Urch Forums

#010: “When people succeed, it is because of hard

Erin

Hi Erin,

My reply for the topic:)

I agree with the quotation that success comes only through hard work and not through luck. I attribute my decision to the reasons elucidated as follows.

Each of us has our own goals and ambitions in life for which we continually strive. When we reach the determined goal, we call it success. Thus, success is the end product of long-term effort. Consider the case of a student pursuing a high score in the final exams. The student would have to work hard right from the beginning of the year. He/she needs to get acquainted with the subjects, topics and the logic. Only through hard work can he/she excel in the subject and eventually get a high score. Should the student fail to concentrate on studies at first and then try to cram towards the end, the result may or may not be favorable. Burning the midnight oil could never equal planned work.

Similarly, we can take the case of an athlete preparing for an upcoming event. The athlete can never depend on luck to win the event for him/her. He/she has to put in a lot of hard work to attain the stamina and the energy sufficient for the event. If it were true that success comes out of luck, all the athlete needs to do is to go straightaway to the field and voila success would be his/hers. But, that is not what occurs in reality. Only sheer hard work and planned efforts can bring ultimate success.

This is the common criterion for everything in life. Success comes through hard work. Very true is the saying, ‘Hard work never goes unrewarded’. Thus success is sweet and lasting to those who really strive for it. But, only momentary satisfaction is ascribed to those who rig it out.

Hence, we can clearly say that success comes purely out of hard work and luck becomes a mere coincidence. Also, there is no substitute for hard work. So, without this, success becomes a part of fantasy. We can conclude this reasoning with the claim that hard work alone can bring success and nothing else can equal it.

Erin, I've tried to implement the formatting rules that u gave us.Hope it's o.k.:shy:

Wow, synthia!! The formatting is simply beautiful!! Like "music to my ears," except of course that this is more like candy to my eyes. Or something like that.

Let's see what we have here...

Originally posted by synthia

I agree with the quotation that success comes only through hard work and not through luck. I attribute my decision to the reasons elucidated as follows.

Intro is a bit short and uses one unnecessarily complex word, but it is acceptable. You can still get a 6.0. :)

Each of us has our own goals and ambitions in life for which we continually strive. When we reach the determined goal, we call it success. Thus, success is the end product of long-term effort.

Although this writing is acceptable for the TOEFL level of writing, I don't think that your conclusion is a necessary one from the premises you give.

Consider the case of a student pursuing a high score in the final exams. The student would have to work hard right from the beginning of the year. He/she needs to get acquainted with the subjects, topics and the logic. Only through hard work

Why only through hard work? Isn't it entirely possible that this person could be lucky, could steal the questions, could cheat, or could otherwise achieve a good score without hard work? Or even that this person is something of a natural genius and doesn't need to study. :p

can he/she excel in the subject and eventually get a high score. Should the student fail to concentrate on studies at first and then try to cram towards the end, the result may or may not be favorable. Burning the midnight oil could never equal planned work.

Try to avoid cliches in writing. Furthermore, I wouldn't choose to use this idiom in this essay at this point. "burnign the midnight oil" means to work late into the night, and is not necessarily a bad thing.

BTW, I have to say that your grammar, writing style, organization, and ideas are generally very, very good, but right now, I am most enjoying the clear and easy-to-read formatting!

Similarly, we can take the case of an athlete preparing for an upcoming event. The athlete can never depend on luck to win the event for him/her. He/she has to put in a lot of hard work to attain the stamina and the energy sufficient for the event. If it were true that success comes out of luck, all the athlete needs to do is to go straightaway to the field and voila success would be his/hers. But, that is not what occurs in reality. Only sheer hard work and planned efforts can bring ultimate success.

This may be true, but it is essentially the same thing as the previous example--you are using two examples of people who have to work hard to achieve their goals. Your essay would be stronger if you relied less on examples and a bit more on analysis. But still, for TOEFL, this essay is moving along quite well.

This is the common criterion for everything in life. Success comes through hard work. Very true is the saying, ‘Hard work never goes unrewarded’. Thus success is sweet and lasting to those who really strive for it. But, only momentary satisfaction is ascribed to those who rig it out.

What does "rig it out" mean???

Hence, we can clearly say that success comes purely out of hard work and luck becomes a mere coincidence.

This is a bit redundant--"luck is luck" is essentially what you're saying.

Also, there is no substitute for hard work. So, without this, success becomes a part of fantasy. We can conclude this reasoning with the claim that hard work alone can bring success and nothing else can equal it.

Score: 5.5

Okay, synthia, nice work on this essay, but I think that some of the things you've said could be improved, as I've pointed out above.

I'd also like to tell you what I think about this topic. I strongly believe that luck is extremely important in success, in a more philosophical sense, though. Let me try to explain a bit.

Sometimes when I look at those more unfortunate around me, sometimes people close to me, other times random people I encounter in my daily life. You may have heard, for example, that there are many homeless people in the United States. I often think about why those people are less fortunate than I am, and why perhaps I am lucky (as lucky as I may be; I am, like all of you, always trying to be a better person). I can only come to one conclusion--I was lucky to be born with what I have, others were luckier or less lucky than I to be born with what great things or plight they experience in their lives.

I was lucky to have been born in a country where I could make a living if I worked hard, I was lucky to have been born at a time when equality and democracy are valued, I was lucky to have been born fairly healthy. Without these great gifts, I would never be succcessful, no matter how hard I worked.

Similarly, and more realistically, I think that in many job situations, luck is extremely important. Think of the jobs you've gotten, or the good jobs your friends have. Isn't it true that many of theme were achieved through some good contact or even a stroke of luck? What we call "being in the right place at the right time???"

Anyway, your ideas are good and are of course defensible, but I just wanted to let you and others reading this post another viewpoint.

Nice work!!

Hi Erin,

Thanks so much for your valuable views!:):o

Well, now u've got me thinking on opting for the contradictory i.e. luck. But, personally, I have never ever beleived in any such thing as luck .I call it God's gift! Seems like I'm more of a theist:Danyway, I guess there are more examples or strong points to support your view than the one I chose!:D

And Erin, time and again you keep telling me to concentrate more on analysis than examples . Actually,I don't know how to analyse a point. This is why I resort to examples!! Is there a way out?[b)]:shy:

Everyday we come across people who work very hard. Some of them are successful, and some are not. Therefore, I believe that success ultimately depends on luck. This does not mean that one can succeed on luck alone. In my opinion, success is 99% work and 1% luck. But that 1% is responsible for all the slips between cup and lips, so to define the famous adage.

As an example to explain this, we can consider the various beauty paegants. All the entrants in these competitions are the best as they have already passed all the stringent testing conditions within their countries. They are also trained together for the final event. But there can be just winner. And this winner is decided depending on one answer to the final question. And the luckiest one gets the crown, although it may seem that it's because of the answer to the final question.

Originally posted by ErinBilly

“When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.” Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

Hi Ranu, welcome to TM :)!

Hey are you sure you're writing a TOEFL essay, Ranu? If you are, then it may have a very low score for the organization is so poor (I know truth hurts, but that's true :(). In the case you're new to TOEFL, I think you should read some sample essays to get the general ideas of organizing one. It should have a clear introduction, some supporting paragraphs and a conclusion. Please post your doubts and questions so that other helpful members can help you :).

Best wish to you :),

-phuong-

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Infact this is my first attempt that has been evaluated on a toefl essay, although i have een practicing for sometime now. I have my toefl on 10oct. So, guess i need to buck up now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Ranu :)

Oh so you should post more and more essays here and others will surely help you! And you should read all 185 topics before writing. You can check out some posts under the Essays Discussion thread to get the general ideas of deviding them into groups. Then choose some typical topics of each group to write. At first you mustn't limit the time, but after some times please wrute just within 30'. That will help you not panic about time on the real test. You know, worrying about time during the test affect your score so much!

That's my experience. I don't think that's the best way, but you can have it as preference.

Good luck on the actual test, 300 to ya :),

-phuong-

Hi Enrin and my dear TM friends,:)

I really like this topic ;)so I would like to post my first essay on this one. You are really welcomed to give any comments and suggestions.

My essay:

I strongly disagree with the statement “When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success”. Everybody understands that either to be success or just to finish what daily life requires we have to work as hard as we can. However we also know that we can not be as successful as we may expect just through hard work. David Beckam would not be the famous and successful football player if he were not chosen to play in an aptitude team when he was a child or if he did not practice it hardly. AlGore – Vice president of The United State from 1992 to 2000 would be the 43rd president of the America if he were lucky enough in the run to the White House two years ago. In this essay I want to attribute reasons why I think that to be success you need both working hard and luck.

Firstly, in my point of view, one can not be success if he does not work hard. Hard working is the key factor for people to be success in life. If we want to graduate from a university we have to do a lot of work such as finishing homework and assignment, practicing, doing research and many more all year long. Likewise, if we want to be success in our career we have to work hard and keep working hard all life long. That really costs our effort and striving. Nevertheless, it the essential tasks for people who wish to be successful in life.

Secondly, luck sometimes does crucial tasks to your success. In some cases, to be as success as you are trying and expecting does not totally depend on you. For example, one student who believed the most intelligent and the hardest working student in a school, unexpectedly gets terrible sick on the day of the national final examination. His health does not allow him to attend the exam. And in my country if he has the doctor’s certificate certifying that he cannot join in the exam due to his terrible sick, he can be automatically given mark 5 – the average grade. And this result is really a nightmare for him. He may wait to the next year exam for attaining the higher score or may take the given grade which much lower than the one that he try to reach. Meanwhile, if he were lucky he could attend the exam as his friends do and get the score as high as he tried to get.

For conclusion, in my point of view, although essential aspect for success is hard work, luck contributes vital things to our success. That is also the reason why we often wish each other “Best luck”.

Have a nice day you all!:o:D

Stariver

Hi Bao Ha :) and welcome to TM!!!

Well, your ideas and examples are marvelous, but the biggest and clearest thing I don't like in your essay is the introduction. It should contain only general and main ideas of the whole essay, not specific examples and analyses. You should read the sample essays at Testmagic Home to get the overall ideas of formatting an essay. But your analyses and examples are pretty good! I like them very much. And I could see few grammar mistakes in your essay, but there're still some, though, among which is the usage of 'success' and 'successful'. Many times I read 'to be success' in the essay :).

Good 'luck' on the real test ;)!

-phuong-

Hi Phuong,:D

Thank you for your advice. It's the first time I post my essay here so I hope it was not too bad at first. [^][xx(]

Yes I agree it's too much "to be success" I will try to find another expression. Do you have any suggestion??

For the instro, I try to make it longer and alittle bit empressive.... but may be the most important thing is to make it short and clear, right? ?

Ohh, by the way, I like this forum very much, I have searched around and found that you often have great idea to ohters.:o;)

Thanks [^]

Bao Ha

Hi :D!

Yes I agree it's too much "to be success" I will try to find another expression. Do you have any suggestion?

No Ha, I mean 'success' should be changed into 'successful', cuz we have 'to be + adj' :)

For the intro, I try to make it longer and a little bit empressive.... but may be the most important thing is to make it short and clear, right?

Yes, that's a very crucial point! You know, Vietnamese literature is much much much diffirent from English literature. When we take VNese lit exams at school, it seems that the more pages you write, the higher you get :(!!! Bringing that 'style' into TOEFL, VNese students tend to 'perform' themselves by forking out too much time lenghthening the intro and beautifying it until they suddenly glance at the time table. They panic, get hurried, even crazy, and, what will be will be, run out of time or finish with very short and ill-considered following paragraphs. Being one myself and in that shoe many times mysefl, I understand it so much. The first time writing a toefl essay, I was like you, and got a 2.5 :p. Next time I just reduced the intro downto 3 sentences and, believe or not, recieved a whole 4.5! In bitterness I've learned that 8.6 in VNese lit absolutely does not mean a half of average in toefl essay! So you Vietnamese guys please don't do on the toefl like you do at school!!!!!!

But dear Ha, don't worry much cuz it seems that's almost your only weak point! We'll wait for your next essay and see you'll get over 5.0!

Ohh, by the way, I like this forum very much, I have searched around and found that you often have great idea to ohters.

Oh thanks so much, but I think that will suit Renata (Vaya) much more than me! She's really helpful and always get great ideas :)!

Keep on moving (as fast as you've showed us :D!!!)

300 is waiting at Tran Hung Dao...

-phuong-

Hi Phuong!:D

Thanks U again for your great guide!!

I totally agree with you about Vnese Lit. And I myselfe is trying hard to be familiar with English Lit in TOEFL not Vnese. So surely this costs my time and energy for practice right!!!

Ohhhh yeahhh, 300 is waiting at Tran Hung Dao. (But I have to take the supplemental paper base test and writing this time is a must) so may be 680 all of them!!!!!

Thanks [^]and talk to you much later on next posts!! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hullo everyone!

Please estimate my score and let me know my mistakes!

010 “When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.” Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

Though hard work is the key to success yet luck has its own role to play. “When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.” I partially disagree with this quotation. Luck plays a very important role in determining one’s success or failure.

In the hope of succeeding, I might put in my best and still not succeed. It could also be possible that I don’ put in much of efforts and yet perform amazingly well. Luck or destiny is basically responsible for my success.

If I have an exam and I fall ill just before the exam, my illness could contribute to my poor performance at the exam. This is my ill luck! Though I work hard towards my goal, yet I couldn’t accomplish it due to my illness – this is my bad luck!

It’s rightly said –“99%perspiration 1% inspiration!” in other words, hard work does pay. On the other hand, it could be that I work hard and don’t succeed. If I’m taking an exam and the examinee next to me is cheating, it may be that in order to save his skin, he puts the blame on me .As a result, I’m penalized for cheating when I’m sure I didn’t even a cheat a single question! This is my ill-fate and great luck for the person who was indeed cheating on the exam.

Love

Avni...

Luck also provides encouragement. If I haven’t prepare well and yet the questions on an exam are easy enough for me to do well, its my luck! This could motivate me to write better and improve my retentivity.I might even retain those answers which I just glanced at …the day before.

Before any such task that determines success, whether it be an interview, an exam or even a football match – friends and family always wish “Good luck”! Had luck never played a part in one’s success, no one would’ve ever bothered to wish luck!

Most of us believe in The Supreme power called GOD whom we’ve never seen but just sensed. Similarly, Lady luck is another power – majority of the people place their trust on! Had it just been hard work responsible for my success, I would’ve never placed any task in the hands of my destiny!

Truly, luck has a very significant role to play. It is greatly responsible for one’s success or downfall!

(No. Of words-398)

Hello!

Though hard work is the key to success yet luck has its own role to play. “When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.” I partially disagree with this quotation. Luck plays a very important role in determining one’s success or failure.

Don't you think that those red words sound a bit illogical?

In the hope of succeeding, I might put in my best and still not succeed. It could also be possible that I don’ put in much of efforts and yet perform amazingly well. Luck or destiny is basically responsible for my success.

If I have an exam and I fall ill just before the exam, my illness could contribute to my poor performance at the exam. This is my ill luck! Though I work hard towards my goal, yet I couldn’t accomplish it due to my illness – this is my bad luck!

Why do you put a gap here? It's one para and these two parts should be connected.

It’s rightly said –“99%perspiration 1% inspiration!” in other words, hard work does pay. On the other hand, it could be that I work hard and don’t succeed. If I’m taking an exam and the examinee next to me is cheating, it may be that in order to save his skin, he puts the blame on me .As a result, I’m penalized for cheating when I’m sure I didn’t even a cheat a single question! This is my ill-fate and great luck for the person who was indeed cheating on the exam.

Somehow very similar to the previous para. Almost nothing new.

The red part again is a bit illogical. These snetences are self-contradicting.

Love

Avni...

I hope this is only a silly mistyping...

Luck also provides encouragement. If I haven’t prepare well and yet the questions on an exam are easy enough for me to do well, its my luck! This could motivate me to write better and improve my retentivity.I might even retain those answers which I just glanced at …the day before.

You don't explain you 1st sentence of this para. Why? What encouragement?

Before any such task that determines success, whether it be an interview, an exam or even a football match – friends and family always wish “Good luck”! Had luck never played a part in one’s success, no one would’ve ever bothered to wish luck!

I like this one. ;)

Most of us believe in The Supreme power called GOD whom we’ve never seen but just sensed. Similarly, Lady luck is another power – majority of the people place their trust on! Had it just been hard work responsible for my success, I would’ve never placed any task in the hands of my destiny!

Truly, luck has a very significant role to play. It is greatly responsible for one’s success or downfall!

As I understand, the para begining with 'most of us' is the conclusion. Right? So why are here these two sentences? What are they? Conclusion #2? They should be connected with the conclusion or deleted. That's you choise.

Anvi, you have wonderful writing skills, wonderful ideas, vivid language and examples, etc. but just use all this stuff in a toefl format: intro, 2-3 body paras (each about different idea) and conclusion. Also try to avoid mistypings. Copy and paste your essay into microsoft word window and see your mistakes. And think more about your essay before starting to write, because now it looks like you write something with inspiration and then suddenly an idea comes into your head and you start to write something new. Plan your essay and ideas before writing an essay.

Yes, I know that it's hard to become dull and boring and do the oposite to what your heart says... But if you want to ace toefl you will have to make some compromises.

I don't want to dishearten you. Please, don't feel bad. I just want to help you.

Renata

1.partially..seems incorrect to me too as i've to agree or disagree and not be in between...Right?

2.very important....is it a redundancy?May be thats why it is incorrect.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you put a gap here? It's one para and these two parts should be connected.

3.I agree with you .They should've been one para.

I hope this is only a silly mistyping...

4.So sorry..it is indeed a mistyping!Sorry for that!

quote:

You don't explain you 1st sentence of this para. Why? What encouragement?

quote:

5.I'm sorry I couldn't understand what you mean by this?

I mean to say that even if I haven't prepared well for the exam and the questions asked are easy ...it is my luck!This luck helps me to perform better.

quote:

As I understand, the para begining with 'most of us' is the conclusion. Right? So why are here these two sentences? What are they? Conclusion #2? They should be connected with the conclusion or deleted. That's you choise.

6.No , the conclusion is only the last 2 sentences.

Do you think the conclusion is too short?

If I connect the 2 paras ,will it be right?I ask you this because Barron's says the conclusion should not introduce a new idea.

because now it looks like you write something with inspiration and then suddenly an idea comes into your head and you start to write something new. Plan your essay and ideas before writing an essay.

7.You are very right!It does happen to me everytime I start writing.

Yes, I know that it's hard to become dull and boring and do the oposite to what your heart says... But if you want to ace toefl you will have to make some compromises.

I don't want to dishearten you. Please, don't feel bad. I just want to help you.

I'm ready to make compromises as i want to improve.

Whywould you dishearten me?

No.I'm not feeling bad.i understand that you are helping me and I really appreciate it!

Thank you so much Vaya!

1.partially..seems incorrect to me too as i've to agree or disagree and not be in between...Right?

2.very important....is it a redundancy?May be thats why it is incorrect.

No, I meant not that. I wanted to say that they are a bit self-contradicting. Grammaticaly everything is fine, but logically... it doesn't make sense... but just a bit...

4.So sorry..it is indeed a mistyping!Sorry for that!

Oh, that's nothing...

5.I'm sorry I couldn't understand what you mean by this?

I mean to say that even if I haven't prepared well for the exam and the questions asked are easy ...it is my luck!This luck helps me to perform better.

And you want to say it's encouragment? Does luck bring encouragement? I would doubt about that. So I need your explanation why it is encouragement and not something else.

6.No , the conclusion is only the last 2 sentences.

Do you think the conclusion is too short?

If I connect the 2 paras ,will it be right?I ask you this because Barron's says the conclusion should not introduce a new idea.

I believe it would be ok, not perfect... but enough. If those two sentences ar the conclusion, then yes the conclusion ir really too short.

HTH! Renata

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

This is my attempt on this topic. Please evaluate.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a common trait of an individual to blame his/her luck if the expected results are different from what is expected. Success is the fruit of perseverance and luck has nothing to do with success. One cannot invest money based on luck, neither can one go and write an exam depending solely on his luck to clear it.

Let us take an example of the share market. Only by speculation can someone predict the share market behaviour. One has to see the pattern of the shares in the company, daily have a look at the maximum and minimum value, look at its stability and then come to a conclusion of buying the shares to make money. Only then will he have higher chances of success. Speculation in the share market is a difficult process and if the person puts his/her money based solely on luck chances are he will lose his hard earned money due to bad investment.

When a person writes an exam, he/she has to study the subject and understand it, only then will he/she be able to write the exam confidently. Studying and understanding an exam requires a little hard work. Some grasp faster while some grasp slowly, but both categories of people have to work hard to get good grades. Luck does not play a role there.

It is said that diligence is the mother of good luck. This in fact is true because hard work definitely pays good rewards. If a person is hardworking, luck will coincidently be on his side.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Here is my reply for the topic

Some people say that when someone succeeds, it is because of the hard working. Luck has nothing to do with the success. I don’t agree with the view. Base on my definition of success, luck is a factor of success.

First of all, I want to clear what kind of success I am talking about. The success I am talking about is the achievement that only few people in the world can get, such as a sports superstar, a political leader, or a world famous scientist.

Nobody can deny the importance of hard working. Einstein said that success comes from ninety-nine percent of hard working and one percent of luck. Hard working to success is the same as foundation to skyscraper. A successful person must have worked hard in the field he is famous for.

However, hard working is not enough for a people to be successful. Quite a few people in this world can work hard, but not even one out of a hundred of those hard working people can be famous. Why? Those hard working but not successful people don’t have luck. It is like they already have collected the firewood, but still need a spark to get the fire. There are a lot of examples like this in the history. Van Gogh was a hard working artist, but he was never lucky enough to meet a guy who could recognize the sole of his great paintings in his lifetime. He is considered as one of the most successful artists today, but was he a successful artist in his own era? Michael Faraday is one of the most famous scientists in the history. He worked years to try to find the structure of benzene. If we view this from the point that hard working will yield success, Faraday should be the first one in his time to discover the structure of benzene. However, he is not lucky enough and failed. Ten years later, another scientist whose name is Kakule discovered the structure of benzene. Kekule was not a famous scientist at all. Although hard to believe, he discovered the structure of benzene in his dream. Faraday worked years but failed, and Kekule got it in a dream, this is the importance of luck.

In short, hard working is important, but luck is so too Einstein was right. There is only one percent of luck in a person’s success. However, individuals who have that one percent luck are the successful ones.

P.S.

You guys have a great website. You must be pretty happy when you saw people all around the world who want to get a high score on the tests come to your site.

I am 17 years old. I have to take toefl, sat1, sat2 math2, physics and chemistry and ACT in the future 3 months:crazy:. I have 20 days to prepare toefl, and I spent 1o days on your website to do the grammer quizes and read simple essays. They really help a lot, Thanks.

By the way, why you don't have any thing about ACT on this site?

Wish you and all the people who have been on this site a happy new year.

• 2 months later...

hi there!

this is my first trial to write an essay :-/

hope to receive loads of criticism to improve my ability to write.

thx in advance ;-)

------------------

From my point of view it is difficult to discuss if the source of success is solely based on hard work or not. This matter is fixed with the personal attitude towards being successful at first and secondly by defining success in general.

For instance, some people consider being successful as doing a good job or work in an executive position. Therefore on the one hand success may derive from serious and straight work, on the other hand it can also be based on lucky chance. Redundancies of executive personnel may unexpectedly lead to promotion of younger inexperienced staff, who are thus to be considered very lucky. In this case the higher executive position – equated with success – is achieved by the lucky conditions.

But in my opinion being successful does inevitably not go in line with vocational achievements. For me, success is additionally described by the comfortable feeling in personal life. Profound relations to friends and family and inner contentment contributes my individual feeling of being successful. This view possibly differs from general opinions, because just bringing home the bacon at my job without the joy in private life does not suffice for making me feel successful.

In a nutshell, I can state that I am neither able to disagree nor to agree to the quotation above. From my point of view being successful may as well derive from hard work and can also be caused by lucky circumstances. But lucky circumstances do not guarantee success, still you have to make head or tail of this situation!

• 2 months later...

Hello friends,

here is my essay. Please evaluate.

What is luck? My definition is that luck is a combination of circumstances that are beyond an individuals control. Now, we agree that there are such situations and that those situations also play a major role in our success. Hence, I do not agree that luck has nothing to do with success.

First of all, there may be some important environmental things that have to fall in place before a person acheives success. It may be time period, it may be society or it may be a scientific discovery. For example, when I did my degree I worked hard to get admission and then in college worked hard for grades. I am sure that the students passing out with computer science degree now have done as much hard work as I had done. However, since economy and especially computer industry is in downturn, these students are finding it tough to get good jobs. They did hard work but the time is not right.

Most importantly, luck plays a part in making an opportunity arise or not arise. Hard work prepares one to be ready for it when it does. Whether the opportunity comes or not is luck. For example, I was working very hard in 1999 in my first company to learn new java technology. I was preparing for a better opportunity. When it came as a successful interview to a company in USA, I landed in a better job.

I therefore believe that luck has, at many times, something to do with a persons success. Success has many ingredients to it such as hardwork, luck and personality. Hardwork is an important ingredient but it is just another ingredient for success. I think luck also plays a part in a persons success.

“When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.” Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

The passage above say that the opinion about the hard work and the success,I think the hard work and the luck both is important to the success,everyone should take care for both factors together,then they will success in the end.

Firstly,hard work is the foundation for every success.There are one proverb say that the success will always contribute to the people who have the good preparation.through the good preparation,they will train their basic ability for their future success,and the enough knowledge and the good experience for the success. If they have not these basic ability,they can do nothing when the chance come.

Secondly,luck or the good chance is important too.If there exist no chance,no luck,people will work again and again,what they can do is just their daily work,their daily working affairs,they have not the hope,they will not have the chance to be improved,success is their dream in the future.If they meet the chance in some incident,and they have the good preparation for this chance sothat they are eligible to make use of this chance,then the chance will provide them the path to the success.So the chance is important,sometimes the chance is decisive.

So that according to the discussion above,the hard work and the chance both are important to the success.Only if you do the hard work,and have the good preparation,then when the chance come you can grasp it,and the chance will lead you to the final success.At the same time,we also should pay attention to the good chance.When the chance come,do not hesitate,just do it.When we have the good preparation and the decisive action when the chance come then the success is everyone's possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

please rate this essay.. anyone..:)

I think that everybody has at some point in his life the chance to succeed. The only thing we must do is to grab the opportunity that comes our way, put a lot of energy and work in it, and success will come to us. I consider that people in order to succeed, need to work very hard even if they have a native talent.

Firstly, many gifted people waste their chance of succeeding just because they do not work harder to excel. I have seen many talented children with promising musical aptitudes but unfortunately without playing very hard, every day, to the instrument of their choice, they did nothing else, except achieve some mediocre musical career.

To obtain success sometimes means to dedicate yourself completely to your professional career. When I say this, I think about a young girl's life that wants to become a worldwide-recognized gymnast. This means that from the first years of her life she will have to dedicate herself entirely to her gym classes and work her body very hard until she will become good enough to participate to the Olympics and win.

To conclude, I think that anybody that really wants to succeed needs to dedicate himself completely to his career, do his best to achieve what he planned, and dream about in the first place. It may be hard to succeed but the satisfaction of making your dream happening is huge.