Urch Forums

#072: Grades (marks) encourage students to learn.

Erin

It's obviously right that all the students, would be very happy to get good grades so in my opinions, it's very right for me to say grades encourage students to learn.

I recall my first English lesson was very intersting. When I was 13 years old, my father sent me to an English class. I was the youngest pupil in the class. The teacher asked me to write something about my hobbies, and I wrote about my dear cat, she gave me a good mark with the comment that: "Your made a good essay, it is clear and lively" I was so happy and at that moment, I thought that I was not bad at English, then naturely, English became my favourit subject at school.

It was the story at the primary school, at present, teachersdo not give many marks in University anymore. We only get final grades a semester, and that grade tells students how good and how hard did they work last semester. Normally, all the students expect to get good grades because with good grades they can have a good diploma after graduation, they can apply for the higher programmes easier and further on, it is also useful to find a suitable job.

However, it is not only getting good grades which encourages students to learn. If a student learnt hard just for getting a good grade he would never become an excellent student indeed. It is important to learn to achieve good grades in the University but it is more important to learn how to except the bad grades. In a letter written by Abraham Lincoln to the Headmaster of a school in which his son was studying, he wrote" In school, teach him it is far more honorable to fall than to cheat..... Teach to have faith in his own ideas, even if everyone tells him he is wrong" So I think, becoming a good person is far more important than becoming just a good grades collector.

Finally, as soon as being a student, in my point of view, good grades really help to encourage student to learn, but to be successful in life, to be happy let learn and work with the sound of your heart.

It's obviously right that all the students, would be very happy to get good grades so in my opinions, it's very right for me to say grades encourage students to learn.

I recall my first English lesson was very intersting. When I was 13 years old, my father sent me to an English class. I was the youngest pupil in the class. The teacher asked me to write something about my hobbies, and I wrote about my dear cat, she gave me a good mark with the comment that: "You made a good essay, it was clear and lively" I was so happy and at that moment, I thought that I was not bad at English, then naturely, English became my favourit subject at school.

It was the story at the primary school, at present, teachers do not give many marks in University anymore. We only get final grades a semester, and that grade tells students how good and how hard did they work last semester. Normally, all the students expect to get good grades because with good grades they can have a good diploma after graduation, they can apply for the higher programmes easilier and further on, it is also useful to find a suitable job.

However, it is not only getting good grades which encourages students to learn. If a student learnt hard just for getting a good grade he would never become an excellent student indeed. It is important to learn to achieve good grades in the University but it is more important to learn how to except the bad grades. In a letter written by Abraham Lincoln to the Headmaster of a school in which his son was studying, he wrote" In school, teach him it is far more honorable to fall than to cheat..... Teach to have faith in his own ideas, even if everyone tells him he is wrong" So I think, becoming a good person is far more important than becoming just a good grades collector.

Finally, as soon as being a student, in my point of view, good grades really help to encourage student to learn, but to be successful in life, to be happy let learn and work with the sound of your heart

(just have corrected some of the errors, by the way, may I ask that: we don't have edit functions here, do we? ) I going to take the Toefl test in couple of months so I am pretty excited at the moment. Thanks god I know the TestMagic, it is a really fantastic website.

I wish you all a very good day.

Hello again,

This is much, much better than the other one. It arose my interest, you told me things that went to my soul and mind. As you said "it was clear and lively". Good work and keep it going on that way.:cool:

Try as much as essay writing as you can. some topics don't like you, and you can't make a good essay. That happened to me. My Toefl essay was on a topic that I payed little attention to. And I am dissapointed because I failed to write an interesting and vivid one. :(

But you won't make the same mistake, won't you?

GOOD LUCK!!!

Originally posted by Erin Billy

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Whether grades could encourage students to learn has been argued for a while. There are varity of arguments among students and teachers. It is a important topic because it concerns with the method how we educate effectively our students. From my experience, I agree with the idea that grades encourage students to learn.

It has been argued that marks could make some students stressful,

especially for the students with poor grades. However, as research on the education indicated that grades could let students clearly understand their performance and let them know their advantage and disadvantage. For example, without grades, how could students know what talent they really have? Grades is the indicator of students' ability to master the knowledge.

Moreover, the teacher can clearly master the status of each student study through grades. Every one had talent, but no one had all the talent. By grades, the teacher can understand ach student's talent. For instance, some students may be good at logic thinking, such as mathmatics, physics; the others may like atheletic, such as baseball, tennis. By grades, the teacher can give different advice to different student.

Furthermore, only through grades can parents understand how their child's performance in the study. For example, when I had a poor performance in some courses, my parents always helped me figure out the reason and help me go through it. Each time I went through this difficulty, I had more confidence on my study.

In conclusion, grades can encourge students to learn. It can help students realize their talents and find out their disadvantages. Without grades, how could a student clearly understand themselves?

• 4 weeks later...

#72: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

It is a common notion that a high grade reveals good qualification and hard practice of a student. Thus all students try their best to achieve the highest marks. I agree that grades promote students to learn due to the following reasons.

First of all, for every student, his score in each subject tells him about his competence in that field, as well as reflects how hard did he study on it. Although this result is good or bad, it encourages the student to learn harder. If a student got a good mark, he felt proud of his result, which brought him the commendation of his teacher and the admiration from his friends. Consequently, he would try more to get at least the same grade in the next semester. On the other hand, students with bad scores have to make further efforts in order not to lag behind. In a word, as grades are a mirror of students’ performance, they motivate students to learn more.

Moreover, a good final grade at university becomes the least criterion for students to either find a good job or go to further study. The higher the final scores are, the more the chances opened to them will be. I, for example, regret that I did not try my best at university to get an excellent grade, which would give me an opportunity to pursue Ph.D programs bypassing a master course. Therefore, the best grade should become a goal of any student attending college, which in turn acts as an impetus to his harder studying.

In short, in attempts to become a star in his class and reach a better future, a student tries to study more and more under the driving force of higher marks. A good final result at college will help him have a foot in the door.

What score will I get with this one? I've tried to simplify my language. Is it better, Erin? Thanks a lot.

• 10 months later...

Please, don't hesitate to comment.:o

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn. Use specific reasons and details.

Marks are meant to evaluate the depth of someone’s knowledge. Most of the students care about them; I did when I was at school. But do grades actually influence our desire to learn? Personally, I believe that they do!

Generally speaking, students are concerned about their grades. In order to achieve higher score a person would try harder. For instance, when I was in elementary school, our teacher came up with the idea of giving a student a star for every “excellent” mark. We had a special board for those stars in the middle of the classroom, where everybody could see how many stars you have. There even was a competition among us: who gets more stars. I wanted to win so badly, that my parents and siblings have noticed my efforts. As the result, not only did my grades hit the A level, but I also grew exited about what I was studying.

However, low marks can influence a student in the opposite way, they (marks) are discouraging sometimes. Did you ever have this feeling of being absolutely helpless after getting a low grade, though you have been cramming all night long? Some people are able to find some sort of inspiration in such failures, mobilize themselves and put their best foot forward. But not all of us are so mentally and emotionally strong. A number of students would feel sorry for the lost time and effort, lose all the interest in the subject and give up.

In conclusion, marks do encourage most of us to learn, and one might say, that I am a living proof of it. But a student should never forget, that the actual goal of learning is not your grades, even the highest ones, but the obtained knowledge.

Hi Tanya! Now it's me commenting your essay... :)

Marks are meant to evaluate the depth of someone’s knowledge. Most of the students care about them; I did when I was at school. But do grades actually influence our desire to learn? Personally, I believe that they do!

Good introduction, however, I'd not use an exclamation mark. I'm not sure about Americans, but an English friend kept telling me how it is used far too much in German, because it may come across as aggressive or offensive, and that I should better not use it unless I'm shouting at someone.

Generally speaking, students are concerned about their grades. In order to achieve (a) higher score a person would try harder.

For instance, when I was in elementary school, our teacher came up with the idea of giving a student (maybe "the students" or "each student" or "us" would be better?) a star for every “excellent” mark.

We had a special board for those stars in the middle of the classroom, where everybody could see how many stars you have (since "could" is past tense, "have" should be "had").

There even was a competition among us: who gets more (the most) stars.

I wanted to win so badly, that my parents and siblings have noticed (again: if you use simple past in the first part of the sentence (I wanted to...), you should also say "my parents and siblings noticed") my efforts.

As the (a) result, not only did my grades hit the A level, but I also grew exited about what I was studying.

nice example :)

However, low marks can influence a student in the opposite way, they (marks) (you don't have to explain that ;)) are discouraging sometimes. Did you ever have this feeling of being absolutely helpless after getting a low grade, though you have been cramming all night long? Some people are able to find some sort of inspiration in such failures, mobilize themselves and put their best foot forward. But not all of us are so mentally and emotionally strong. (I think the "so strong" has to go together, either before or after the "mentally and emotionally" though I'd prefer putting it in front.) A number of students would feel sorry for the lost time and effort, lose all the interest in the subject and give up.

In conclusion, marks do encourage most of us to learn, and one might say, that I am a living proof of it. But a student should never forget, that the actual goal of learning is not your grades, even the highest ones, but the obtained knowledge.

(Don't put commas before "that", it causes a "break" in the sentence that shouldn't be there. I guess it's something you do in Russian; we do the same in German and I had to get used to not doing it :()

So, I hope you're not angry that I've been so strict about the details! However, your vocabulary and style are quite good, and I think the only thing that might cost you points are those details... keep on posting :D

• 1 month later...

I have just critiqued two essays ;)

Now I ask you to do the same with mine. Evaluate plese... :o

Thank you.;)

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

While studying in the universities, colleges or any other educational centres, we are trying to improve the level of our knowledge and to achieve success in it. There are many things that direct us as students and evaluate our abilities. The grades are one of these things. And I support the idea that they encourage students to learn.

The first reason for this is that grades give you the capability to win. For example, when I was studying in the university I needed to spend many hours to prepare myself for exams. The grades that I received came out as a result of my efforts. That is why if you justify hopes once you will have a power to win more and more.

The second reason for this is that grades also create good conditions for the students during their studies. For example, by receiving excellent grades and getting required credits we could make the academic period shorter. It also gives us an opportunity to save both time and finances. The other important fact is that grades help us to increase our degree and let us get benefits from it. For example, if you want to be an A-student and try to keep it by receiving good marks, you will be given such benefit as employment after graduation in the future or many other ones during whole educational period.

In conclusion, each of us wants to achieve his own goal in his life. And nothing could stop it if we really want it. Basically everything depends on us but the grades with good results always help us to believe in our power and give us a chance do it time and again.

Originally posted by malena

Thank you.;)

While studying in the universities, colleges or any other educational centres, we are trying to improve the level of our knowledge and to achieve success in it. There are many things that direct us as students and evaluate our abilities. The grades are one of these things. And I support the idea that they encourage students to learn.

The first reason for this is that grades give you the capability to win. For example, when I was studying in the university I needed to spend many hours to prepare myself for exams. The grades that I received came out as a result of my efforts. That is why if you justify hopes once you will have a power to win more and more.

The second reason for this is that grades also create good conditions for the students during their studies. For example, by receiving excellent grades and getting required credits we could make the academic period shorter. It also gives us an opportunity to save both time and finances. The other important fact is that grades help us to increase our degree and let us get benefits from it. For example, if you want to be an A-student and try to keep it by receiving good marks, you will be given such benefit as employment after graduation in the future or many other ones during whole educational period.

In conclusion, each of us wants to achieve his own goal in his life. And nothing could stop it if we really want it. Basically everything depends on us but the grades with good results always help us to believe in our power and give us a chance do it time and again.

Your essay is generally good. But slight mistakes are shown.

Most of all, third paragraph is not adequate. I show that this paragraph is saying the requirement of a good grade. But this topic does not ask you it. If you want to say like this, I think that if the result of doing one's best to get a good grades is better to be added, the paragraph is seem to be adequate.

In second paragraph, is "capability to" correct? I think that "capability of" is correct. I don't know the meaning, "That is why if you justify hopes once you will have a power to win more and more". What does it mean?

Third paragraph is seem to look better if it is separated into 2 paragraph.

In the fourth paragraph, is "give us a chance do " correct? I think "give us a chance to do" is correct.

Thank you a lot ditoman. :)

1. The meaning of "That is why if you justify hopes once you will have a power to win more and more" is like >>> if you ahieve success once you will have a power to win more and more. I think it is correct enough.

2. I believe that >>> capability to do someting (or) capable of doing something

3. The mistake in fourth paragraph is mechanical. That is why I agree with you.

Thank you again [heartbeat]

Originally posted by malena

Thank you.;)

Hi, Malena.

I think the organization of your essay is quite good. One thing you should do, however, is create a strong thesis statement for your introduction that includes not only your opinion, but also your main points.

As I read it, your essay has two main points: grades give you the capability to win and grades create good conditions for students. You want to make sure these are stated in the introduction and you also want to make sure they are clearly distinct and separate points. You do well to include examples to clarify. Make sure that they are the best examples possible.

Nice work on the conclusion. Do try to summarize even further here by once again including the main points of your essay as a way of tying it all together for your readers.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

• 3 years later...

Yeah, hi every one, I'm new in english. Pls comment my essay:

In many schools, grades have become very important because they represent the result of what have been done. Usually grades can help students study with higher detemination, yet they may also discourage students because of the pressure.

Grades encourage students to learn. It depends on how students think about their marks. For example, a student who receives presents or is enhanced whenever he gets good marks will have a strong motive to study. Even when he gets bad marks, he will try his best to improve because he does not want to feel ashamed when people know about this. Thus, the result becomes a strong motivation to study.

On the other hand, grades may make students feel distressed and want to study no more. They cause pressure on the students to whom marks are incerdibly important. In addition, to a student whose family cares merely about his marks, this problem is much more serious. Were he to get bad marks in his study-report, his parents would be disatisfied and upbraid him. This would make him feel like he is tortured and hence he could not focus on studying. Furthermore, when all a student can get are bad marks though he has tried his best, he will definitely be too tired to keep on working hard.

In conclusion, grades can do both good and bad to students' studying. Everything depends on how students concern about their marks. Once they understand that grades only show how hard they have been working and are nothing more than numbers, they can concertrate more on their study and control it themselves.

Hi friends,

I have my test on oct. 27.

So, here I am sending you my view for this topic. Please give me guidance.

Regarding this topic , I would say that I totally agree with this statement that, " grades encourage students to learn".

As we all know that this is human nature to be happy and feel pround when someone appreciate their work. When somebody says something good about our work, then definitely we will try our best in future to get same kind of appraisal again and again, because this kind of appraisal gives us inner happiness and honour for ourselves.

Also I would like to say that this is the best way by which we can get diamonds from coalmines. I mean that if there is no grade system in class or jobs or everywhere then noone would like to get knowledge and to do hard work. If there is no competition to get higher positions then everyone becomes lazy. They feel that there is nobody to grade me then what is the meaning of doing hard work.

Can any one imagine that what will happen if there is no grade system? Without grading system we can't differentiate hard workers form lazy one. I think whole system of world is based on competition and gradig. Eveyone is doing hard work, as he/she doesn't want to keep his/her self last.

In last, I would like to say that there must be grading system everywhere and this is the right way of encouraging people for hard work and to get prosperity for themselves and for nation too.

This is approximetly 240 words. I don't know exactly how many words we have to write in this kind of task. So, please kindly inform me about that.

Thanks in advance.