Urch Forums

#175: Some students like classes where teachers le

Hinda

Hi Everybody!!!:)

Here is my essay, please read it because i

would like to hear your views.

I perfer that the students do some of the talking just for the simple fact that we are all different and we use various learning styles depping on which multiple intelligence we are.

There are seven multiple intelligences.

1) Linguistic intelligence:- People who have the ability to think whit word and use the language to express their thoughts. ( as in a writer, poet and journalist)

2) Logical-matematical intelligence:- People who have the ability to think logic and solve mathematical and scientific problems. ( as in a mathematics and scientist)

3) Bodily kinesthetic intelligence:- People who have the ability to use their bodies and hands more then the average person. ( as in a athlete, dancer, surgeon and craftsman)

4) visual spatial intelligence:- People who have the ability to think whit images and aprehend and create something out of image. ( as in a painter, architect and pilot)

5) Musical intelligence:- People who have the ability to aprehend high pitch and rhytm. ( as in a musicain and composer)

6) Interpersonal intelliegnce:- People who have the ability to understand and esamble others. ( as in a teacher, salesman, priest, politician and socail worker)

7) Intrapersonal intelligence:- People who understand them selves well enough to know what is behind the mask. ( as in a philosopher, psychologist, actor and writer)

More or less we use all seven intelligences.

Three of them are chracterized as learning styles such as linguistic intelligence, bodily kinesthetic intelligence and visual spatial intelligence.

This because we observe information differently, some observe it by hearing, some perfer to read the concep to learn it, while others need to be practical like touch something.

They made a study in a upper middle school in Sweden. The purpose of the study was to see if the students acievements got better if they were given the opportunity to work on their learning style compared to traditional teaching. They were given difficult subjects.

The result of the study was that the acievements of those students who worked on their learning style was much better then those students taught through traditional teaching.

Whit this in mind i think that teaching should be on the students terms. Every student should work on their learning style to improve their academic acievements.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hinda,

I’m new too :o and this is the first time I try to comment on another person’s writing. Do not take my personal opinion so serious:p. Your essay made me feel that I was reading a dictionary or a textbook rather than an academic essay. It appears to lack of coordination among different ideas. Besides, in your sentence, “They made a study in a upper middle school in Sweden.”, I couldn’t find who they are. Despite the above, I was really impressed with your profound knowledge that proved that u r a very intelligent girl.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi Hinda:),

I am writing because No.175 was the topic I had when I took the TOEFL a month ago.It was rated 4.0.I think this essay is from the preference type and therefore both views should be developed and then contrasted,nevertheless you should stress on your own opinion.That is what I've been taught.And the most important thing is to give an example from your school experience.For example when a teacher allowed you to present the topic to the class or discuss it with one another and as a result you learned the topic better.That is what I think for that topic.Your essay is very good for a home assignment but since time is concerned in TOEFL you have no time to state,develop and defend several reasons.

Good luck on your TOEFL!

Hi everybody

I am taking toefl exam on jan 31, 03 (i.e., in 2 days). somebody please give your comments on my essay writing.

i wrote this essay in exactly 30 mts. i should be faster i guess.

I want to know about the following size, intro, appraoch , content, conclusion etc

looking forward to your comments .........

Thanks

Anitha

Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all of the talking) in class. Other students prefer classes where the students do some of the talking. Which type of class do you prefer? Give specific reasons and details to support your choice.

Depending on the teacher, the subject and various other factors such as the size of the class, the time available etc there are different ways of teaching. One of the ways is where the teacher gives a lecture without any student interaction and another way of teaching is where the students also participate by discussion or by asking questions. I prefer the type of teaching where a student is allowed to talk..

The lecture has its own advantages and disadvantages. The teacher can cover a lot of subject in a less amount of time. The class will be quiet and students can concentrate better. The teacher is not diverted from the main topic. On the other hand, students may feel bored listening to the monotonous tone of the teacher and may not grasp and retain what is being taught.

An interactive kind of teaching allows the students to express themselves. They are allowed to add their thoughts to the subject being taught. The can raise any questions and doubts they have, immediately in the class. For example a student may not understand a word that the teacher uses very frequently in the class. If he is allowed to talk during the class then he will be able to clear his doubt and can understand the rest of the teaching otherwise he will not understand anything.

The interactive class is interesting and also helps the shy students to slowly come out of their shyness and participate in the discussions instead of being passive listeners. Also the teacher gets an idea at which level of understanding the students are, in regard to the subject and can change the standard of teaching.

In my opinion the kind of teaching in which the student is allowed to talk, is more efficient and helpful to the student because the student can understand and retain more by active participation rather than passive listening.

Hi Anitha.

Don't worry about anything.You have got the topic right.To me,it deserves an excellent mark.

First you have two sentences of introductory words going from general to specific.Then you state your thesis clearly.That makes the perfect introduction.

In the first paragraph of the body you contrast both views and give reasons and details.I would say it would be better if you gave an example from your experience in addition to the details in order to clarify how you came to have that opinion.But since there is no special requirement for examples in the essay directions they are not that crucial.

The second paragraph is reasonably devoted entirely to your attitude.You present reasons(to ask questions and discuss the topic).

I believe the third paragraph is the best.The two reasons you stated are of great importance,but they are often forgotten and it is a bonus to remind your readers of them( shyness which can be overcome that way and the feedback for the teacher)

For the conclusion I think you should restate your thesis in other words in one sentence.In the next one or two sentences you can summarize your reasons and then end with a phrase to catch eye with.

I suppose in the end you were running out of time and could not develop the conclusion as good.But it is still very good.

I am sure you will do your essay and wish you good luck on the other sections as well!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Maryanitha

Your essay was really good, far more better then mine.

It had alot of good points and you talk about different

things about school, anyways you discuss important views.

EVERYBODY!!

This was was my first essay that i posted here, so we all have to

start some where dont we.

Whit practice i can get alot better.

Gardol, thanks for the advise.

Thanks to you all, i appriciate all your views.

Hinda

• 9 months later...

Hello everybody! I'm new here, so this is my first post. I decided spontaneously (last week) to take the TOEFL (next week!:p!:(!), and have started writing essays today... please let me know what you think!

Here's one... took me about 20 minutes, so there's plenty of time left to put in your corrections :D

I prefer classes where students do some of the talking. A main reason for this is my own experience; I am one of those students who find it very difficult to listen to one person for a long time, particularly when there are little breaks and no discussions or multimedia presentations. A teacher who is talking throughout the lesson will most likely lose my attention after approximately twenty minutes even if he is really good, and even though I try hard to listen. This is different when the topic is presented by more than just one person. The simple fact that there is another voice presenting the topic, and another face to be connected with the new voice, makes it more interesting.

Apart from this personal preference, there are other factors which are important for all students in a class. When they have to take part in the lesson and do their own talks and presentations, they are forced to not just listen or copy what is written on the blackboard, but to really work on the topic themselves. That way, they have to know at least part of the subject well enough to present it to the class, and are thus (mostly) able to present the same subject to a teacher in an examination. I have known one teacher who used to start an oral examination by asking about the topic we had presented in a seminar, giving us the opportunity to both show ourselves from the best side and be sure to have the best possible start into the examination.

Another positive effect is the practice of presenting facts to an audience. Since I have only twice had to do this in my secondary school, it was quite a difficult matter to get acquainted with at university. However, I have realised that practicing talks in front of a familiar audience, like a class, and answering their questons, does help you to get more self-confident and professional. This can later be extremely helpful in examinations, in application procedures, and in business meetings. You can also learn from mistakes others make, and from things they do much better than you, like their layout, their posture and mimics, or the structure of their presentation.

However, I have made the experience that some very complex topics might be better presented by the lecturer or teacher himself. Giving them to students can make the lesson incomplete and thus unsatisfying, since much more time would be needed for preparations and explanations than the usual seminar schedule allows. The other possibility would be to give the topic to a group of students, who are then obliged to work together to present the topic as a whole. But this rarely works; it asks a lot of discipline and ability to communicate from the students, and if one in five fails in that, the whole class is left with gaps or unnecessary repetitions that may be more confusing than helpful.

Hi, tiggerwoman! I liked this one. To be more precise, I liked the ideas, the content, but not the form. [xx(]

First of all, there is no introduction. You need to start with the general statement, like such: Some students (and teachers) prefer lectures, which could be very interesting.

Now you should state your opinion: I would choose a class where students do some of the talking.

At this point you must introduse a couple of sentences (or one well developed sentence), supporting your oppinion: Finding it difficult to concentrate on one person for a long time, I'd rather participate in the discussion.

There you have your introduction!!![bounce]

The body of the essay is OK. But where is the conclusion?!! Instead of it you oppose your initial point of view. If I were you, I'd cut out the last para. you simply don't need it, you have enough of supporting ideas. Write a conclusion instead. Restate your opinion and supporting ideas. Here is my rough version of one:

Though some lectures where the teacher does all the talking might be very interesting, personally, I believe that it is more educational and even entertaining for the students to participate in the debate. Such an experience would be very helpful for the exams and could make you feel more confident and professional. (All the ideas are yours, I 've just arrenged them into a conclusion.:o).

I wish you good luck with your test. Hope to hear from you later.

Hi Tanya! Thanks a lot for the comment!

Hmmm. I agree about the form. I have always hated introductions and conclusions, and I always will... and I guess you can see that it was the first essay I have written in almost 6 years :yuck:

I do not understand the phrase you suggest as a general statement (Some students (and teachers) prefer lectures, which could be very interesting.); it doesn't really make any sense to me.

Can you explain what you meant?

Everything else has been very helpful :D

• 1 month later...

Wow, I love your essay...

I hate that introduction, body, conclusion thing too! My first essay was also like that (no "form") - until I was told to do it the "proper" way.

I took the TOEFL test last Friday, by the way, I tried to do it their way, but my ideas just don't flow easily when there is "structure" to follow. I'll get my score in 2 weeks, I have no idea of my ESSAY score, though... so maybe I am not the best person to help others.

Your essay, however, was the best one I read so far. I could not spot any grammar/structure mistakes (not that I am a super-wirter, but I have studied English for years, lived in the States and taught it to little ones).

Anyway, you write so well and in such short time, you would definetely get a super high mark. Practice the damn strucure, so you will be able to flow your ideas like that too!

Have you already taken the test? If so, you might not even see this message... if you did take it (and luckly still checks these messages), what was your score?

Good job again!!

Manu

Originally posted by tiggerwoman

Hi Tanya! Thanks a lot for the comment!

Hmmm. I agree about the form. I have always hated introductions and conclusions, and I always will... and I guess you can see that it was the first essay I have written in almost 6 years :yuck:

I do not understand the phrase you suggest as a general statement (Some students (and teachers) prefer lectures, which could be very interesting.); it doesn't really make any sense to me.

Can you explain what you meant?

Everything else has been very helpful :D

Hi Manu!

Originally posted by manuzinha

Wow, I love your essay...

I hate that introduction, body, conclusion thing too! My first essay was also like that (no "form") - until I was told to do it the "proper" way.

I took the TOEFL test last Friday, by the way, I tried to do it their way, but my ideas just don't flow easily when there is "structure" to follow. I'll get my score in 2 weeks, I have no idea of my ESSAY score, though... so maybe I am not the best person to help others.

Thanks a lot for the compliments!

I've found that I could write an essay in the "standard" form if I started with the body, and THEN added the conclusion and THEN (once I knew what the essay was about) the intro :D

I'm sure you're a good person to help, since the way you write is good :)

I've already had the test, and the essay was a 6 :D I don't remember what I wrote though, exam questions have a habit of disappearing from my mind the moment I leave the room :D

And yes, I'm still around here from time to time, since I have to work a lot on the computer these days and use my breaks to try and help with some grammar problems. I'm bad at correcting essays though I think... I probably correct either every detail or be much too nice.

So... thanks a lot, and I'm sure your essay score will be great!

Anitha,

I am new here... it is my first post... :)

I read your essay, and I am sure you did great on your TOEFL exam... it was very organized. Definitely when writing it you focused on the main topic.

Melissa.

Originally posted by maryanitha

Hi everybody

I am taking TOEFL exam on jan 31, 03 (i.e., in 2 days). somebody please give your comments on my essay writing.

i wrote this essay in exactly 30 mts. I should be faster I guess.

I want to know about the following size, intro, appraoch , content, conclusion etc

looking forward to your comments .........

Thanks

Anitha

Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all of the talking) in class. Other students prefer classes where the students do some of the talking. Which type of class do you prefer? Give specific reasons and details to support your choice.

Depending on the teacher, the subject and various other factors such as the size of the class, the time available etc there are different ways of teaching. One of the ways is where the teacher gives a lecture without any student interaction and another way of teaching is where the students also participate by discussion or by asking questions. I prefer the type of teaching where a student is allowed to talk..

The lecture has its own advantages and disadvantages. The teacher can cover a lot of subject in a less amount of time. The class will be quiet and students can concentrate better. The teacher is not diverted from the main topic. On the other hand, students may feel bored listening to the monotonous tone of the teacher and may not grasp and retain what is being taught.

An interactive kind of teaching allows the students to express themselves. They are allowed to add their thoughts to the subject being taught. The can raise any questions and doubts they have, immediately in the class. For example a student may not understand a word that the teacher uses very frequently in the class. If he is allowed to talk during the class then he will be able to clear his doubt and can understand the rest of the teaching otherwise he will not understand anything.

The interactive class is interesting and also helps the shy students to slowly come out of their shyness and participate in the discussions instead of being passive listeners. Also the teacher gets an idea at which level of understanding the students are, in regard to the subject and can change the standard of teaching.

In my opinion the kind of teaching in which the student is allowed to talk, is more efficient and helpful to the student because the student can understand and retain more by active participation rather than passive listening.