Urch Forums

August TSE result

deepak_sharma

Hello,

I took the TSE a few years back and I would like to stress on some points on the things I did to pass. A month before the test, I tried to do these everyday: 1) I watch English news 2) I speak English everyday at work and at home 3) During my spare time, I try to think of my everyday itinerary in English 4) I answered all of the TOEFL writing topics in paper, then read them aloud using a recorder then listened to my voice afterwards 5) I think of 5-10 questions a day then answer them, anything under the sun, even silly questions like-what do you think of men with beard? 6) Tried to mimic how the Americans talk (here in our country, we read the words per syllable like cho-co-late, but Americans pronounce it as Choclet; or to-wel, to them it is tawl!) 7) I mastered timing my answers in seconds (for a 30-second question, how many sentences can you form so you will not be cut) 8) I made a list of probable adjectives that I might use (For example in the tell the direction question- I did not only say go right then go left then go straight. You have to expand your imagination as if you were there. Say something like across the street you can see a fuschia neon sign, and in front of the building is a garden of roses with a beautifully carved angel on the middle of the fountain).

For the advantage and disadvantage questions, see to it that you answer at least two each, and then state your reasons why. Remember that there are no wrong or correct answers on this type of question; you just need to support which side are you.

For the tell the story that the pictures show: Be sure to mention at least one detail in every picture, and not skip let’s say picture 2 then proceed to picture 3. Then answer the accompanying question. Mine was how would I convince the store owner to give me a refund on the rented bike that I used for less than 5 minutes because the tire was punctured. I answered this as if I was really talking to the person starting with greeting, then relaying the problem, then pausing for a little while (the owner’s time to talk), you should also sound like you have really convinced him to give your money back, then thank the person afterwards.

For the graph question, try to analyze every kind of graph (line, bar, pie). My question was to compare the TV viewing habits of people in the 70’s vs the 90’s. Start your answer with ‘These are pie graphs comparing the TV viewing habits of people in the 70’s and 90’s.’ Then continue analyzing the statistics, like “I have observed that those who watch the news in the 70’s decreased drastically in the 90’s by half, from 40% to 20%. Then compare all those left. Accompanying question was, which do I prefer watching among the 4 choices- news,sports,comedy,action. I chose comedy and stated the reasons why, and ended my answer with ‘it takes only a few muscles to smile, while a lot to frown, and laughter is still the best medicine!’

I did not enroll in a review class, nor bought CD’s or anything else. These tips were told by my friends who passed TSE as well. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the TSE format, then practice a lot.

Hope these would help you. Good luck!