Urch Forums

what is TSE?

pavelbuet

I have completed gre(CBT) and toefl(CBT) recently. Among these two gre has sapped my energy considerably. But, to my dismay I have found that many universities in US requires TSE score for graduate level admission. Its Test of Spoken English......and I know nothing about it. Just for being non-native I have to take 3 horrible tests! What is there to do..guys? I feel helpless...from where I should start?

No, you do not need TSE for grad school. In fact the TSE is no longer offered in most of the world, and I believe will completely end after this September's test (or is it November).

Your CBT TOEFL should be fine, assuming you have the right score.

Anyone who used to require the TSE now accepts the TOEFL iBT instead, but I don' think you need to worry about that anyway as you TOEFL CBT should be adequate.

Tino

No, you do not need TSE for grad school. In fact the TSE is no longer offered in most of the world, and I believe will completely end after this September's test (or is it November).

Your CBT TOEFL should be fine, assuming you have the right score.

Anyone who used to require the TSE now accepts the TOEFL iBT instead, but I don' think you need to worry about that anyway as you TOEFL CBT should be adequate.

Tino

I think TSE will disappear, however not until after March and maybe little longer. Remember May 2006 was the last pbt TOEFL, but there was one on August. So until ETS make it official, it not over. The Jan and March test is official, go to tse.org and click TSE testing extended.

Yes and no,

The extended test dates after July 2006 are only OUTSIDE of the US and Canada. According to ETS they are offering these dates because there are not enough iBT centers set up outside the US and Canada yet.

My point is that US univerisities, license programs, governments etc.... no longer require the TSE because there is no way to take the TSE in the USA. But it is still an OPTION, if you live in a country still offering the TSE.

However, I personally recommend the iBT as it seems from post in this forum that the iBT is a little easier, and the TSE quite frustrating.

Tino

Yes and no,

The extended test dates after July 2006 are only OUTSIDE of the US and Canada. According to ETS they are offering these dates because there are not enough iBT centers set up outside the US and Canada yet.

My point is that US univerisities, license programs, governments etc.... no longer require the TSE because there is no way to take the TSE in the USA. But it is still an OPTION, if you live in a country still offering the TSE.

However, I personally recommend the iBT as it seems from post in this forum that the iBT is a little easier, and the TSE quite frustrating.

Tino

Yes, additional dates are for outside US and I agree, I think ibt TOEFL speaking is easier.