Urch Forums

Plss rate this essay :- People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doin

k_r_m

Hi, my GMAT is in couple of days, so please someone rate this essay :-

TOPIC :- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I certainy agree with the statement that people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. I will state a few circumstances under which a person will be forced to do something which he doesn't enjoy doing. A person may do such things just for the sake of happiness of his loved ones, or because he is under a compulsion of doing it.

Consider an example of a person who loves his wife a lot and who doesn't enjoy going to a concert. But if his wife is a huge fan a particular singer, and that singer organises a live concert in the city, that person will certainly go to the concert even if he doesn't enjoy going, just becuase his wife is keen on attending the concert. He will do this just for the happiness of her wife. Thus, even if the person doesn't enjoy going to concerts, he will attend the concert just for the sake of his wife's happiness.

However, its not always happiness of the loved ones that drives a person to do something that he doesn't usually enjoy doing. There may be several other reasons. He might be forced to do something he doesn't enjoy doing if its compulsory for him to do it. Consider an example of a person who is suffering from tooth decay. He may not enjoy going to a dentist to get the treatment, as the treatment is really painful, but he has to do it just because it is the only way to save his tooth. Consider another example of a sportsman, who has to go for a drug test, even if he does not enjoy going for it, just because the rules demand it.

Moreover, there may be several other reasons under which a person may do something which he doesn't usually enjoy doing. A person may learn swimming, even if he is afraid of water and doesn't enjoy swimming, just because he has to travel a lot through water-ways because it is the only travelling medium available to him to go to certain places. Also, a person may lie sometimes for some good cause, even if he doesn't enjoy lying.

To conclude, I would say that different circumstances force people to do things which they do not usually enjoy doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...