Canadian province? I don't see Australia on the NABP web site as an approved location for test. Any changes since they announced last year?

TOEFL iBT - National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®)

thanks

• 3 weeks later...