Urch Forums

#003: Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare.

Erin

• 3 weeks later...

I support the view that there has been a substantial improvement in the way people live because nowadays food has become easier to prepare. This is due to the various kitchen appliances and easy availability of ready to serve or partially-cooked food in the market. All these facilities save a lot of time and effort and leave more oppurtunity to pursue other interests, particularly for women.

In the earlier times, women were essentially associated with household work, of which cooking was a major part. Men and women had their work defined clearly, wherein men were supposed to bring firewood and raw material and women were expected to cook. They were usually unaware of the world outside their home. But now with the application of scienctific methods in cooking, this is history.

A simple thing as a gas stove has saved the effort of fetching firewood and lighting it for cooking. Also a lot of time is saved. Now that women prefer to go out to work, it is very convenient for them to have a modern kitchen with all the latest technology and gadgets.

Besides, the efficiency has increased. It is now possible to cook a large variety of food within half the time spent earlier. And now we need not wait for one whole year to enjoy some favourite seasonal fruits and vegetables. Science and technology has made it possible for these to be available all year round. Hybrids and cold storage-preserved food are common words now.

However, these changes have led to various lifestyle related disorders. We are moving away from nature. The use of synthetic preservatives kills the nutrition of food. This means that the food that we now eat may be easy to cook but may not be nutritious or in some cases even harmful.

Thus, we cannot deny the fact that the way we cook now has definitely improved life, provided we are sure that whatever we eat is nutritious. In keeping pace with changing cooking habits, we should keep in mind that it should improve the way we live, and this definitely requires conscious effort.

• 1 month later...

Hi, guys,

Please evaluate my essay and correct it as much as you can.

Thanks

Phuoc

People living in the twentieth century saw many changes in their lives thanks to technological evolution. These changes occurred not only in offices, factories and universities but also in every household, especially in the way they eat. As a result, food has now become easier to prepare than ever before. On one hand, this change has improved the way people live, but on the other hand, this has devalued the way people feel about their lives.

Nowadays, it takes only half an hour to prepare for dinner and even much less time for breakfast. People who spend most of their time for working may take advantage of this change as a convenience. After an exhausting day of working, they can easily get a simple but nutritious enough meal and not to worry too much about cooking. Also, they may have lunch at a fast food restaurant without considering about their budget instead of asking their wives to prepare sandwiches every morning. Moreover, many food-processing factories have provided their customers with the convenience that they never had before. For example, if a young couple wants to hold a party, they will simply go to the supermarket to purchase all they require and the only thing left to do is to put the processed food into the cooker. The biggest advantage of this change is that the less time it takes for cooking, the more time people may have for entertainment.

However, since a meal is easy to prepare, it makes people feel more separated from one another. For instance, a family which used to have a brunch (breakfast and lunch combined) every Sunday and they spent a lot of time cooking together and as a result everyone felt happy. Yet, with the advance in food processing, the meal becomes less significant than it used to be and people may sometimes feel that they are missing out on something very important in their lives. Therefore, this change could be seen to have devalued some traditions that should not be lost.

In summary, the advance in technology that has brought about changes in the way in which we prepare our meals has had both negative and positive effects. However, in my view, the advantage of this change far outweighs any disadvantage as this change has greatly improved the way people live.

Originally posted by nnphuoc

Hi, guys,

Please evaluate my essay and correct it as much as you can.

Thanks

Phuoc

People living in the twentieth century saw many changes in their lives thanks to technological evolution. These changes occurred not only in offices, factories and universities but also in every household, especially in the way they eat. As a result, food has now become easier to prepare than ever before. On one hand, this change has improved the way people live, but on the other hand, this has devalued the way people feel about their lives.

Nowadays, it takes only half an hour to prepare for dinner and even much less time for breakfast. People who spend most of their time for working may take advantage of this change as a convenience. After an exhausting day of working, they can easily get a simple but nutritious enough meal and not to worry too much about cooking. Also, they may have lunch at a fast food restaurant without considering about their budget instead of asking their wives to prepare sandwiches every morning. Moreover, many food-processing factories have provided their customers with the convenience that they never had before. For example, if a young couple wants to hold a party, they will simply go to the supermarket to purchase all they require and the only thing left to do is to put the processed food into the cooker. The biggest advantage of this change is that the less time it takes for cooking, the more time people may have for entertainment.

However, since a meal is easy to prepare, it makes people feel more separated from one another. For instance, a family which used to have a brunch (breakfast and lunch combined) every Sunday and they spent a lot of time cooking together and as a result everyone felt happy. Yet, with the advance in food processing, the meal becomes less significant than it used to be and people may sometimes feel that they are missing out on something very important in their lives. Therefore, this change could be seen to have devalued some traditions that should not be lost.

In summary, the advance in technology that has brought about changes in the way in which we prepare our meals has had both negative and positive effects. However, in my view, the advantage of this change far outweighs any disadvantage as this change has greatly improved the way people live.

Hi Phuoc,

The first thing I want to mention is that you should format your essay. It is really important and even affect your score! Look at this for more details: http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1365

Your essay is top-heavy (I use Erin's word here :D). I don't think the introduction should be that long. I'm sure if you had written within 30 minutes, you would have ran out of time!

In my opinion, because you said that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages, you should change para 2 and para 3. Para 3 tells about the disadvantages, then you can say "Nevertheless, no one can deny that ........". It will be more persuasive. Also in the introduction, you should express your point of view more clearly. When reading your essay, I could only know how you feel about the problem when I reached the conclusion.

Hope you can find something useful in my reply.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys!

Could you please tell me what my score would be in IELTS if I wrote like this?

Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It is an undeniable fact that upon emerge of technology in today’s world, a great abundant of house chores including culinary art and preparing food have been facilitated. But the question that needs to be answered is that whether or not this change is for better or for worse. What follows is the explanation of advantages and disadvantages of this massive change in human’s life.

Mothers, who usually carry out the responsibility of preparing food, are spending an increasing number of hours at work in order to afford a small amount of the many expenditures of their children’s life. This eventually results in their absence from home and facing lack of time when it comes to food preparation and other house chores. This is the time when microwave ovens, food processors, and other culinary accessories could be great helps to mothers in the hectic modern life. With pressing a small button, nowadays, making even the most challenging type of food has become easier and faster than one could imagine. Mothers without any doubt could not be any happier when they can easily and conveniently carry out the important task of making food at home and enjoy the relief of concerns regarding fast food and its disadvantages to the family including obesity.

On the other hand, there is a dark side of the view. Statistics show that the rate of cancer caused by microwave made food, and the unsafe rays which penetrate in the food is increasing which is obviously even more dangerous than obesity. The jeopardising effects of using microwave go far beyond human’s health. Scientists believe that the dangerous rays which are emitted from microwaves go to the atmosphere and can lead to a kind of pollution, which is invisible and cannot be easily controlled and would consequently endanger all species in the world.

While technology seems to have been playing an imperative role in the family especially for those mothers who prefer to make food at home rather than buy readymade ones, there are still concerns regarding its demerits. It seems that raising mother’s awareness about the possible dangers of modern ways of food preparation, and providing more environmentally friendly choices of kitchen appliances would help families in making sound decisions.