Urch Forums

#063: Most experiences in our lives that seemed

vrushali

Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support our answer.

Sometimes in our life suddenly some things happens, which really becomes valuable lessons for the future. Yes I agree with this statement.

I would say that, when some problems or some unexpected things takes place in our life, and if we solve such things, then it definitely helps us to built the confidence. It surely helps us in our future life.

I can give one good example to support my opinion. When I was in school, my father lost his job. Since I was from a very poor family, my dad didn’t afford to pay my school fees. So I started working as a helper in one grocery shop, and managed my fees as wel as helped my mom to handle the home expenses.

I would say that though I was very young that time to handle my expenses, but because of my efforts I have completed my education, and now I am working as software engineer. If I had not taken the efforts that time, still I would have been working as a helper in that grocery shop.

I learnt from that incidence that does not hesitate to do any small work, if it is going to help you to improve your life and always do a hard work.

To conclude this I would say that, yes definitely most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future.

Originally posted by vrushali

Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support our answer.

Sometimes in our life suddenly some things happens, which really becomes valuable lessons for the future. Yes I agree with this statement.

I would say that, when some problems or some unexpected things takes place in our life, and if we solve such things, then it definitely helps us to built the confidence. It surely helps us in our future life.

I can give one good example to support my opinion. When I was in school, my father lost his job. Since I was from a very poor family, my dad didn’t afford to pay my school fees. So I started working as a helper in one grocery shop, and managed my fees as wel as helped my mom to handle the home expenses.

I would say that though I was very young that time to handle my expenses, but because of my efforts I have completed my education, and now I am working as software engineer. If I had not taken the efforts that time, still I would have been working as a helper in that grocery shop.

I learnt from that incidence that does not hesitate to do any small work, if it is going to help you to improve your life and always do a hard work.

To conclude this I would say that, yes definitely most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future.

Hi vrushali,

you have come up with a nice essay but you have dealt with only one idea, that is, one should not hesitate in doing any sort of small work. I think, you should add more ideas into your essay. There are minor grammar mistakes and typos.

Labas or Hello Vrushali!

Well, this essay is nice, because it has really a good example, but that's not enough. It should have more than one supporting idea. BTW, all 4 body paras should be one para, because it is about the same. Also, the intro is too short and mechanical. Add something personaly from you, rephrase the topic. A cocnlusion shouldn't be totally the same as an intro.

I suggest you to read some sample essays in tesmagic.com website. And don't be shy to post all remarks, doubts or questions you have.

HTH! Renata

• 6 months later...

Please review my essay. Thanks a lot!!!

#63. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

I agree that most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. All the fact that I defeat my cowardice as well as solve problems directly proves the statement above.

First, to conquer myself is the most difficult account to engage; however, this is the first step to achieve other ambitions in the future. I was afraid of public speaking and preferred to do everything to avoid it. However, it became my biggest obstacle to achieve my dream—to be a teacher. I had to try to say something in front of a lot of people. I still remember that when I do so for the first time my face gradually turned into red, I nearly forgot what I should said at the beginning, I felt that as if I did not stand on my own feet and almost fainted because of my anxiety. When I did my best to finish the speaking, I realized that I was streaming with sweat. But just this difficult experience contributes my confidence to conquer my timidity and establish the determining basic to realize my dream. Moreover, I learn that the best way to overcome cowardice is to face it and do whatever I do not dare.

Second, to go straight to the problems and solve them but not regret what you have done is another lesson I learned from my difficult experiences. When I was in my college, since I studied so hard, I was ill. However, if I was in bed to take a rest I would miss the crucial lessons before final exams, or I had to endure to go to classes. My relatives suggested me to consider the health first. I accept her proposal and missed the classes. After two days rest, I was eager to fix the classes by myself. Unfortunately, I could not understand the context as usual and my lecture did not have time to explain to me. I did not blame anyone, on the contrary, I went to the faculty, ask some other relevant assistants to teach me. With their help, I understood the principles. Furthermore, I tried very hard to solve the stiff exercises. At the final exams, I was one of few top grade students for this subject. I am so proud of myself, and I learn to more concentrate on solving problems rather that regret or blame on others.

In conclusion, although some experiences are tough, they can become the most worthwhile lessons. In other words, they can contribute more profits to our lives.

• 5 months later...

Help me to RATE this essay . It's only 2 weks to go before my actual TOEFL . Help me please. I really want to know my possible score .

Thanks so much

63 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support our answer.

It is often believed that most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. In my opinion, I find it necessary to have difficult experience to realize one’s value, to gain knowledge, which are valuable lessons. I will present my opinion with the following reasons.

The most important reason is as the saying goes “No pain, no gain”. It has been proved that one will gain so many things if he has difficult experience. What he gains is not only the success but also the invaluable knowledge. To take an example of one difficult experience I have experience in school. At that time, I was about to take a very competitive exam to obtain a 50% scholarship to US. When the exam took place, it really shocked me that the exam did not test me about the academic knowledge or all the knowledge I have got in school. Instead, I was asked about the general information, about the most common concept everyone would know but I, for some reason, never paid attention to that kind of knowledge. Consequently, I failed the exam simply because I could not do most of the test. I was very sad but I was also grateful for the failure. From that time on, besides knowledge I got from school, from teachers, I tried to search for the general information through newspaper, television. I, undoubtedly, have gained so much from that unforgettable exam.

The second reason is that if we are never in difficult experience, we may hardly realize our true value. In high school, I had a rather timid girlfriend who would give a speech in front of the whole school including thousands of pupils and hundreds of teachers. Because we are close friend, she expressed her nervousness and worry when being watched by so may people. She was in unpleasant situation because she had never been a good presenter. However, the speech turned out quite well and all of us were surprised by her fluent speaking. In addition, since that speech, we have known that she had an aptitude for public speaking, which we, even she had never believed before.

In conclusion, I think mot people do not want difficult experience; however experiencing such difficult time can help us to realize our true value and gives us a chance to get invaluable knowledge, which are considered valuable lessons .

[heartbeat]

Hi VietnameseCow

I will present my opinion with the following reasons.

As TM Staff had mentioned, you should tell the readers what you are going to present right here, in the introduction part.

The most important reason is as the saying goes “No pain, no gain”. It has been proved that one will gain so many things if he has difficult experience. What he gains is not only the success but also the invaluable knowledge. To take an example of one difficult experience I have experience in school. At that time, I was about to take a very competitive exam to obtain a 50% scholarship to US. When the exam took place, it really shocked me that the exam did not test me about the academic knowledge or all the knowledge I have got in school. Instead, I was asked about the general information, about the most common concept everyone would know but I, for some reason, never paid attention to that kind of knowledge. Consequently, I failed the exam simply because I could not do most of the test. I was very sad but I was also grateful for the failure. From that time on, besides knowledge I got from school, from teachers, I tried to search for the general information through newspaper, television. I, undoubtedly, have gained so much from that unforgettable exam.

The second reason is that if we are never in difficult experience, we may hardly realize our true value. In high school, I had a rather timid girlfriend who would give a speech in front of the whole school including thousands of pupils and hundreds of teachers. Because we are close friend, she expressed her nervousness and worry when being watched by so may people. She was in unpleasant situation because she had never been a good presenter. However, the speech turned out quite well and all of us were surprised by her fluent speaking. In addition, since that speech, we have known that she had an aptitude for public speaking, which we, even she had never believed before.

In conclusion, I think mot people do not want difficult experience; however experiencing such difficult time can help us to realize our true value and gives us a chance to get invaluable knowledge, which are considered valuable lessons .

Nice and organized paras. Your examples are vivid and persuasive.

All in all, your writing is getting better day by day. If you write this essay in 30 minutes, surely you can get 5.5 for real TWE. Congrats!!

• 2 weeks later...

------------------

It is usualy said that hard experiences are valuable lessons. I think the claim is absolutely true. After hard experiences people learn alot of things, and the next time when faced with similar situations, they can easier get over. More detailed reasons, and exapmle are given below.

At the first time when someone confronts with a hard problem, he becomes confused finding a solution. Not everyone can find a good way to the problem, but no matter that poeple suceed to solve the problem or not, trying to find is already a good lession. People learn from the lession many skills, many facts that they had misunderstood. For example , when I was young , I was very shy. Many times in school, I didn't dare to say my thinking to the teachers and friends. I was afraid people would laugh at me. But once I had an excercise of representation, I had to tell to all the class. I tried very hard, and at last I could get over the shyness to do the representation well. That experience turned to be very useful for me later. I become less shy, and got many oppotunities, that I wouldn't have had if I still had been so shy.

Every one has this kind of experience in his life. We also usually say that life is not easy. That true but It is worth to try becouse when we can get over not only we will be happy for the successful work , but that experience also brimgs us great benefit.

• 1 month later...

63.Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

The statement that most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future is an undoubtedly accepted statement. There are sayings about experience like “Experience speaks”, ”Experience makes man perfect” . These say that with experience one can predict how the situation is going to be turned out and with experience one become perfect with understanding all the pros and cons of it. These experiences are the most valuable lessons one should not forget throughout the life for successful and prosperous future.

One reason for my belief is that past experiences are helpful in overcoming the mistakes we have done previously. For example, last month my brother attended for an interview. He prepared well for that . However , he cannot get job in that company because of the fact that he does not know much about that company and the job for which he applied. Subject wisely he prepared well for that. If he remember this mistake and never make it again then he will be successful. Otherwise he may have to face the same situation.

Another reason for my belief is they also help to make better progress in the future. For example, for my previous semester exams I studied which are easier to me first and left all the difficult lessons to study later. But during the examination time I suffered a lot because I do not had the time to study the difficult topics which are new to me . Obviously they took much time to study only few topics and as I also had to revise the previous one I left some of the portion . Due to this I cannot farewell in the exams. With this experience next time I can betterly plan my preparation so that I can do well in my future exams.

Finally, there may be situations where we can learn lessons from past experiences but we can reverse the affect of those mistakes or decisions. In those cases the best thing is to observe our precedents lives and learn lessons from their experiences.

Could somebody please help comment my essay I'll take the TOEFL test this coming Friday!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

There is an old saying, "Experience is the best teacher". Seemingly, this can be applied for almost all living things in the world, both humans and animals. Every time we do wrong, it is usually engraved in our memories and we rarely repeat the same mistake over and over. In my opinion, the more difficult experiences are, the better chances you learn from them.

Experiences are the reason why teachers give their students homework. Teachers know that homework will help amplify knowledge that students learn in classrooms. When I first began to study English, I tried and tried to do all hard grammar exercises, which could stumulate my improvement rapidly. For a successful business man, you could hardly imagine how many failures he has made before he stands at his present position.

When you face a hard situation, you have to try to figure out the best solution to get through it. Such a hard situation requires more of your abilities and efforts, therefore, it encourages you to give it all you've got. Then, after you've already passed it, no matter you have done it right or wrong, you've definitely learn the lesson. Consequently, you'll become tougher and you'll not be afraid to deal with it again. After all, you'll looking for more challenging problems to test your abilities.

All in all, it is likely that most difficult experiences always benefit you, whether or not

you aware of them. Next time you are in a tough situation, don't be afraid of it, just try your best, and eventually, you'll find that it'll become a precious lesson in your future.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Synapse

Could somebody please help comment my essay I'll take the TOEFL test this coming Friday!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

There is an old saying, "Experience is the best teacher". Seemingly, this can be applied for almost all living things in the world, both humans and animals. Every time we do wrong, it is usually engraved in our memories and we rarely repeat the same mistake over and over. In my opinion, the more difficult experiences are, the better chances you learn from them.

Experiences are the reason why teachers give their students homework. Teachers know that homework will help amplify knowledge that students learn in classrooms. When I first began to study English, I tried and tried to do all hard grammar exercises, which could stumulate my improvement rapidly. For a successful business man, you could hardly imagine how many failures he has made before he stands at his present position.

When you face a hard situation, you have to try to figure out the best solution to get through it. Such a hard situation requires more of your abilities and efforts, therefore, it encourages you to give it all you've got. Then, after you've already passed it, no matter you have done it right or wrong, you've definitely learn the lesson. Consequently, you'll become tougher and you'll not be afraid to deal with it again. After all, you'll looking for more challenging problems to test your abilities.

All in all, it is likely that most difficult experiences always benefit you, whether or not

you aware of them. Next time you are in a tough situation, don't be afraid of it, just try your best, and eventually, you'll find that it'll become a precious lesson in your future.

Hi, Synapse.

The introduction of your essay reads quite well. It states your opinion clearly, but fails to provide the reader with your main points. You should always state these in this part of your essay.

The main points in the body of the essay should be supported with clear examples. It is a good idea to include your example of learning English here, but you must let the reader know "what" this is an example of. Avoid mixing examples (i.e. your experience learning English and the experiences of a businessman). Instead, pick one strong example and go with it.

The conclusion you've written provides the reader with a good restatement of your point of view, but not of your main points. These should also be included here.

I hope these suggestions will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, I'm new here and quite desperate about the TOEFL essay.

What do you think, hm?

"Every person, in his life and personal development, knows bad times and good times, has good and bad experiences, meet good and bad people. I think we have something to learn from every experience in our lives, especially from the difficult ones.

When I was twenty three years old, after my university graduation, the social and economic situation was very difficult in my country; people experienced the tranzition from a communist system to a democratic one. At this time, I worked in a public institution, completely financed by the government. With all the budget problems and political instability, the resources for the institution where I was working were very poor and I had to survive without my monthly payment for more than six months. Additionally, I was doing nothing all my work hours, because my laboratory had no projects.

Those days I felt like nobody needs a young biochemist with very good university grades and very good professional and personal skills; for a while I thought it is my fault and I am not good enough. It took me months of introspection to understand it is nothing wrong with me; that is, the society needed others things at that moment and other types of persons, with other occupations and other skills. After all those months, I finally got a picture of the reality and I started to work as a computer person (computers are my big hobby), firstly small jobs, after a while more difficult ones. I went to another school, and I changed my field and occupation. It was very hard for me to work and study very hard for years.

Now I know about myself I am a strong person, capable to work independently and capable of decision. And I know I’m not afraid of change anymore.

In conclusion, I think every hard experience in our life is a lesson for the future; but we have to be capable of understand it."

Originally posted by bobo

Hi everybody, I'm new here and quite desperate about the TOEFL essay.

What do you think, hm?

"Every person, in his life and personal development, knows bad times and good times, has good and bad experiences, meet good and bad people. I think we have something to learn from every experience in our lives, especially from the difficult ones.

When I was twenty three years old, after my university graduation, the social and economic situation was very difficult in my country; people experienced the tranzition from a communist system to a democratic one. At this time, I worked in a public institution, completely financed by the government. With all the budget problems and political instability, the resources for the institution where I was working were very poor and I had to survive without my monthly payment for more than six months. Additionally, I was doing nothing all my work hours, because my laboratory had no projects.

Those days I felt like nobody needs a young biochemist with very good university grades and very good professional and personal skills; for a while I thought it is my fault and I am not good enough. It took me months of introspection to understand it is nothing wrong with me; that is, the society needed others things at that moment and other types of persons, with other occupations and other skills. After all those months, I finally got a picture of the reality and I started to work as a computer person (computers are my big hobby), firstly small jobs, after a while more difficult ones. I went to another school, and I changed my field and occupation. It was very hard for me to work and study very hard for years.

Now I know about myself I am a strong person, capable to work independently and capable of decision. And I know I’m not afraid of change anymore.

In conclusion, I think every hard experience in our life is a lesson for the future; but we have to be capable of understand it."

Hi, Bobo.

I think you've made a good try here at the TOEFL Essay. However, there are some points that you should make note of for use in your future attempts.

Although the introduction is fine in that it says what you are trying to say---I would recommend some variation on the language used. In other words, instead of saying "good and bad" times, "good and bad" experiences and "good and bad" people, try using synonyms for these words. Try variations through the use of words like "positive and negative" or "challenging and rewarding", for example. Clarity and organization in the essay are greater priorities for you as the essay writer, but things like word choice, grammar, vocabulary and punctuation cannot be overlooked.

The body of your essay is that part that needs the most revision. As it currently is, the body is merely one personal example that you've shared with your readers. It is very good to include personal examples to add support to your main ideas, but they cannot act as main points on their own.

To backtrack for a second, in the introduction you should state your opinion in regards to the question posed and then state two or three main points supporting this.

Let's look at the following example. If you feel that difficult times are good for a person because they develop character OR make a person stronger---then either of these might be a MAIN POINT. However, the EXAMPLE of your personal struggles following the changes made in your country, should come only as additional support AFTER you've stated your opinion and these main points.

Use your conclusion to restate the information from your essay. Avoid same word choice and repeating yourself. Do not introduce new material (opinions, examples, etc.) at this point.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff