Urch Forums

Some people learn by doing things; other people learn by reading about things; others

pinkesh zaveri

PLEASE RATE THIS TOEFL ESSAY OUT OF 6 .

URGENT : MY TOEFL ON 16 SEPT . I WOULD BE REALLY GRATEFUL.

TOPIC :

People learn in different ways. Some people learn by doing things; other people learn by reading about things; others learn by listening to people talk about things. Which of these methods of learning is best for you? Use specific examples to support your choice.

MY RESPONSE :

To a novice learning to swim , the coach tells him not to be afraid of drowning in water and take a plunge without any fear to learn swimming quickly. Only standing besides the swimming pool and practising all the strokes won't give any results . This basically I feel is the key to learning new things in life. People learn by various ways as suggested in the question . But I feel that the most appropriate way of learning new things is by doing them .

They say "Experience is the best teacher". One cannot successfully accomplish a task by mere supercial interest or knowledge but only through its actual implementation. Students are taught various subjects at universities in fields of technology , medicine , social sciences etc. A software professional knows that his knowledge acquired through books or others' experiences is not alone enough for his handling of a new software project for a company . He has to actually undergo the intensive thought process by himself and talk to people about their expectations from software . After actual designing the software only he will the realise the faults in the software and whether it meets the goal expectations . He will again have to modify the software and this process goes on until a perfect product is ready . This is precisely what I feel is learning by doing things rather than only relying on academic knowledge acquired during previous stages in life.

For doctors mere knowledge of which medicines are applicable for which diseases is inadequate . It is only when they start their practice that face many severe diseases or a combination of them which they did not encounter in their medicine study . Only once you start doing things only you realise the actual inherent problems associated with a situation and fight your way out of the situation . This is best form of learning . Consider a surgeon who has learnt his surgical skills only throough books or by listening to the experiences of other surgeons. This surgeon will not be able to operate on his patients because he doesn't have the practical skills required or the knowledge of the actual problems faced when you operate on a patient . This is only achieved by actually performing the operation himself under efficient supervision .

To conclude , I believe the world of today is constantly changing , throwing new problems towards and challenging our skills and knowledge. Only those who have achieved their proficiency or knowledge by practically doing things will be able to face this challenge . People having mere bookish or superficial knowledge will falter.