Urch Forums

#014: Some people believe that university students

Erin

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

• 1 month later...

This an essay from a book, i don't know its name, but the essay can give you an idea what to write about this topic :

----------------------------------

Some people may believe that going to classes should be optional, but i disagree. I don't understand how university students expect to learn anything if they don't attend classes. Personal experience can help people learn about themselves and the world outside the classroom, but when it comes to learning about academic subjects, students need to be in class.

In class they receive the benefit of the teacher's knowledge. The best teacher do more than just go over the material in the class textbook. They draw their students into discussion of the material. They present opposing points of view. They schedule guest speakers to come, give the students additional information, or show documentary films on the subject.

Also, attending classes on any subject teaches more then just facts. It teaches students how to learn, how to absorb information and then how to apply what they've learned to other situations. Their teacher is the best one to help them with these skills. They can't learn them just by reading the textbook.

Going to class also teaches students how to work with the other members of the class. Many times students will be given group assignments. This is diffrent from what they did in secondary school. Here they are with people from diffrent backgrounds and experiences. In this situation, they learn how to handle working with people diffrent from themselves to achieve a common goal.

Going to classes also teaches students to responsibility and discipline. Having to be at a particular place at a particular time prepares them for getting job. Being at that place on time with an assignment completed prepares them for career.

In short, by going to class students learn more than just information from the teacher. They also learn how to learn, how to work with others, and how to work responsibly. These are not optional skills in life, so attending classes should not be optional in college.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

These are my thoughts on the issue, I wrote it within 35 minutes and i

think i have been repetitive, as i couldn't think of many examples to

support my stand. any pointers on other faults with essay will be of

immense help.

shilpa

Compulsory attendence enforces discipline and certain amount of

commitment in students,Inspite of compulsory attendance having its

merits it should not be imposed on college students as college education

is persued by adults capable of determining their own future and they

should not be coerced into attending the classes .

Unlike schools which require tough rules about attendence to make sure

that recalcitrant students are not cutting classes therby falling behind in

their grades, college teaches adults who are supposed to matured

enough to realise that cutting classes will affect not only their grades

but their entire future. College educates students trying to master

specialized skills which requires not only keen interest in the subject

but also certain level of commitment which cannot be forced upon. A

student who attends classes only for the sake of attendence is not in

any advantage over student who has missed the class.

Many college students work part time, so there might be times when

they would not be able to make to class on time. They should be

penalized for it as long as they make up for the lost lecture

and they don't make habit out it. Students should realize that part time

work is just a means to reach the end,which is the education.

While educators argue that some students once they join the university

lose focus and start partying too much, it must be acknowledged that

these students even if forced to stay in the classroom would not learn

much as being physically present is not the same as being involved in

the ongoing topic of discussion. Such students will learn from their

foibles when they perform badly in examination and mend their ways.

University education is not only aimed at teaching students about

certain field but it also prepares students to face life, and one of the

first things it teaches is that every person is responsible for him/herself.

In conclusion, I believe that forcing students to attend classes is futile

endeavor as learning is only possible if the student is dedicated,

commited and interested in the class. Since the college students should

be matured enough to realise the impact missing classes will have on

their education, they should be let to make their own mistakes and learn

from them.

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

Hi, all!

This i my essay. I managed to write in 30'

We are now living in a world of internet, people are coming up with a inevitable question : should universities students be required to attend classes or going to classes should be optional for them. Each has its own reasons. However, in my opinion, students are required to attend classes.

Firstly, students can not get good study results if they do not attend classes. They are now lured by many things outside schools. I am sure that many students will go to bars, go dancing and so on, instead of concentrating on studying or doing assignments if they are not required to attend classes. In my country, Vietnam, we hear about students playing truant from schools, failing exams, breaking laws every day. Things will be much worse if going to classes is optional for them.

Secondly, the goverment invest a lot of money on building universities, libraries, buying books, providing study facilities for students to get more knowledge. If few students come to classes, it is quite a big waste of money. In addition, because students get bad result due to skipping the classes, many of them have to study and as a result, they parents have to pay more fee that they ought not to.

Furthermore, by going to classes, students can communicate, make friends with others, get to know different cultures through their friends. Those will help to enrich their living experience and make them more sociable.

All in all, students should be required to go to classes. It not only helps them to enhance their knowledge but builds their character also. Both are important things for their life in the future.

Thanks so much for your comments.:)

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

This i my essay. I managed to write in 30'

We are now living in a world of the Internet, people are coming up with an inevitable question : should universities students be required to attend classes or going to classes should be optional for them. (you should not use a question form here, change it into "whether universities students are...")Each has its own reasons. However, in my opinion, students areshould be required to attend classes.

Firstly, students can not get good study results if they do not attend classes. They are now lured by many things outside schools. I am sure that many students will go to bars, go dancing and so on, instead of concentrating on studying or doing assignments if they are not required to attend classes. In my country, Vietnam, we hear about students playing truant from schools, failing exams, breaking laws every day. Things will be much worse if going to classes is optional for them.

Secondly, the goverment invest a lot of money on building universities, libraries, buying books, providing study facilities for students to get more knowledge. If few students come to classes, it is quite a big waste of money. In addition, because students get bad result due to skipping the classes, many of them have to study and as a result, theytheir parents have to pay more fee that they ought not to.

Furthermore, by going to classes, students can communicate, make friends with others, get to know different cultures through their friends. Those will help to enrich their living experience and make them more sociable.

All in all, students should be required to go to classes. It not only helps them to enhance their knowledge but builds their character also. Both are important things for their life in the future.

Thanks so much for your comments.:)

Hi Tho,

Your essay is good! Frankly I believe that if you can do such a thing in the testing room, you will get a high mark, at least 5.5 ;). You have good ideas and structures. Your essay is coherent. That's all Toefl needs. Continue the good work :).

HTH.

I'm reposting this essay here as courtesy:

I agree that university students should be required to attend classed. If students don¡¦t think they should attend class, why do they go to school? In fact, class provides a lot of benefits to students in their university years.

First of all, class provides an opportunity for students to learn academic knowledge in a more effective and efficient way. Many teachers in the University are with prominent academic achievements. They can lead students in the field they specialized in. At least, they can give students as much information as they can during the class, help students to understand text book more easily, as they are the ones who knows the subjects, or even are the authors of text books. Most importantly, students can learn how to learn from their teacher.

Secondly, students can make friends with their classmates through interaction in the classes. No matter how shy and inactive a student is, classroom provides a place and opportunity for him or her to have games or chats with other classmates. Usually, university classes emphasize group works. Students are thus unified after classes. Moreover, through group works, students learn how to get along with different people. Classmates¡¦ friendship is therefore reinforced, and students prepare themselves for the job market that emphasizes interpersonal communication nowadays.

Thirdly, it keeps students alert on their studies, especially for the ones lack of self-discipline. For example, no matter how lazy a student is, in the class-scheduled time, he has to go to classes rather than lying on the beds or going out for pleasure. In the job market, self-discipline is very important. Employees are required to be in a particular place at a particular time. Attending classes prepares students better for their future job.

In conclusion, attending classes can give opportunities for students to accept education from good teachers, make friends in their campus life, and train their self-discipline. For these many benefits, university students should go to class.

• 2 months later...

In collages, students have more right to choose whether they need to attend classes or not. Some students think that classes are not necessary for them since they can read any materials by themselves. Others claim that attending classes is still vital because it can not only increase student’s knowledge but also develop student’s personality. In my view, I agree that attending classes is still important for student’s lives.

First, while attending classes, students can get some extra knowledge that they probably can not find in any books. Teachers always add their own knowledge into their classes. Some knowledge comes from their real experience while others come from reading various kinds of books. Therefore, for students, attending classes seems to be a shortcut for them to learn and get much knowledge since they can not get such large amount of knowledge from reading only one or even a few types of books.

Moreover, attending classes is also a good way for students to practice their responsibilities. After student enrolled in some classes, they need to force themselves to go to every class no matter what time the classes is. Moreover, finishing any task and homework that students got from their classes can also improve student’s responsibility. Therefore, attending classes can also be to good way for practicing student’s responsibility which is very vital when they go to work.

Finally, students who participate in classes can exchange their idea and knowledge with other friends. For example, while I attended classes, teachers always asked me and my classmates to express our own idea in some particular topics. Moreover, teachers also asked us to work in group which we can learn about teamwork. Students who study alone at their home or library may not be able to exchange and share their idea with others. Therefore, even through not attending classes can probably give students as much knowledge as they do while joining in classes, they may not be able to express and show their thought process as good as students who attend classes do.

In short, even though some people said going to class is not necessary for them, I think that, excepted knowledge, students can get something more while attending class.

• 2 weeks later...

Please take a look at my essay, it reflects a different opinion.

----------------------------

Most universities now require students to attend classes or they will not be allowed to take the final exams. I myself disagree with that policy, believing that students should decide which study method and schedule is most appropriate to them.

Firstly, each student has one method that works best for him. To some, it may be sitting in class and solving the problems by dicussing with classmates while to others, working alone may be the best option. Nowadays, with the assistance of new technology, attending classes is not the only way to gain knowledge, and therefore, universities should encourage students to choose their own way among a variety of options.

Secondly, making studying flexible could also help students manage their time better. In our day, there is hardly any student who devotes all of his time to study. Many students take part-time jobs beside school, and some even have to work hard to earn their livings and afford classes. Others also participate in a variety of community activities. To such students, a fixed schedule may be difficult to follow. Besides, if some students wish to shorten their time of studying, they can work hard at home and finish the program ahead of time without having to attend classes everyday.

Some people may argue that if students can do whatever they want, there will be no discipline at school. But in the other hand, it can help the students think and do independently and therefore, would also help them in their future work. And in contrast to the opion that no discipline could make them lack responsible, I believe that studying under the supervisor of noone but themselves, most students will be more self-disciplined if they are determined to study . And to the rest who do not want to learn at all, whether attending classes or not will make no difference.

Last but not least, by applying a more open attendance policy, universities could also benefit themselves. Because since attending classes is not compulsory, the teachers have no choice but to make their classes more interesting and more helpful to attract students. Furthermore, that will make the school more attractive and competitive to prospect students.

In conclusion, attending classes is not the only way for a student to get education. By providing a variety of options, universities can help students to manage their study effectively and in turn, universities will also gain their own benefit as well.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

please rate this essay I do not know why it was difficult for me..my ethernal vocabulary problems...

I consider that university students should be required to attend classes for several reasons, which I will further discuss.

Firstly, it is easier to understand certain topics or subjects if you attend classes more often. Nowadays, the amount of information is huge and in consequence, it is quite difficult for a student to synthetize all the material in order to understand better the topics. Therefore, if students come more often to classes is for their own interest, because a teacher can explain a certain type of problem in a shorter and easier way. It is a very good thing to go to classes, if only for the fact that, the teacher can help very much in the learning process.

Lenin said that repetition is extremely important in learning. He inferred this, because of the scientifically tested fact that, if someone passes through a certain study material more often, is more likely for that person to gain knowledge in an easier and faster way. The point is, if a student attends classes and he pays very good attention to what the teacher is explaining and if the student understands the topic it will be very easier for him to learn and go deeper into the subject at home. We should also consider the time that a student can save by understanding the lesson while attending the required class.

To conclude, if university students attend classes they will better understand the topics and have a perspective on the entire study material needed for the exams, they will save time and will learn faster. University students need to attend classes if they want to increase their learning productivity and skills.

• 7 months later...

The issue of whether students should be required to attend classes or if going to classes should be optional is a controversial one. On the one hand, in order to achieve the best results in studying people have to be pushed by somebody. If students would have a choice between going to classes and partying, I think they would choose a second one. On the other hand, students who are willing to study will visit as many classes as possible, and if they do not go to certain classes is only because they use other activities for studying. However, in the final analysis, I believe that all students should be required to attend classes.

One reason for my belief is that from the nature people are lazy. Studying is a hard work. Nevertheless that Aristotle once said, “The educated differ from the uneducated as the living from the dead,” people have to be motivated to study. When we are in the university, we meet many interesting people. The life of students is full of different activities such as sports, visiting friends and celebrating different events. Since studying requires much work, studying is not #1 activity that students would do if they would have that choice.

Another reason for my belief is that students do not have the experience and knowledge that would help students to choose those classes that would be the most useful for them. Studying programs are made by professors and many people who had done much research about which classes would be the most useful for studying different subjects. For example, if people study Market of Economy and Management, they have to attend many classes that include mathematics, economy, etc. What would happen if somebody do not like calculus? Then he or she would not be able to graduate, or he or she would have not enough skills to be a good specialist in the economy.

However, some classes should be optional. But these classes have to be an addition to the classes that are required. For instance, if one studies in the School of Business and wants to get a job in a particular finance area, then he or she should attend those classes that would be most helpful in order to obtain knowledge of the profession that he or she wants to get.

For all these reasons I believe that university students have to be required to attend classes. However, there should be some addition classes that students could choose in order to increase their knowledge of the particular profession.

Originally posted by ira

The issue of whether students should be required to attend classes or if going to classes should be optional is a controversial one. On the one hand, in order to achieve the best results in studying people have to be pushed by somebody. If students would have a choice between going to classes and partying, I think they would choose a second one. On the other hand, students who are willing to study will visit as many classes as possible, and if they do not go to certain classes is only because they use other activities for studying. However, in the final analysis, I believe that all students should be required to attend classes.

One reason for my belief is that from the nature people are lazy. Studying is a hard work. Nevertheless that Aristotle once said, “The educated differ from the uneducated as the living from the dead,” people have to be motivated to study. When we are in the university, we meet many interesting people. The life of students is full of different activities such as sports, visiting friends and celebrating different events. Since studying requires much work, studying is not #1 activity that students would do if they would have that choice.

Another reason for my belief is that students do not have the experience and knowledge that would help students to choose those classes that would be the most useful for them. Studying programs are made by professors and many people who had done much research about which classes would be the most useful for studying different subjects. For example, if people study Market of Economy and Management, they have to attend many classes that include mathematics, economy, etc. What would happen if somebody do not like calculus? Then he or she would not be able to graduate, or he or she would have not enough skills to be a good specialist in the economy.

However, some classes should be optional. But these classes have to be an addition to the classes that are required. For instance, if one studies in the School of Business and wants to get a job in a particular finance area, then he or she should attend those classes that would be most helpful in order to obtain knowledge of the profession that he or she wants to get.

For all these reasons I believe that university students have to be required to attend classes. However, there should be some addition classes that students could choose in order to increase their knowledge of the particular profession.

Hello, IRA!

I really think you did a good job on your essay! I had an English-native speaker help me correct it for you, so that the corrections would be accurate. He is not a TOEFL prep teacher, but he knows all about essays... and corrects mine gladly too (the only problem - he has no idea of how to grade them in that TOEFL scale). Anyway, I took the TOEFL exam last Friday and the biggest problem I had was time. I am a slow writer, unfortunately…

Did you manage to write all that in 30 minutes? If not, my tip is to practice that many times too.

Anyway, good luck on your test.

p.s. - I tried to send this message before, but for some reason it did not work (and it just quoted your essay). Let's see if it works now!

"The issue of whether students should be required to attend classes or if going to classes should be optional is a controversial one. There are those who feel that in order for a student to achieve the best results while studying, they have to be pushed. If students would have a choice between going to classes and partying, I think they would choose the second one. On the other hand, students who are willing to study will attend as many classes as possible, and if they do not go to certain classes it is only because they use other activities for studying. However, in the final analysis, I believe that all students should be required to attend classes.

One reason for my belief is that from the nature people are lazy (consider: One reason for my belief is that many people are intrinsically lazy). Studying is a hard work (got rid of Nevertheless that). Aristotle once said, “The educated differ from the uneducated as the living from the dead” (got rid of the comma after dead and put a period). People have to be motivated to study. When we are in the university, we meet many interesting people. The life of a student (got rid of the plural) is full of different activities, such as sports, visiting friends and celebrating different events. Since studying requires time and a lot of work, attending class may not rest atop the priority list if students would have that choice.

Another reason for my belief is that students do not have the experience and knowledge (got rid of “that would help them”) to choose the classes that would be the most useful for them. Study curriculums (instead of studying subjects, because it is necessary to define the difference between a “class” and a “program”. A class is like subject, whereas a program is like and area or a field) are made (consider a word such as “assembled” instead of made, because the teacher does not really make it, more…put it together, although, made will work) by professors and administrators (got rid of many people) who have (got rid of “done”, you can just say “researched”) researched (got rid of about) which classes would be the most useful for studying different programs. For example, if people study Market of Economy (also known as either Marketing, or Economics depending on how you are translating) and Management, they have to attend many classes that include mathematics, economy, etc. What would happen if someone did not like calculus? Then he or she (consider “they”- unisex, or “he/she”) would not be able to graduate. If they did, he or she (“they” instead of he or she) would (consider “may” instead of “would”) not have enough skills to be a good specialist in their field.

However, some classes should be optional. And, if so, these classes have to be an addition to the classes that are required. For instance, if one studies in the School of Business and wants to get a job in a particular finance area, then he or she (they) should attend those classes that would be most helpful in order to obtain the knowledge of that profession (deleted that he or she wants to get). (What you’re saying about studying in the school of business does not pertain to what you opened the paragraph with. You are saying that it is o.k. for a student to not attend classes in some situations. In your “For Instance, you do not support why, but instead, give another example of why a student should attend classes. Consider following profession with this: “Although, it may not be as important for the student to attend an elected class that does not pertain to their particular area of study”. Just remember, the corrector of your test will think that is important that a student attends every class including the elected ones because this will assure that they become a well-rounded student).

For all these reasons I believe that university students have to be required to attend classes. However, there should be some additional classes that students could choose in order to increase their knowledge of the particular profession (your conclusion may sound a little redundant. Consider your strongest point, but don’t simply repeat it. Instead, try to enhance it with a moral reason. For example: “In conclusion, I feel as though there is a good reason why administrators and professors require students to attend classes. It is their experience that we rely on to learn and their advice that we should follow. If students did not need to attend classes in order to receive a proper education, then we would not need Universities. Of course, responsibility is a large part of this learning experience, and it is the choices that we make - to attend class or not - that will one day be a part of what will separate us from the rest”)."

• 4 weeks later...

Topic 014:

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend

classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for

students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and

details to explain your answer.

University students sometimes talk about the choice of whether going to

their classes or not. With regard to this controversial issue, although some

people agree with the idea that university students should be required to

attend classes, I have the negative opinion about it, in other words, I

agree with the opposite idea that going to classes should be optional for

students because it would provide students with more opportunities of

experience and all of the students don't have wealthy parents.

More than anything else, optional classes would provide students with more

opportunities of experience. People generally agree with the idea that

university is not the place to merely study. University must help students

find their aptitude, talents, and plan their future. To support their

behaviors, university should give students enough time to make it, but

compelled classes don't allow it.

The next thing i'd like to mention here is that all of the students don't

afford to pay their tuition fee. Although most of students have a enough

resources to attend university, there can be a few students and university

should consider this minorities. If they are deprived of work time to

classes, they might give up attending university. In this respect, university

should not force students to go to classes.

In conclusion, the question whether students should attend classes or not is

given to me, I would say "No". University has a necessity of giving students

enough time to think about their future and the question must be determined

by the will of students themselves. In addition, it also has a possibility

of students leaving voluntarily to make money.

Originally posted by malena

hello ditoman!

I got pleasure from your essay as usual :).

1. well organized

2. logical

3. nice

Senteces are short and understandable.

I always try to do same with my essays while writing.

Good luck! [heartbeat]

Thanks a lot, malena!!!

I wish you had a lot of advances!!!

• 8 years later...

Please help me with this essay.

Nowadays, many students want to study by themselves, thus they think going to class should be optional. However I feel going to class is the better way for students.

Firstly, in my experience many Vietnamese students instead of going to class they go to cafe, bar, go shopping…. So if going to class just an option, they will never going to class. They think they can discipline themselves, self-study however, in real it is rarely happen. As the result, they get bad score and their parents have to pay fee for their relearning.

Secondly, at school students will get many things that they will never find in books or on the Internet. Teachers are not only the good guider who help students to understand lesson easier but also the ones who will give students useful information that is not show in books – it is their real experience in life. Besides, the government has invested the large of money to build school, library, laboratory… so if students do not go to school, it is vividly the big waste.

In addition, classes are the environment for students to make friends. It’s where students can improve their communication skill. Moreover, they will learn how to work in group, cooperate with people and become more responsibility. It’s really helpful for students in their future carrier.

In short, learning in class bring to students more advantages than studying by themselves. Hence, requiring students to attend class is very necessary. It is not only good for students but also for their parents and the university.

I appreciate your efforts in coming up with some notable ideas to substantiate your point of view.

You have considered from a resource point of view that students should attend classes because these are what they or their parents have paid for.

This is a good point, nevertheless, not as much irrefutable from the students' point of view. Taking the tuition as a sunk cost, why should I attend classes if they do not interest me? If there are something that students find something else more worthwhile to pursue, why forcing them to come to class? Yet, if our classes are the most worthwhile one, they would come be it compelled or propelled.

This said, I do not deny that we have to make some classes mandatory so that students would not be bilked by some ephemeral, myopic indulgences as to sacrifice their gain in the long haul. Nevertheless, even if we force them to be seated in the auditorium, can we ensure that students are paying attention to what the lectures are about? After all, it is our responsibility to arouse students' interests so that they are being instilled not a sense of fear due to penalty from skipping classes, but a sense of compassion and commiseration that this is something that they should learn for the very benefit of themselves.

Hope my couple of cents helps!

Please help me with this essay.