Urch Forums

#033: You have received a gift of money. The money

Erin

People have differnt ways of spending money received as gift. Today, I received money from my uncle as a gift. As this money is enough to buy a gold bracelet which I saw last evening in the market. I would like to buy that bracelet instead of spending money to buy concert tickets or anything else. I am summarizing below few reasons for making this choice.

Firstly,I am very fond of jwelleries since my childhood. Different kind of jwelleries like bracelets, rings, necklaces, bangles made up of gold, silver or pearl always fascinate me. Beautiful carving on metallic jwels and glitter of precious stones makes them more alluring. One can understand my fondness from the incidence that when I was only 7 years old, I sneakly decorated myself with my mother's ornaments and went to studio neraby to get photographed.

Besides, jwellery has important place in woman body decoration. As per our(Indian) tradition, a woman's body decoration is incomplete without ornaments. It becomes more important when there is any ceremony or celebration. I want to wear that bracelet for my cousin's wedding ceremony next week. It will go very well with my outfit which I am planning to wear in that party.

Moreover, my interest in collecting and wearing jwelleries has its own advantage. As you know, gold and other precious metal's prices are continuously increasing. It is easy to find a good resale price of them. Therefore, in case of any financial need in future I can easily recover my money by selling my jwellery.

Overall, I would like to buy a piece of jwellery from the money, I have received as a gift. It will not only satisfy my interest and requirement of tradition but also, offer me an option to liquidate it at time of need.

Originally posted by neha

People have differnt ways of spending money received as gift. Today, I received money from my uncle as a gift. As this money is enough to buy a gold bracelet which I saw last evening in the market. I would like to buy that bracelet instead of spending money to buy concert tickets or anything else. I am summarizing below few reasons for making this choice.

Firstly,I am very fond of jwelleries since my childhood. Different kind of jwelleries like bracelets, rings, necklaces, bangles made up of gold, silver or pearl always fascinate me. Beautiful carving on metallic jwels and glitter of precious stones makes them more alluring. One can understand my fondness from the incidence that when I was only 7 years old, I sneakly decorated myself with my mother's ornaments and went to studio neraby to get photographed.

Besides, jwellery has important place in woman body decoration. As per our(Indian) tradition, a woman's body decoration is incomplete without ornaments. It becomes more important when there is any ceremony or celebration. I want to wear that bracelet for my cousin's wedding ceremony next week. It will go very well with my outfit which I am planning to wear in that party.

Moreover, my interest in collecting and wearing jwelleries has its own advantage. As you know, gold and other precious metal's prices are continuously increasing. It is easy to find a good resale price of them. Therefore, in case of any financial need in future I can easily recover my money by selling my jwellery.

Overall, I would like to buy a piece of jwellery from the money, I have received as a gift. It will not only satisfy my interest and requirement of tradition but also, offer me an option to liquidate it at time of need.

Neha (You are a woman, huh?;)),

1. If you put a space line between each paragraph, your essay will be neat.

2. JEWELRY not JWELRY, JEWELLERY not JWELLERY, JEWEL not JWEL. And nearby not neraby.

3. No need to put Indian in parentheses. Proud to present your nation and country, o.k.?

4. Your essay has some grammatical incorrect. Practicing a lot, you are going to improve.

5. Your opinions are fine.:)

That's all for now

Noon:)

At a glance, it might be a tough choice between a piece of jewelry and tickets to a concert. A piece of jewelry is something real that I can keep an eye on and recall me of the one who contributed to the gift, while a concert is where I can enjoy myself to keep delighted. But after a second thought, I would prefer a concert to a piece of jewelry.

One thing is that material things do not necessarily last long. We all have the experience that when we finally got something we have been longing for, we won't cherish it any more and even begin to set it aside and never ask about it. Sometimes we just enjoy the way we get things to fulfill our temporary contentment, and the thing itself doesn't mean a lot. For a piece of jewelry, I can like it for a while and be fascinated about it, but very soon I may regard it outdated and become inclined to other styles.

On the other hand, a good concert is a kind of spiritual food to me. When I am tired or unhappy, music can always bring me easiness and strength. It is a kind of comfort to my mind which is what money cannot buy. In addition, I can go to the concert with my parents or my best friend to share the perfect moment. The moment to share with someone I love is by no means the happiest thing.

All in all, I would rather buy the tickets to a concert than a piece of jewelry, for I believe a good mood is more worth gaining.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a piece of jewelry you like or tickets to a concert you want to attend. Which would you buy? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

My aunts visit last week, though very boring, was a very profitable one for me. Before leaving, along with a wet kiss on my forehead, she also gifted me a crisp 50 dollar bill. And now I am in a fix about how do I spend the money.

There is a encrusted bracelet that I saw at the jewelers, which I like very much and it costs $40. But there is also this Eminem concert coming up next week, which also I dont want to miss. What a predicament this is!

The reason I like this bracelet is that it has an amazing skull emblem on it, whose eyes are encrusted with a green shiny stone and It would be a great present for my brother John's birthday, the day after. It would also look great on his new tan shirt. I have to give him a good gift because he did present me a brand new bike. But would he like that. I really don't know.

The other thing that I can spend the money on is the Eminem concert at the Jade Stadium and do I love Eminem. The concert ticket costs $80 but I am getting a special couples pass for 50 bucks and so I could take my girlfriend Tina along. It has been a long time since we went to a concert together and I am sure we would have a blast.

Well I really feel that I should buy the gift eventhough I really want to attend the concert. Well I know that if I give a gift, John would appreciate it, whatever it is. And I can wait to attend an Eminem concert. Also the $10 that remain I can go for a great movie with Tina and also have dinner outside. So that decides it - The bracelet it is!

• 3 months later...

Hi, everyone.

This topic is too hard for me.

I completed this essay with all difficulty.

So, please give me comments kindly.

You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a piece of jewelry you like or tickets to a concert you want to attend. Which would you buy? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Many women love jewerly, and so do I because it glitters in various ways, and I can feel very proud of wearing it. I prefer to buy a jewel if the money is earnd by myself. Yet in this case, I would buy tickets to a concert.

First of all, receiving money as a present is an extraordinay opportunity for me because I am well over twenty and in the place of giving money or bear costs on everything to my younger people. Under such circumstances, I cannot help feeling a sense of duty for the mode of using money in the form of a gift; I must spend it in the way that I can show gratitude for the giver and share it with people such as my family or friends. Of the two suggested ways above, the latter would satisfy these ideas.

The enough money to buy some tickets to a concert means that I can participate in it together with the giver and other people. By doing so, not only can I thank the giver implicitly, but also entertain the others attending, which create the feeling of acknowledgement in all, and therefore help make the concert more enjoyable and memorable. Moreover, I also will be filled with the self-compleancy of fulfilling my duty. I think it an intelligent way of dealing with such a present as an adult.

To sum up, since I am obliged to use the money carefully taking account of others because of my age, I would choose to buy some tickets for a concert.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

The decision whether to buy a piece of jewelry or to attend a concert is subjective. Personally, I consider that I will bye the tickets and enjoy the concert. The reasons for this decision I will explain them further.

Firstly, it is proved that doing enjoyable things with your friends or closest ones strengthen our relationships. It is demonstrated that young people do not always place a high value on material things like jewelry and I am one of this category. I think that it is more important to go on a concert with friends and spend quality time listening in their company, the music we enjoy very much. Doing things that we enjoy in common helps us preserve a long lasting and reliable friendship.

Secondly, I go to a concert in order to get closer to my favorite singer. I am a big fan of Celine Dion, and if she is to come in my country to play, nothing will keep me from attending her concert, therefore, buying a piece of jewelry will always be second best choice compared to the first opportunity.

To sum up, I consider that buying tickets to a concert will be a much better choice than buying a piece of jewelry that you might not need and that in time it will no longer be fashionable. Doing things that we enjoy like going to a concert with our dear ones helps us building a stronger and more reliable relation with them, besides the fact that it is more fun, relaxing and provides you with memories of a life time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I would like somebody to read and to corect my essay.I don't feel very comfortable to write essays in English but I have to practice to take a TOFEL exam. Any advices to help me?

You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a piece of jewelry you like or tickets to a concert you want to attend. Which would you buy? Use specific reasons and detailes to support your answer.

Everyone likes to receive gifts, especially when they are gifts of money one can spend the way he/she wants such as buying a piece of jewelry or buying tickets for concert If I would receive a gift of money and it would be enough to either buy a piece of jewelry or tickets for the concert, I would choose to buy tickets for concert and would invite some friends to attend it with me. To support my decision, I will present a few reasons along with examples.

I like to share things with others. I think it would be nice to spend my gift of money not only on myself but also on those people who I like and care about, such as my best friends. If I would buy tickets for the concert, I could share them with my friends, especially if it would be a performer we all would like to see.

I don’t place a high value on material things like jewelry. Of course, I think it is something that every woman enjoys. It is an important attachment to the whole elegant and glamorous woman’s look. But, jewelry depends on the current fashion, and if I would buy a bracelet or earrings, I would probably only wear it for one or two seasons until it goes out of style. Besides, it would be a trinket, which only one person could enjoy.

Another reason why I would choose tickets for a concert is the fact that it would be gratis for my friends. It is very expensive to go out with friends all the time. Concerts, shows, and clubs are often very pricey. That’s why receiving a gift of money would be a perfect occasion to treat my friends to a night of free entertainment.

Furthermore, if we would go for a concert, we would have a very good time together. We could talk, dance, sing, and have fun. We could have a lot of wonderful experiences and memories to share, which would strengthen our relationship and preserve a long lasting and reliable friendship.

In conclusion, I would like to add that going to a concert with my friends it would be fun, relaxing, and exciting to do together. It would also provide us with unforgettable experiences and memories to last a lifetime. Jewelry is a more personal asset that wound help me look more elegant, beautiful, and dazzling, but it wound not bring my friends closer to me.