Sponsored Ad:

Thread: #054: One should never judge a person by external

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One should never judge a person by external appearances. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Please let me know my estimated scores:
    #054: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One should never judge a person by external appearances. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Judging a person by external appearances is not a wise thing to do. One should never judge a person by external appearances. I fully agree with this statement.

Appearances can be deceptive. Many a times it does happen that the outer side or appearance of a person really charms. This is as good as living in a fool’s paradise because a person with a charming exterior may not always be good at heart. On the other hand, if a person is all in tatters, it may not necessarily mean that he is poor and a simpleton. It could be that due to certain circumstances his condition is such otherwise who knows…he could even be an intellectual!

Shakespeare has very rightly said – “All that glitters is not gold.” If one seems to be polished due to external appearances, it is just that he “seems” to be so! Infact, the person could be a real dud! It is a well – known fact that everything that gleams is not necessarily gold. Similarly, the person whose external appearance is mesmerizing might not be worth the praise that he may get due to his outer appearance.

Judging a person by external appearance is quite similar to judging a book by its cover…ignoring the inside …the contents that are the actual worth of the book! It could be that an intellectual is disregarded due to his shabby appearance, as aforementioned. On the contrary, a cunning person who ‘appears’ to be simple could deceive one!

External appearances are usually fake. People put on a masque to hide their weaknesses. It is this masque that deceives the whole world!
    Thus, judging a person through external appearances is not a wise judgment. On must always look for the true worth of a person ignoring the exteriors. Judging by external appearances is as good as fooling oneself.

Love
    Avni....

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello Avni,

I must say that I really liked your essay. You had some nice ideas to support your statement and your vocabulary is rich. The essay has a lot more than 250 words. I wonder if to wrote it in 30 minutes... ? If so, you have big chances to take a 6 at the essay.

But I have to make a little observation...
    Maybe the conclusion should it be shorter. What I mean is that you repeat the same idea. I think you wanted to write more on the conclusion and you made it worse.

Also,
    1. I don't know if 'many a times' is correct
    2. Maybe you sould rephrase 'It could be that due to certain circumstances his condition is such otherwise who knows…he could even be an intellectual!'...
    3. 'Shakespeare has very rightly said' - i think 'Shakespeare very rightly said' because he said it a long time ago
    4. 'If one seems to due to external appearances, it is just that he “seems” to be so!' - i don't understand what you mean

I hope you don't mind for trying to comment on your essay.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thank you and i agree with your points.
    I did take around 40 minutes for this essay.
    Maybe the conclusion should it be shorter. What I mean is that you repeat the same idea. I think you wanted to write more on the conclusion and you made it worse.
    I don't think so!..may be you got a lil confused..On should be "ONE".
    If you think that this concl. is not upto the mark ,por favor, el señor give me some suggestions.I think its not good but it will work...but I want to write a good concl.

4. 'If one seems to due to external appearances, it is just that he “seems” to be so!' - i don't understand what you mean

If one seems to be polished due to external appearances, it is just that he “seems” to be so!
    I mean to say..that he just appears to be polished...but actually...he's not!Its just his good clothes,etc. that make him look polished.I hope this explanatuon is sufficient!

No,i don't mind at all...After all,I'll learn from my mistakes!
    Love
    Avni...

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi all,
    Could you please have a look at this stuff. I've got my exam on the 2nd of Dec
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last two centuries, the level or urbanization of population has raised, people beeing subject to an ever incresing interaction with other in crowded cities. This led to the development of unwritten rules for communication and interaction in society.
    I support the idea of judging people by the way they decide to present themselves.

In history, evolution forced animals to adapt to the ambient. In order to survive, animals needed to adapt to the changing conditions of the enviromment, the most succesfull being the suvivors. Today, biological studies about beauty show that a person is percived as being beautyfull when hisher face and body has a strong simetry. Also, the studies have shown that a person with 'symetric' body has a lower level of genetic inheritied diseases. Therefore, the more beautiful, the better adapted for survival.

In addition, today, fashion is part of common life. A person dressed, let's say, extravagant, might not be accepted by others, at work and out of work. With an increased number of women in the workforce, therefore, in higher management positions, it is important to find a common, non verbal language. If the women are more pragmatic, the men will, eventually, become more concerned with the messeages their personal appearance sends.

While the debate is far from over, the points presented reinforce what we all know.
    You have only one chance to make a good first impresion.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi,

What do you think of my essay below, this is my first essay and i have my exam on Nov 27th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Though it is very much in human nature to form an opinion about a person based on what they see, I believe that we should restrain ourselves from doing so. Many a times it might be possible that without knowing a person we form an opinion based on what we see but once we know the person we might realize how baseless some of our opinions were.

People tend to form opinions on almost everyone around them , right from their favorite movie star to their colleague in the office without even having interacted with them. For example Mr. Bill Gates on his recent visit to India, has announced huge help to the aids programs, e-governance, and improving education by computer usage. Now if one starts thinking all this is philanthropy that’s wrong. We have numerous articles in our magazines here which talk about the ulterior motives of promoting the Windows market in the government organizations who have huge requirement for computers. Thus one should not go just by what sees. There might be ulterior motives which the actions do not disclose.

As another example, assuming you didn’t read anything about Mother Teresa and havent ever seen her photograph. Now if some one shows you her photograph what would be your opinion about her. Would you think of her as a country side woman based on the simple attire that she is in.

Wouldn’t it be much easier if your new boss didn’t already make an opinion about you (based on the way you dressed that day), before you even had a chance of saying ‘Hi’. Thus I believe that one should not judge people based on what they see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Amulya

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Amulya,

From reading your essay, I feel that you have a much potential to become a good essay writer. Your style of writing is simple, and lucid. Your examples to support your case are quite convincing too.

However, after spending a considerable amount of time on Bill Gates paragraph, you have only superficially dealt with the paragraph about Mother Teresa and the conclusion. Is this because you were running out of time ? Even the language is substandard compared to the introduction and the second paragraph.

If I were to grade the essay solely based on the first two paragraphs, I would have little hesitation in awarding you a 6. However, I would have no option but to mark you down for the lack of consistency in the last two paragraphs.

HTH
    AmigoRo

Originally posted by amulya

Hi,

What do you think of my essay below, this is my first essay and i have my exam on Nov 27th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Though it is very much in human nature to form an opinion about a person based on what they see, I believe that we should restrain ourselves from doing so. Many a times it might be possible that without knowing a person we form an opinion based on what we see but once we know the person we might realize how baseless some of our opinions were.

People tend to form opinions on almost everyone around them , right from their favorite movie star to their colleague in the office without even having interacted with them. For example Mr. Bill Gates on his recent visit to India, has announced huge help to the aids programs, e-governance, and improving education by computer usage. Now if one starts thinking all this is philanthropy that’s wrong. We have numerous articles in our magazines here which talk about the ulterior motives of promoting the Windows market in the government organizations who have huge requirement for computers. Thus one should not go just by what sees. There might be ulterior motives which the actions do not disclose.

As another example, assuming you didn’t read anything about Mother Teresa and havent ever seen her photograph. Now if some one shows you her photograph what would be your opinion about her. Would you think of her as a country side woman based on the simple attire that she is in.

Wouldn’t it be much easier if your new boss didn’t already make an opinion about you (based on the way you dressed that day), before you even had a chance of saying ‘Hi’. Thus I believe that one should not judge people based on what they see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Amulya

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    cp10,

Your points are strong. You have opened the can of worms that is sociobiology, by bringing aspects into the issue, but you have done this well.

However, you have made, some careless errors in your writing. I have no knowledge about your background, and how well versed you are with the language, but judging from your writing I feel that your English must be fluent. Thus, I feel that your mistakes are acts of omission than of commision. I apologise if I you feel that am being presumptuous.

HTH,
    AmigoRo
    Originally posted by cpt10

Hi all,
    Could you please have a look at this stuff. I've got my exam on the 2nd of Dec
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last two centuries, the level or urbanization of population has raisedrisen/increased, people beeing subject to an ever increasing interaction with others in crowded cities. This led to the development of unwritten rules for communication and interaction in society.
    I support the idea of judging people by the way they decide to present themselves. This sentence jumps at you from out of nowhere
    In history, evolution forced animals to adapt to the ambient ambient is an adjective. In order to survive, animals needed to adapt to the changing conditions of the enviromment, the most succesfull being the suvivors. Today, biological studies about beauty show that a person is percived as being beautyfull when hisher face and body has a strong simetrysymmetry. Also, the studies have shown that a person with 'symetric'symmetric body has a lower level of genetic inheritied inhertited redundant diseases. Therefore, the more beautiful, the better adapted for survival.

In addition, today, fashion is part of common life. A person dressed, let's say, extravagantly, might not be accepted by others, at work and out of work. With an increased number of women in the workforce, therefore, in higher management positions, it is important to find a common, non verbal language Longwinded sentence. If the women are more pragmatic, the men will, eventually, become more concerned with the messeages their personal appearance sends.

While the debate is far from over, the points presented reinforce what we all know.
    You have only one chance to make a good first impresion.
    The conclusion is poor. The last sentence, like the one I encountered earlier, jumps at you suddenly.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello AmigoRo,

Thank you very much for reviewing my essay.
    You have a valid point with the mistakes I made. I need to pay more attention to grammar.
    When I revied my essay, I makred it as 4, since I do not have, say, the standard 3 examples.
    My background is engineering.
    I have a lot of trouble with good introductions and endings, I know.
    I shall try to post another essay other the weekend, maybe I do better.
    Thank you for feedback.

Cheers.

Good post? Yes | No

Can you please evaluate my essay cause my exam is very soon.
    Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One should never judge a person by external appearances. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

External appearance is the outer shell of a person. There is an advice that tells you never to be/get fooled by appearances. Why does people say so? Allow me to show you why should we never judge a person by external appearances.

For many reasons we should never judge a person by external appearances. First, because good looking is a gift given to a person by God so I have no choice over how my shape looks. And because God is very just, he compensated the not very good looking of a person with an inner beauty. So always look for the inner beauty of a person not the outer beauties. Moreover, judging should not be evaluated from the first meeting where every person shows the good part in him, where everything is just appearances. On the contrary, adequate and well judging should be evaluated over a long period of time through daily interactions to see how a person behaves when he is happy, sad or angry. Only through interactions and situations that a person is seen who he really is. Many other aspects should be considered when judging a person other than appearances.

In conclusion, we must judge people correctly and in order to do so we must look at the inner core of a person not at the external appearances.

Thread Information