Urch Forums

#056: A company is going to give some money either

Erin

• 2 weeks later...

If a company is going to give some money either to support the arts or to protect the environment, I think the company should use this amount of money to protect our environment. Although to support art is going to be helpful to give more opportunities for the artists to give people pleasure, to protect the environment means a lot, because the environment needs to be protected, the company can benefit from it, and more importantly, it could provide a maintain environment for the coming generations.

Environment needs to be protected. It is so obvious now that the environment that we are living in now has been damaging in different levels. Air pollution, one of the most striking issues in the society, is threading the more and more people's lives, so is the water pollution. So, the one and only thing that is needed to be done is to protect the environment.

Companies can benefit from protect the environment in a long run. With many resource in the environment is saved because of the protection on the environment, company can buy the resources at much cheaper prices. However, the price would go up much higher due to the fact that the production of such resource is going down as the result of bad environment.

To protect the environment can be benefit throughout the generations. The protection of the environment is ultimately going to maintain a good environment through the generation. The next generation or the generation later would be much appreciated with the fact that they are living in the great environment.

To sum up, a company can protect our environment, benefit in a long run, and the most importantly give the new generation a good environment, if they spend the money to protect the environment.

A company is going to give some money either to support the arts or to protect the environment. Which do you think the company should choose? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Hi, all!

This is my essay.

Both arts and environment are important to people. While clean environment is good for our health, art brings entertainment and relax. If a company is going to give some money either to support the arts or to protect the environment, I think, in my city, Hanoi, to protect the environment is more practical.

Firstly, Hanoi is one of the biggest cities in my country with the population of three million people. However, the infrastructure is very bad. There is no subway, metro systems, and people tend to use their own automobiles. Hence the air is very stuffy and terribly polluted. Moreover, there are many factories and hospitals having no waste matter processing systems, so the water sources are also polluted. As a result, many people have respiring and digesting diseases. I am sure that if a company give money to protect the environment, people’s health will be improved.

Secondly, art is a type of science that is not easy to understand. Therefore, only few people get benefits if the company contribute money on it. Meanwhile, by building a park or growing more trees, all the people can enjoy the clean environment. In the morning, people can jog in the park, breath the fresh air. Their health will be better and the working capacity will increase.

Furthermore, giving money to protect environment, people are contributing to conserve the ecosystem. Recently, we hear about global warming, El Nino, floods everyday. It is because people are making the ecosystem unbalanced. If the environment is protected, these problem will decrease.

In conclusion, with the above advantages, the company should give money to protect the environment rather than art. It will make our common house cleaner and bring us better environment to live and to work.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks a bunch.:)

Hi ring44!

Your essay is nice, just 2 things: one, your intro is a bit too long and second, some of your sentences are illogical, for example: the price would go up much higher due to the fact that the production of such resource is going down as the result of bad environment. or So, the one and only thing that is needed to be done is to protect the environment.

Do you understand why? If no please ask. Overall, this essay is quite good. Perhaps I would give about 5.0.

Hello Tho!

Wonderful! Really good, just one minor thing: the 1st body para is about health and the 2nd one is about health too (a bit). Try to find another reason or example.

Undoubtedly I give you 6.0 :D

BTW, is art a science?

HTH! Renata

Originally posted by Vaya

Hello Tho!

Wonderful! Really good, just one minor thing: the 1st body para is about health and the 2nd one is about health too (a bit). Try to find another reason or example.

Undoubtedly I give you 6.0 :D

HTH! Renata

Thanks a lot, Renata!

You really make me feel more confident now. :)

BTW, is art a science?

Yes, social science.

A company is going to give some money either to support the arts or to protect the environment. Which do you think the company should choose? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

The issue that whether we should invest the money to environment or art if a company is going to give some money has been debated among the people in our city. It is an important issue because it concerns how we can keep public’s benefit in the long term. Basing on my knowledge, I contend that the protection of environment has the higher priority.

It may be claimed that arts reflect the cultures and customs of our nation. The arts carry our nation’s sprit and traditions. However, as the environmentalist indicates that air pollution from car emission is a serious problem in our city. In our city, Toronto Canada, there are more than 1.5 million cars. You can feel the stuffy air when you stand the main street in the peak traffic time. In fact, in this summer, the government began announcing the alarm of smug.

Another problem in our city is how to prevent the water resource from pollution. Most people must remember the accident in Watertown, Ontario in 2000. Five people died, more than hundreds of people got sick due to the polluted drinking system. In the world, there is nothing more precious than the human lives. Even one year after the accident, the people in Watertown are scared to drink the type water. They have to buy mineral water or spring water. The pollution is not only the killer of our lives but also cases the shade on our normal life.

In additional, the clear, beautiful and peaceful environment is the most precious art in the world. Imaging a world with flowers, clear air, huge forest and the singing of the birds, it is not only a art, but also a peaceful art in our soul that let us relax and have a deep breath.

In conclusion, people should spend money and effect to improve our environment. Without a perfect environment, how you could have the mood to appreciate the arts?

Thanks for your comments.

I agree with your point that some of the sentences don't sound very logic to the reader, because of the long length which is supposed to be broken down into two or three sentense. I think the best way to fix such problem is to write couple of more sentenses to make my point clear to the reader.

Also, I will try to make the intro no more than three sentense long.

Finally, I really apprciate your point. Hopefully, I get the similiar TWE score on tomorrow's exam.

• 7 months later...

This is my first TOEFL essay that has more than 300 words in it and was written in 30 minutes. I made 5 spelling errors, one error with an article and one terrible grammar error.

Please, comment on my essay.

==================

If I were to choose between supporting the arts and protecting the environment I would definetly choose to protect the environment. I think that there is a urgent need in protecting the environment that outweights the benefits of supporting the arts.

The environment is going worse and worse. I think that the sooner people will begin to fund the protection of the environment the less damaging consequences will face the future generations. On the other hand there is no urgent need in supporting the arts.

I think that there is no need in investing much money in the arts. The development of the arts doesn't depend on the money. The art was always dependent on the talents of people who create masterpieces not of the love of money, but of the love of the art. I can give many examples of artists who didn't recieve much money for their works, but whose works are still adored after the passage of the centuries. People will always appreciate the arts and pay much money to buy a masterpiece. Thus, I think that the development of art doesn't depend on money and doesn't need much financial support. On the other hand the protection of the environment is not directly funded.

I also think that if the company gives money to protect the environment, its popularity will grow substancially. Many people are concerned with the environment much more than with the arts. It is understandable because the environment influences the quality of life in the region. If the company gives the money to protect the environment it will soon become very popular and so will its products.

The protection of the environment is not funded sufficiently. Giving the money to protect the environment will be very beneficial as well as will increase the popularity of the company. For this reasons I think that it will be better for the company and for the people if the company gives money to protect the environment.

====

wordcount:329

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY COMMENT ON MY ESSAY!!!!!!!

If i were to decide whether to give the money to support the arts or to protect the enviromemnt, i would chose to give the money for latter cause. There are various reason why companies must bother about the latter. I provide following reasons for my choice.

First of all, the problem of the enviroment is most persistent problem that needs more attention than other problems. And, companies are more than one way responsible for damaging the environment. Thus it is in fact the responsibility of all compnaies to leave no stone unturned in minimizing this damage. Even though there are governemnt rules which force the companies to employ all measures to check the pollution, further attempts from the companies are always welcome.

Also, if we look from the companies point of view it is benefitial for compnay to give the money for protecting the enviroment. It is expected that companies expect benefits for the money donated for the cause. By dontaing to solve the problems, for which they are responsible, companies can increase their popularity among the consumers.

Finally, By dontaing the money to protect the enviroment, compnies can help to solve the most persitent problem, which need more attention, as well increase their popularity among the custmoers, which will eventually benefit them.