Urch Forums

#048: People work because they need money to live.

Erin

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone!

This is my second essay for today. I am exhausted!

I am wondering is anyone tried to give that test to the native speakers?

I think they will be surprized.

People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work? Discuss one or more of these reasons. Use specific examples and details to support your answer.

No one can argue that the main reason why people work is because they need money to live. They need a comfortable place to live and good nutritious food to support their health. But it is not true for everyone and for all the time. There are many other reasons why people work.

One of the reasons people work is self-expression. A job is a perfect place to show the whole world your own best qualities. There are groups of gifted people who work to express themselves on paper, canvas or screen. A lot of successful executers got their high positions from the desire to proof own smartness, to show everyone that they are best of all. In many cases physical deficiencies or even imaginary problems prompt person to spend their entire life for demonstration his superiority. Some people are born with a desire to manage other people. For example, woman with an innate need to enslave men can reach good results in her carrier as a top office executive. Obviously, money is not a driving force in that case, but ability to dominate.

The reasons why people work are not always so negative. Sometimes people work because they simply cannot stop working. There is a special name for them - workaholics. They like to be busy all the day. Their job represents their life priority. Workaholics are very deeply anxious about company’s success. They always come at work first in the morning and stay there till night. One my friend sometimes sleep at work, because he has stay too long and it is not reasonable to driving home for two or three hours. Without their job they feel emptiness. It is not necessary that workaholics are lonely people and jobs substitute relationships with other people. Most of them have families. But their job is more valuable for them.

Among the reasons to work it is due to mention the desire to help other people. We know many examples of unselfish work when one helps sick and disabled people. Volunteers in a libraries, at schools execute very important social mission. They help government to educate the rising generation.

Taking into account of all these facts, we may reach the conclusion that people work for many reasons and money is only one of them. People work, because they need to express themselves, show their talents, help the others and simply because they like that way of leaving.

Thanks for reading, do not hesitate to point on my mistakes,

Elena.

An Min, thank you for corrections.

I see myself that I goofed with one verb and distort meaning:

People work, because they need to express themselves, show their talents, help the others and simply because they like that way of living.

And may be this change can clarify this sentence:

For example, woman with an innate passion to enslave men can reach good results in her carrier as a top office executive.

• 9 months later...

hi :

This is my first time I post an essay here . Can you help me find my errors and give me a calification?

by the way , This site is the the best ¡¡

--------------------------------------------------------------

People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work? Discuss one or more of these reasons. Use specific examples and details to support your answer.

People can work for many reasons . One of them is to earn money. They also can work for other reasons , for example , to kill the time , to be a more prepared person and finally to know new friends .

In many cases , everywhere around the world , people only go to their jobs to kill the time . These kinds of people have many reasons to do that , one of them could be because they are so wealthy that they dont really need the money they are winning at their job . It doesn´t matter how much money they win , they don´t care about it . Actually because of their richness sometimes they dont even want to receive a cent. That is the way they are , it is simply , they just dont need money.They dont have that

necessity

Others attend to work because they are eager to win more experience and reputation.

The more they learn the better for them is . These kinds of people are making something like an invesment ; at this moment they are not worry for money but for kwnoledge. Trying to adquire the most experience they can is one of their principal goals. They are thinking mostly in the future . Rigth now they are not working for money. Money could come later when they have acquired a lot of experience . That is when they start to think that it is time to earn the money they really deserve.

Finally ,there is another kind of person . The one that attends to a job just for knowing friends . In some cases , men only work because they want to know new chicks . Work can be a great place for meeting girls , especially if you work in some kind of an agency model . They dont even work , they are just looking for new girls to hang out with.

In conclusion , there are other reasons to work besides to earn money . Some of them could be making something to kill the time , to win experience ,and even to meet new prospectus of love.

Estimated TWE score: ~3.5-4.0

Nice first start! :) Your essay has good organization.

First, do you speak Portuguese or Spanish? I notice that you say "win" a lot, when "earn" or "gain" would be correct. If you are thinking "ganhar" or "ganar," then you need to learn the differences between win, earn, and gain.

Second, please copy and paste your essay into a word processor to see your spelling and punctuation errors. Be sure to see the "sticky" post at the top of the forum about how to format your TOEFL essay.

A few comments--I think your reason "to kill time" is a bit strange. To be honest, I've never met somebody who worked just to pass the time. Have you? I know it's possible, but perhaps you should use that example last instead of first, as the first example tends to carry more weight. Also, try to avoid using possibly sexist language, such as "chicks." You may offend the reader and get a lower score.

All in all, a good first effort! :cool:

Originally posted by aioria

People can work for many reasons . One of them is to earn money. They also can work for other reasons , for example , to kill the time , to be a more prepared person and finally to know new friends .

In many cases , everywhere around the world , people only go to their jobs to kill the time . These kinds of people have many reasons to do that , one of them could be because they are so wealthy that they dont really need the money they are winning at their job . It doesn´t matter how much money they win , they don´t care about it . Actually because of their richness sometimes they dont even want to receive a cent. That is the way they are , it is simply , they just dont need money.They dont have that

necessity

Others attend to work because they are eager to win more experience and reputation.

The more they learn the better for them is . These kinds of people are making something like an invesment ; at this moment they are not worry for money but for kwnoledge. Trying to adquire the most experience they can is one of their principal goals. They are thinking mostly in the future . Rigth now they are not working for money. Money could come later when they have acquired a lot of experience . That is when they start to think that it is time to earn the money they really deserve.

Finally ,there is another kind of person . The one that attends to a job just for knowing friends . In some cases , men only work because they want to know new chicks . Work can be a great place for meeting girls , especially if you work in some kind of an agency model . They dont even work , they are just looking for new girls to hang out with.

In conclusion , there are other reasons to work besides to earn money . Some of them could be making something to kill the time , to win experience ,and even to meet new prospectus of love.

• 9 years later...

People have to work to lead a life and of course, we need money to live. Although most of people think money is the most important reasoning in work, actually there are more reasons why people work.

First of all, people cannot depend on their parents in their whole life. They have to work, accumulate their careers and enrich their lives by themselves. Even though some people do not like their jobs, working is an essential part of their lives because it allows them to have their own lives. Moreover, people need to be independent by having a job because they have to support their parents as they get older and older.

Second of all, people can be aware of their contribution to society when they work. Furthermore, they can recognize that each of them is a member of this society. It is hard to realize how people work hard for the better life before they have jobs because they do not know what working is. By working hard, people know that every single worker is an important role in this society and find out what they should do to contribute for people’ lives.

Third of all, there are a lot of kinds of jobs. Every job helps someone. When I worked as a receptionist in a hair salon, I did not even know how important my job was. My coworkers really needed me when I could not come to work. I actually underestimated the reason of my job until I knew that my job was needed. After that, I started thinking and figuring out that every job has reason.

All in all, people have to work to be independent. Furthermore, people define that individuals are important roles in this society and support each other by working. Also, thanks to hard workers, we have safe and convenient lives. I believe that these are the reasons why people work.

• 3 weeks later...

@eigo lover: I've just read your essay and here are my thoughts:

1. I think your introduction sentence is not quite clear. It almost sounds as if you were beginning with the first argument rather than giving a proper introduction. Maybe you could outline that this is in fact referring to a statement/a question and add a few lines to it.

2. To start the first body paragraph with "first of all" is fine, but as far as I know "second or third of all" doesn't exist or isn't really used in the English language. Rather go for "secondly, thirdly..."

3. The conclusion could be a little longer as well. Don't just simply repeat your arguments but show what your actual conclusion is.

According to your arguments, I think that they are reasonable and well developed. Just try to give proper examples, like you did in the third argument, and clearly seperate them from your main idea.

Hope that helps!