Urch Forums

Your like or dislike about studying abroad. Please give some feedback

hosnatul

You are planning to study abroad. What do you think you will like and dislike about this experience? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

After high school graduation, most students from developing countries plan to move abroad for higher education. Studying abroad is fascinating ; however, some factors may cause aversion. In my writing, I am going to elaborate my own thoughts regarding this matter.

To me, money may cause the most apprehension when considering studying abroad. If I am not eligible for scholarship, I need to spend a lot of money for housing, tuition, food, clothing, and transportation. To earn that amount of money I need to work along with my studies. As a result, my grade may suffer.

My second concern about studying abroad is to making the adjustment to a completely new place. Learning a new language is the hardest of all. For example, while I first came to Canada as an international student, the first thing I needed to work on was my English. As English is my second language, and my English use was limited to writing and reading, I had difficulty understanding and communicating with others for first couple of months. Overcoming that situation was really very tough. In addition, leaving my own family and friends behind and coping with people I have never met before was another hurdle. The feeling of not been able to see my parents and siblings for a long time interfered with my studying. Difficulty in finding familiar food was another barrier. For instance, I always had problem finding the food I want. I am allergic to some foods and have some religious restriction to others. Thus, I needed to cook for myself which took a lot of time away from my studying.

At the same time, studying abroad has some unique benefits that are impossible to gain in hometown educational institutions. The quality of education and guidance of knowledgeable teachers is one of the most compelling benefits in a college or university of a developed country. The qualification are well accepted in almost every country, so chances of having better career are higher. Furthermore, less pollution, more resources, and the availability of modern technology are some undeniable factors that drove me to pursue my education overseas.

In conclusion, studying abroad has some initial pros and cons. However, in the long run I will definitely be benefited by it.

Edited by hosnatul