Urch Forums

"Higher education should be available only to good students" (My last essay)

lime

Hi guys, since I'm attacking the TOEFL tomorrow, hopefully it would be my last TOEFL essay ("GRE, hello!"). Thanks for reading, comments and support to everyone who was reading my miserable essay attempts.

---

Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students. Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why.

---

Nowadays, educational systems, being diverse in different countries, at the same time are very similar in one concept: only the best students should be able to get the higher education. Meanwhile, I strongly believe, that everyone should have a right to apply for college or university he wants. Indeed, higher education gives the essential knowledge which everyone needs, without available high education to everyone science can lose many talents and finally, "bad students" can be not as bad as they seem.

First of all, I strongly believe that school does not provide teenagers with sufficient knowledge to start working right after finishing it. For example, in Russia, in the last year of study in school, pupils solve just simple linear equations. At the same time, in contemporary society, in the world of technologies, everyone needs at least the basic acquaintance with principles of calculus. Only in college is possible to get this knowledge. Therefore, if the person wants to go on with education in order to get more indispensable experience, then we must provide him with this opportunity regardless of his school scores. Without knowledge one gets from high education, many people will not be able to survive in our century.

Secondly, it is well known fact that many talented people were not quite good students. For instance, famous physicist Albert Einstein, the author of theory of relativity, was notorious for his low scores at university. Nevertheless, this fact did not prevent him from making such an outstanding contribution to physics. Otherwise, if Einstein was expelled from college, then, who knows, probably so far humankind still would not make such a progress in understanding of the world. Therefore, restricting the higher education only to progressive students, we can miss many ingenious scientists.

Finally, it is not necessarily that the student who had low scores during the school years will demonstrate the same dull apprehension at the university. One of my classmates, Matt, used to be the worst pupil in the class, shirking the school and flunking almost every test. Fortunately, after finishing school, he was admitted by very good college at University of Wisconsin in Madison. Surprisingly, but this fact so inspired him, that starting with the first year of study, Matt began assiduously working. His meticulous attention and enthusiasm allowed him to solve many obfuscating problems and ultimately receive the honor as the best student of the year. Therefore, ability of studying at college can change some students to positive side.

Summarizing, I am absolutely confident that it is of utmost importance to make higher education available for everyone, not only for specific students with high scores or outstanding recommendations. It will allow to everybody get necessary knowledge he needs to survive in the society, it will allow to reveal many latent talents and, finally, encourage many people to study better.