Urch Forums

Topic 133 A person’s childhood years (the time from birth to twelve years of age) are

alimax23

133. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person’s childhood years (the time from birth to twelve years of age) are the most important years of a person’s life. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I agree that a person’s childhood years, from birth until twelve years of age, are the most important ones. All the information I’ve read about that time of life states that these are the years that form us and the way they are spent is crucial for the rest of one’s life. These years determine what kind of person the chills will become. During these years we learn about relationships, begin our formal education, we develop our personality and our moral sense of right and wrong.

The early years are the time when we learn about relationships. First we learn about our parents and our siblings and relatives, then about the rest of the world. We learn how to respond to the others based on the treatment we’re given. This means that if we’re loved in that period we learn how to love others and respond with love. But, if we’re treated harshly, we may grow up to treat others harshly. We also form our ideas about self-worth from the way others treat us during these years. They can teach us we’re worthless, or they can show us we deserve love and respect. Therefore, these are the years that shape our character and personality in the strongest way possible. For instance, I remember that my parents and my grandparents always treated me well during my childhood, and especially when I was little, and with great respect and they offered me love and they showed me how to behave in the society and, therefore I owe them a lot.

In addition to this, these years are the years when we begin our formal education. According to some psychologists children are better in assimilating and mastering than adults. Thus, children are like sponge, trying to get as much information they can and are willing easier to assimilate and memorize it. So, during these first years of life, not only, we acquire the basic skills – reading, writing, working with numbers and calculus- that we’ll use throughout our lives, but also we discover our hidden talents and passions, for instance this is when parents find out if a child has a special talent at painting or dancing, or he likes playing an instrument or the child likes a particular sport and has the chance to become a champion one day. For instance, my parents saw when I was only four year old that I like very much painting, and consequently they took me take special classes of painting to develop my creative skills. Besides, later on when I was seven years old my mother observed my passion for ballet and therefore she offered me the chance to practice this art by registering me to a ballet club where I’ve learnt the first steps and I’ve performed on a real stage.

Most important, from my point of view, these are the years when we develop our moral sense of what is right and wrong. Others teach us about good and bad, but later in our lives we begin o decide for ourselves. For instance, my mother always taught me, when I was little, how to behave into society, to be polite, to say thank you and to be kind with other children. Now I realize that period was crucial and the most important towards my formation as a responsible and well-mannered adult. It’s also during those first years of life that we begin to develop self-discipline to live according to the society’s morals and good beliefs. For instance, parents can only guide their children through this period of life showing them both sides of a thing or situation and giving them the chance to choose what is best for them.

To sum up, I believe that a person grows and changes for the better throughout the many stages of life. However, I strongly believe that the foundation is laid in those first few years of life because those years are shaping one’s future and defining the basic steps forward.

Dear alimax23,

This essay can pretend to be a six-point TOEFL essay, but you should keep in mind that you won't be able to use any spell-checker, and you will be given only 30 minutes. Don't use MS Word when you practice essays. Instead, type your compositions using Notepad.