Urch Forums

#064: Some people prefer to work for themselves or

Erin

• 8 months later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

Some people prefer to work for themselves or own a business. Others prefer to work for an employer. Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else, or own a business? Use specific reasons to explain your choice.

"I came across a junction with two roads, one is trampled upon. I chose the less beaten one", or so goes a famous adage.

If there is one thing that the realm of Information Technology (IT) makes possible, it is entrepreneurship: the abillity to dream and the tools and means to convert those dreams into a reality. There was a time when one couldn't even imagine opening a business without first having to arrange a huge capital. Gone are those days. IT is fast changing that landscape. All that is needed now is a good business vision and a will to reach that vision. Hailing from an IT background, it is my desire to launch my own startup after I am done with my studies.

The road to entrepreneurship is not without its risks and perils, but the rewards waiting at the destination are equally luscious. One one hand, there is the risk of losing it all, but on the other hand there is the possibility of becoming another Bill Gates or Larry Alison. These enterprising personas choose not to be a part of the existing system, but rather decided to undertake the perilous journey on the less beaten road. Where they stand today can be easily seen.

A self-owned business offers one numerous opportunities to excel and surpass others. First of all, it gives one the creative space to follow ones vision and to carve out that vision in real life. Second, it provides an innate motivation to use one's potentials to the maximum. When one is working for another entity, one might observe a certain impersonal attitude prevailing in one's self. No matter how high you climb up the ladder in that company, a foreign company will never have that feeling of being something something personal. A self-owned business gives an individual that satisfaction. It is the search for this creative space and this feeling of possessiveness that compels me to choose this road.

To boldly go where no one has gone before. It was this desire that originally led me to undertake a bachelors in computer engineering. It has been my motivating spirit throughout my undergraduate studies: to one day apply the knowledge I am acquiring in starting my own IT business. When I entered this field, my view of the field of IT was narrow, the horizons nebulous. But four years later, I feel that I have come a long way since that first fall semester. The experience has taught me how to take calculated risks, how to meet deadlines, and how to work in a team. All these skills would indeed prove valuable if I were to set up my own business.

It will be still be a while before I embark upon my dream, but now I have the knowledge and confidence to undertake that journey. There is no end to learning and it is with this desire that I wish you pursue my graduate studies first. I believe that a solid technical base and good credentials would go a long way in helping me reach the ultimate goal that I have set for myself.

There are people who would prefer to go the easy way: join a company, never having to worry again. Yet again, there are people who would dare to venture in unchartered waters. I believe that I belong to the latter category. I could never satisfy my passion for entrepreneurship by working for another company. It is to quelch this thirst that I would rather set up my own business.

Hi

I am giving TOEFL tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Regards,

Ali

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by flounder

Originally posted by Erin Billy

Some people prefer to work for themselves or own a business. Others prefer to work for an employer. Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else, or own a business? Use specific reasons to explain your choice.

"I came across a junction with two roads, one is trampled upon. I chose the less beaten one", or so goes a famous adage.

If there is one thing that the realm of Information Technology (IT) makes possible, it is entrepreneurship: the abillity to dream and the tools and means to convert those dreams into a reality. There was a time when one couldn't even imagine opening a business without first having to arrange a huge capital. Gone are those days. IT is fast changing that landscape. All that is needed now is a good business vision and a will to reach that vision. Hailing from an IT background, it is my desire to launch my own startup after I am done with my studies.

The road to entrepreneurship is not without its risks and perils, but the rewards waiting at the destination are equally luscious. One one hand, there is the risk of losing it all, but on the other hand there is the possibility of becoming another Bill Gates or Larry Alison. These enterprising personas choose not to be a part of the existing system, but rather decided to undertake the perilous journey on the less beaten road. Where they stand today can be easily seen.

A self-owned business offers one numerous opportunities to excel and surpass others. First of all, it gives one the creative space to follow ones vision and to carve out that vision in real life. Second, it provides an innate motivation to use one's potentials to the maximum. When one is working for another entity, one might observe a certain impersonal attitude prevailing in one's self. No matter how high you climb up the ladder in that company, a foreign company will never have that feeling of being something something personal. A self-owned business gives an individual that satisfaction. It is the search for this creative space and this feeling of possessiveness that compels me to choose this road.

To boldly go where no one has gone before. It was this desire that originally led me to undertake a bachelors in computer engineering. It has been my motivating spirit throughout my undergraduate studies: to one day apply the knowledge I am acquiring in starting my own IT business. When I entered this field, my view of the field of IT was narrow, the horizons nebulous. But four years later, I feel that I have come a long way since that first fall semester. The experience has taught me how to take calculated risks, how to meet deadlines, and how to work in a team. All these skills would indeed prove valuable if I were to set up my own business.

It will be still be a while before I embark upon my dream, but now I have the knowledge and confidence to undertake that journey. There is no end to learning and it is with this desire that I wish you pursue my graduate studies first. I believe that a solid technical base and good credentials would go a long way in helping me reach the ultimate goal that I have set for myself.

There are people who would prefer to go the easy way: join a company, never having to worry again. Yet again, there are people who would dare to venture in unchartered waters. I believe that I belong to the latter category. I could never satisfy my passion for entrepreneurship by working for another company. It is to quelch this thirst that I would rather set up my own business.

Hi

I am giving TOEFL tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Regards,

Ali

64. Some people prefer to work for themselves or own a business . Others prefer to work for an employer . Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else , or own a business ? Use specific reasons to explain your choice.

Working for themselves or for an employer depends on individuals and also on situations. This is clearly explained as follows. Each individual differs from other in many aspects. Depending on his/her wish, preferences and mentality he/she works for themselves or for someone else. Situations in which individuals are involved also have their effect. An individual , for example , wants to start some new business. However due to financial problems or some other problems he/she may be forced to work for an employer. Both these have their own benefits and drawbacks.

The benefits of working for someone else are following. Firstly, we can gain experience by working for others. This is very helpful when they later started their own business.

Before starting a new business what matters is not one can be successful or fail in that one but it is the one whether he/she has some past experience or full knowledge about it. This is the reason for which all employers will ask the candidates in the interview whether they had any past experience or not. Secondly, it teaches how to work for others. This is important because all cannot work for others. Moreover it also provides a way to see how the employers are making decisions ,what errors they are doing ,how they are behaving with their superiors as well as with their sub-ordinates. Drawbacks of this are we have to work in a monotonic way and cannot use new methods unless the approval of employer.

The benefits of self-employing are: Firstly, we ourselves provide employment to lot of people which gives abundant spiritual satisfaction. Secondly ,we can follow any method or technology we wish as we are the bosses. Main drawback of this is if we make one wrong decision it can affect the lives of hundreds of others. Furthermore , one should be fully aware of all risks associated with it. And also should be able to face both rises and falls with same courage.

In summing, I would prefer to work for an employer initially and later prefer to own a business. As one cannot lead a life as he/she thinks , it all depends on the individuals and the situation they are facing.