Urch Forums

Please comment on my essay, #94 Does dancing plays an important role in a culture

sunboy

This is the first time i post a thread and i really hope to get some valuable advice from you, my friends. Please comment freely.

This is the topic:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Dancing plays an important role in a culture. Use specific reasons to support your answers.

And my essay goes:

The majority of people tend to have an unfavorable attitude towards dancing as part of culture. They think that dancing is too superficial to be considered part of culture, which in their minds is something far more profound. Their unfair judgement may origin from the phenomenon that dances are appearing more and more frequently in TV shows, music videos and some other performances of degrade taste, causing people kind of ashamed to acknowledge dance as their culture. Actually, dancing possesses a quite long history and was once the privilege of aristocracy. In recent years dancing is becoming increasingly popular among common people and serves as a way of entertainment. Thus, we can safely come to the conclusion that dancing does play a significant role in our culture, which comes definitely from people’s daily lives.

In the first place, dance is used to express emotions throughout all cultures. Dancers use different movement for the purpose of conveying different emotions like happiness, sadness, fear, excitement, upset and so on. This is like painters and singers would choose certain type of painting to draw and songs to sing when they are trying to show others their specific moods or states of mind.

Secondly, dancing is an excellent way of preserving and retaining culture. It is always involved in a good many regional cultural activities. Consider the Africans for example. In ancient times African people danced together as a ritual at the end of every hunting season to celebrate their affluent harvest and to pray for fortune in the following season. This ritual is continued to today and dance can be seen at any festival and celebration in Africa, at the meantime African culture is well kept and prolonged thanks to the fascinating dancing movements.

Finally, dancing itself is also a fantastic way of exercising our bodies. Most people prefer dancing to any other physical exercise in that dancing appears less vehement in its form and in most cases people would dance to a piece of music, and that seems to have a magic power to make them happy and forget about all that upsetting troubles temporarily.