Some people think that the family is the most important influence on young adults. Other people think that friends are the most important influence on young adults. Which view do you agree with? Use examples to support your position.

Some people find that the family is the most important influence on young adults, while others think of friends as those who influence young adults the most. From my experience, I learn that it is my friends who influenced me the most when I grew up into adulthood.

As I grew up, I began to discover my self-identity. This discovery led me to associate with people who had the same backgrounds, the same aspirations, the same interests, etc. as mine. I found that associating with them helped me develop my self-identity and my potential. For example, when I was still a student and needed people who could help me do homework or decide what classes I had to take, I could turn to my fellow students. When I got a job and didnít know how to handle a specific kind of task, I could ask my fellow workers to help me. In most cases, people I usually turn to for assistance or advice are usually my friends. I still rely on my family, but only to help me with my specific personal problems.

Another friend of mine has told me her experience which is similar to mine. That friend is ambitious about her career as an English teacher. She needs good models of English teachers whom she can look up to and whom she can consult about the profession. Unfortunately, she cannot find those kinds of people in her own family since she is the only one in her family who pursues a career in teaching. Consequently, she has to look for them in teacher community in which she finds her seniors and her fellow teachers. With them, she can talk much about her profession, exchange information, and share experiences. As she develops her career, their influence becomes more and more evident.

Later on, I find that some other friends of mine have similar experiences. Though family is still of great importance to us, when it comes to our careers or professions, to which we devote a considerable part of our productive lives, our friends and colleagues play more significant roles.