Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: #023: In some countries, teenagers have jobs while

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    In my opinion, the concept of teenage-students working to support themselves is very good. This concept is prevelant mostly in western countries, but is picking up in metros in some South-Asian countries as well. There are a lot of advantages to this.

Firstly, students learn to be independant very early in life. Earning gives them a sense of responsibility, which is very important for progressing in a chosen career later in life. It also inculcates the sense of spending hard-earned money, carefully. There are parents who keep complaining that there children are spend-thrifts and do not value their money. I would highly recommend to such parents to encourage their children to work.

Also, such students can help their parents by contributing to the family income in whatever small way they can. This increases their respectability within family and society. Such students grow up to be good decision-makers and mature individuals.

Besides, most successful entrepreneurs in the world, started out very early and learnt through their early experiences and failures. Failures that come late in life can be very discouraging and damaging to an individuals personality. But a person who has faced such failures early usually comes out strong and more entreprising, thus increasing the success rate.

However, inspite of all the good things about students working for themselves, there may also be some disadvantages to this concept. If parents stop supervising their children and leave them to be independant, this may lead to students going astray. If they are not made accountable to all the money spent by them, chances are that they may pick up some bad habits like drugs and alcoholism and destroy their own lives.

Thus, we can say that teenagers who work can groom up to be an asset to their family and society as adults. The only word of caution here would be that parents should be aware of the sources of money of their child and make sure that it is spent intelligently, so as to benefit them.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Ranu,

Very good essay there! But, try to make it more formal by using 'us' more than 'I'. this was an advice I got from one of our TM members some tiome ago! Otherwise this isa good job!

Tho
    Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi, this is my essay.
    023# In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.

I strongly support the idea that "teenagers have job while they are still student" because they can learn many thing useful for their life in the future. I will try my best to give out some reasons to support my idea.

Firstly, if students work they will understand the value of money. For example, one works in a restaurant as a waiter 3 hours a day and receives 6 dollars per hour. I am sure that he has to think twice before deciding to buy a pair of Nike air shoes costing 90 dolars or a 400 dollar mobile phone, because he has to work very hard even late at night for several days to earn that amount of money. He may not have this feeling if he get money from his parents.

Secondly, they can learn to take responsibilities. Let come back to my previous example. The student has to come to work on time, because other people depend on him. If he is late, the customers will not be well-served and they do not want to come next time. Consequently, the turnover of the restaurant is decreased and he will get less money and may lose his job. It is quite a good experience for him when he graduates and come to the reality.

Thirdly, when students work they will become independent and confident. In my country, Vietnam, many students who come from rural areas work to pay for their own expenses because their parents are very poor. They do many jobs to earn money such as waiter, home tutor ... And through working they will be self-contained. I think this character is very important for them in the future. In life, sometimes people have to deal with difficult situations without any help from ohers.

In short, students should work to earn money. They will understand the value of money, learn to take reponsibilities and become confident. These factors play a key role in successes in our world.

Your comments and suggestions are warmly welcome. Thanks a heap

Life Activist! vertical_horizon's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Good morning Tho !

Hardly can I see mistakes from your essay! I like it most among all of yours before!

The biggest thing I don't love in it is the intro:
    I strongly support the idea that "teenagers have job while they are still student" because they can learn many thing useful for their life in the future. I will try my best to give out some reasons to support my idea.
    Don't you think you can put your 3 big ideas right in this intro? I like essays that have summarize the mainideas in the intro. It looks more organizational. And IMO you have no need to state 'I will try my best to give out some reasons to support my idea', cuz it seems like you've been thinking so hard to dig out just some ideas. Take it easy and show the scorers that the topic is only a piece of cake for you !

Besides I suggest you to use some other words such as 'On the other hand' or 'finally' instead of 'thirdly'. I myself don't like to make my essay have more than 2 numbers.

Well that's all I can tell , overall your essay is marvelous! I will give you a 5, or even 5.5!

300 to ya,

-phuong-

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Originally posted by Tho

Hi, this is my essay.
    023# In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.

I strongly support the idea that "teenagers have job while they are still student" because they can learn many thing useful useful things for their life in the future. I will try my best to give out some reasons to support my idea.

Firstly, if students work they will understand the value of money. For example, one works in a restaurant as a waiter 3 hours a day and receives 6 dollars per hour. I am sure that he has to think twice before deciding to buy a pair of Nike air shoes costing 90 dolars dollar or a 400 dollar mobile phone, because he has to work very hard even late at night for several days to earn that amount of money. He may not have this feeling if he gets money from his parents.

Secondly, they can learn to take responsibilities. Let come back to my previous example. The student has to come to work on time, because other people depend on him. If he is late, the customers will not be well-served and they do not want to come next time. Consequently, the turnover of the restaurant is decreased and he will get less money and may lose his job. It is quite a good experience for him when he graduates and come to the reality.

Thirdly, when students work they will become independent and confident. In my country, Vietnam, many students who come from rural areas work to pay for their own expenses because their parents are very poor. They do many jobs to earn money such as waiter, home tutor and so on. And through working they will be self-contained. I think this character is very important for them in the future. In life, sometimes people have to deal with difficult situations without any help from others.

In short, students should work to earn money. They will understand the value of money, learn to take responsibilities and become confident. These factors play a key role in successes in our world.

Your comments and suggestions are warmly welcome. Thanks a heap
    Fabulous!!

Noon

Tho
    Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks so much, Phuong & Atnoon.
    Your comments are very useful to me. Hope to receive your help next time.
    If my essay is worth 5, i think 4 is yours
    Thanks again, my friends.

Good post? Yes | No
    hi folks,
    as a newcomer I hope for some comments, because I have no real sense, in which direction my essay-trials tend.
    ---> if this trial completely flies into the face of the general essay-idea, por favor, el seńor!!! let me know. (by the way, nice icons:)

_____

From my point of view the answer to the above stated question can solely be: Yes, it is a good idea to be earning one’s own money even if one is still young and at one’s studies.

But in general the decision to spend time working during one’s studies depends on the one hand on one’s financial circumstances. On the other hand one’s ability to manage studies, houseworks and attendance at lectures in order to acquire sufficient knowledge to pass the exams migth additionally limit one’s available time for a job.

Taking into account my personal situation at studies and considering my present monetary situation I soon arrive at the conclusion that it wouldn’t have been feasible for me to afford the needs of everyday’s life without earning my own money. Moreover being financially independent from my parents makes me feel comfortable and grown-up.

However while preparing intensively for my diploma exams or my promotion I would rather make allowances for pausing my job, due to the intensification of studies.

In a nutshell, I consider having a job while attending the university rather important as long as earning money does not hinder the achievement of scholar aims.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Erin ,guys and glas.........Pleasssssssezz, I need to get my essay evaluated soon :o, I have to take the test on March 26, so I will be writing scores of essays here, I hope you guys will help me by reading them and giving me suggestions.
    Cheerss...!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is a good idea for teenagers to have jobs while they are still students because it is an excellent way to prepare them for the "real" world, it teaches them to be responsible and trains them early in their lives to handle their own finances.

Parents very often tend to be over protective of their childern and shield them from the harsh realities of life. In my opinion I think the earlier a child or teenager is exposed to the realities of life the higher would the child's maturity and chances of being successful in life. The best way to gain experience or to expose a teenager to what he can expect from life is to give him or her an opportunity to work in the real world. The teenager would immediately learn or atleast be exposed to many things in life which he or she would have never seen, experienced or imagined before.

Secondly once a person is exposed to the realities of life, he becomes more responsible since he would know that life is not all that easy as he had experienced before he started to work. Inevitably the teen has to plan his day properly when he has to work and this would help him in organising his day and time management skills. He would have to make choices, though they may seem small at this point in life. This would teach him a very important lesson that there might be a wide gap between what we actually want to do and what we actually have to do. In the teenager's perspective it might be a choice he has to make between having to enjoy with his friends or work. Certainly all the above would help him in being more responsible.

But in my opinion the most important lesson having a job can do to a teenager is help him in planning his finances. The teenager may not earn much but it gives him an hands on experience in spending his money judiciously. I believe a person understands an idea faster when he actually experiences it, hence if a person starts to plan his own finances he can handle it better than learning about it theorotically. If a teen comes from a poor family he can work, earn his own money and yet not be deprived of the all the fun that an average teenager wants have or the money can even pay for his education.

Hence I strongly believe that it is a good idea for teenagers to have a job while they are still students, not only for economic reasons but it can used as ideal training ground of what to expect in his years after education.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi, Erin and others, may you please comment on my essays!

23. In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details.

The notion that different people have different preferences is deeply rooted in my mind. Whether teenagers should make money when they are students is up to them. I believe that teenagers should consider their own management skills, financial necessities and the experiences that may be derived from the jobs. However, if they are aged under 16, which is the standard working age in most of the countries, they should be encouraged not to go out for a job. The reasons will be outlined below.

In the real business world are a lot of unscrupulous businessmen that we cannot avoid from. Even as an adult, we often fall into prey. The numerous lawsuits between the employers and employees can prove this. On account of this, most of the governments forbid the youngsters under 16 to enter into the employment contracts with the companies. Personally I totally agree with such an arrangement in consideration of their lack of maturity and sophistication.

In other cases, the teenagers aged above 16 should be given opportunities to work. They can learn to be more independent if they have the chances of working with other experienced workers. Also, the organization structure and the working procedures can instill an important concept of disciplinary behavior to them. In addition, the compensation gained by themselves can fulfill their wants and needs.

However, I would like to stress that if their work adversely affect their learning progress due to their inability of controlling their time, it would be better for them to concentrate on their studies only unless their families are really living in poverty.

In short, governments should protect those who are under the age of 16 since they are immature enough to work in the real world and they are at the ages which should receive normal education. Once they reach this standard age, they should have the chances to freely determine whether they should have jobs based on the above attributes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information