Urch Forums

Proper pausing?

amilim

Hi, all of you.

I am so glad to find this website I can talk about my English problems on.

I have been in the States for several years but my activities are so limited in the lab. Thus, I don't think my spoken English is improved that much. I should admit that I used to think that once I came to the States, I could speak English just like English-native speakers. ^^:o

Anyway, one of my English problems is to perform the proper pausing in the long sentence. I have got the common comments from other people here on my wrong pausing. Nevertheless, I do not know how to do it since I just found myself feel awkard to ask them back to directly teach me the proper one. Instead, I am trying to listen to other natives on TV carefully in terms of the ways they speak but I just want to know if there are general rules for that and there are some books or materials available for that purpose.

For example, there are two sentences as follow:

1) I like an apple that is good for health.

2) I like an apple, that is, an fruit.

I intended "that is" in the latter as the meaing of "in other words" somethig like that.

I realized that in such case like number 2, there is a significant pause for " that is" as well as a significant difference in tone/accent.

How about the number 1? Should I just briefly pause in front of "that"?

I have visited "the american accent" website, which was more helpful for liaision rather than pausing, otherwise I must have been missed out their tips.:(

Because I am a foreign student, sometimes I just tend to self-comfort myself about my uncorrectable English thing and then, periodically I try to improve it by studying or whatever ways and then, again, I just get frustrated and you know..over and over..

Any kind of suggestions on improving the spoken English especially " proper pause" will be more than welcome.[heartbeat][heartbeat][heartbeat]

Thank you for your reading.

:D

Hello Amilim:

You are correct in assuming that pauses are important. However, do not get "hung up" on what could be minor aspects. By speaking slowly you will naturally insert positive pauses. Be very careful with names you are familiar with, etc. Sometimes people tend to speed up their speech when they use very familiar words. Make sure to pronounce each syllable of each word clearly. You must also concentrate on grammar and pronunciation. Again, pauses are important, but there are other aspects of the TSE that are more important.

Pronunciation is extremely important for TSE purposes. Those from, for example, Mexico, who try to study English in the UK, Australia, or Canada will run a huge risk in learning pronunciations that are not necessarily acceptable in the United States. Color is one word that is not only spelled differently (colour) but is pronounced distinctly differently in the USA, Canada, the UK. You are aiming for American English. Do not confuse your native "accent" by trying to emulate Canadian, British, or Australian English "accents".

My husband recommends only one book for reading. That is an American English dictionary. Only the pronunciation guides should be used. Any other visual aids (books) to correcting spoken English just do not work. You will pronounce written words as you already pronounce them. Listening to American English news broadcasts or 1950's and 1960's American movies will do far more to improve your spoken English than any written aid (with the exception of the dictionary).

In your post you ask questions about sentences you have constructed. I forwarded these to my hubby. He gave me these tips for you: Your two sentences are grammatically incorrect for TSE purposes. He suggests that you modify them to:

1. I like eating apples. They are good for my health.

2. I enjoy apples. Apples are a fruit.

Make your sentences short and grammatically correct. It is far better to use two or more short sentences that you can control easily rather than one long complicated, or compound, one.

Be also extremely cautious about "American Accent" training of any kind. They teach "slang" for the most part. Please remember that your sentences must be well constructed, with pronunciations should be very similar to those given in an American English dictionary. The dictionary is the base line for pronunciations.

As always, please send me an email or post comments and questions here for all to learn from. Excellent questions, by the way.

Vicki

;)

First of all, thank you so much, Vicki.

I will bear your tips in mind whenever I practice the TSE exam.

I guess I was asking some help for the proper pausing in more general ways.^^

Thanks again,

Originally posted by vicki ti-in

:D

Hello Amilim:

You are correct in assuming that pauses are important. However, do not get "hung up" on what could be minor aspects. By speaking slowly you will naturally insert positive pauses. Be very careful with names you are familiar with, etc. Sometimes people tend to speed up their speech when they use very familiar words. Make sure to pronounce each syllable of each word clearly. You must also concentrate on grammar and pronunciation.

Pronunciation is extremely important for TSE purposes. Those from, for example, Mexico, who try to study English in the UK, Australia, or Canada will run a huge risk in learning pronunciations that are not necessarily acceptable in the United States. Color is one word that is not only spelled differently (colour) but is pronounced distinctly differently in the USA, Canada, the UK. You are aiming for American English. Do not confuse your native "accent" by trying to emulate Canadian, British, or Australian English "accents".

My husband recommends only one book for reading. That is an American English dictionary. Only the pronunciation guides should be used. Any other visual aids (books) to correcting spoken English just do not work. You will pronounce written words as you already pronounce them. Listening to American English news broadcasts or 1950's and 1960's American movies will do far more to improve your spoken English than any written aid (with the exception of the dictionary).

In your post you ask questions about sentences you have constructed. I forwarded these to my hubby. He have me these tips for you: Your two sentences are grammatically incorrect for TSE purposes. He suggests that you modify them to:

1. I like eating apples. They are good for my health.

2. I enjoy apples. Apples are a fruit.

Make your sentences short and grammatically correct. It is far better to use two or more short sentences that you can control easily rather than one long complicated, or compound, one.

Be also extremely cautious about "American Accent" training of any kind. They teach "slang" for the most part. Please remember that your sentences must be well constructed, with pronunciations should be very similar to those given in an American English dictionary. The dictionary is the base line for pronunciations.

As always, please send me an email or post comments and questions here for all to learn from. Excellent questions, by the way.

Vicki

;)