Urch Forums

Please help me check my TOEFL essay, thank you!

LuckyeggQ

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? In order to be well informed, people should get information from different news sources.

Different from the past, we can get the latest news from various kinds of media now. However, people hold different opinions about the issue that whether we will be well informed of the news if we get information from lots of mass media? From my point of view, I believe the mass media brings a lot of benefits to peoples live. It helps us to get news easier, faster and more comprehensively.

Firstly, getting information from different resources will help us get the latest news faster, which is very convenient for us. Because sometimes we cannot get the latest and useful information we want at the first time if we only get them from one source. I will use my own experience to hold this opinion. Last month in Beijing, it was raining heavily outside and I was just finished my work and intended to go back home by taking the subway. I went to my twitter page before I leave, I find that people were discussing about an serious accident just happened in the subway, people took latest pictures in the subway and put them on the Internet. So I went home by taxi instead of subway. Finally, I went home in time. After that day, the newspaper reported the accident, which made the subways paused for 2 hours. If I didn't use the Internet to get the news that day, I might stick in the subway station for 2 hours. That must be so inconvenient for me.

Moreover, we can know the news more exhaustive if we get information from various kinds of sources. For instance, you want to know the information of princess William's wedding. You can search the news in different resources. From the newspapers and magazines, you will know some basic information about the wedding, like the time, the place and the people attended. While from the televisions and Internet, you cannot only get the basic news but also see some video materials in the wedding, which include more details. What's more, you can see a lot of comments on the internet about the wedding to let you know other people's views and if you like you can also make some comments on the internet. Therefore, getting information from different news sources will be more comprehensively and more interesting.

Admittedly, facing different news contents and comments from different materials may make us confused, because there will be too much news every day, the political statements, the celebrities gossips, the technology development and so on. All the news will be messed up. However, I don't think this is a problem, because people have different intentions when they are searching information, people always like to focus on the kind of news which we are interested in, and most of the news media have already classified the news materials into different aspects, people can find the news they like to know easily so that the information will not be a mess.

In a word, compare with getting information only from one way, we will be better informed if we get news from various kind of media resources.

I think you missed Tino's point. You don't need to shorten it after the fact -- you need to practice writing and speaking in the same format that will occur on the test. This is NOT a TOEFL essay since you spent 60 minutes working on it. You have to practice writing your independent essays in 30 minutes and build from there.

By the way "advice" is a non-count noun in English, so there is no such word as "advices."

Please rate my Essay.

Thanks

Some people believe that the best way of learning about life is by listening to the advice of family and friends.Other people believe that the best way of learning is through personal experience.Which way do you prefer.

I believe best way to learn about life is by listening to the advices of family and friends.Becasue of few reseaons.

First of all,listening to the advices of family and friends gives an indepth opinion of others views about the concern matter and he or she if would have been in the situation before can come up with satisfying to near satisfying solution.

For example,I am a business person,I have a successfull business running in East part of Glendale,But I always had plans to spread my business to Burbank and Pasadena.But I was doubtfull wheather its a good time to open as retail market has been hit hard with great recession and pepole now a days are willing to save money instead of spending.Even job markets are highly affected with recession was in my mind.But i was adament to go ahead with the plan.I conveyed my opinion to my family and friends,they strongly condemned my plan by quoting their own example when they started their business couple of decades back in the same situation.I totally relyed on their views after analyzing the facts if I would open business in other locations.In this way my friends stood beside me and helped from severe loses which could have incured if i sticked to my intensions of business expansion.

In addition to that,Family and friends give unbasied answers as they are people who truly care about you without hidden agenda of gain or deceive you in any sense of distruction.We can keep unshaken faith and keep trust on them as they are none other than our own family.For example,When I finished my high school I was very much confused and was in dilemma wheather to take up Medicne or Business managment for my Bachelors degree.I was young with little or no expereince in these fields.My family and friends greatly helpled me by comparing and contrasting pro's and con's of each field and they gave examples of their own life , so that i can relate to the incidences and make wise choices for my future.

Not only that i remember an incident when I was severly down with common cold,There was a curfew in whole city due to unseen violence which erupted accidently,My grand mother who was 83 years old suggested with her expereince to add honey with warm water and drink it as it is a home remedy for sore throat and cold,I followed her directions and got benefited with her home remedies.

Thats why i believe that best way of learning life is by listening to advices of family and friends.