Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)

Thread: #159: The twentieth century saw great change. In y

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
    The twentieth century saw great change. In your opinion, what is one change that should be remembered about the twentieth century? Use specific reasons and details to explain your choice.

Since the extinction of dinosaurs several millions of years ago, for human beings, the twentieth has been the century during which there have been a lot of changes, more than in the past. Most of these changes are great, others not so much, and not all of them are good for human beings and the environment. In my opinion, the great change that we should remember about the twentieth century, is the advent of the television, firstly, because individuals since receive directly at their own home images and sounds coming from all around the world. Second, because is a great source of information, and finally, because it's for most persons a leisure source.

Since TV has arrived in homes, people are able to receive videos, images, music, comments, coming from everywhere in the world and this without moving from their sofa. Compared with inventions of past centuries, I find it great. For example, if you lived in the fifteenth century, and someone would have told you that in future it should have been possible to watch though a mirror and see images coming directly from the other world's hemisphere (thanks Copernicus!) you would have certainly thought him crazy.

A great amount of information we receive today in Europe comes from TV. Although, information is transmitted through radio and internet as well, TV remains nowadays the means through which people is much better informed, because by it they have access to images, speeches and video, 24 hours a day.
    Furthermore, television, for those that have one, is a source of leisure. They stay the evening watching movies, or entertaining programs. For them should be odd to imagine a life without TV.

The great change concerning the last century, I think it is the television because it permits to have access a great amount of information, either in video format or sound or text. Furthermore, people enjoy watching their preferred programs or sport event. Personally, I prefer to use my spare time reading books, they are much more interesting than TV programs, and alas, it's not a great change of the 20th century (Thanks Guttemberg!).

Title edited by Erin from this:

# 159 : The twentieth century saw great change. I

to this:

#159: The twentieth century saw great change. In y

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi people. Give me any comments.

If the last one hundred years is associated with anything, it is technological change. In transportation, for example, we have gone from the horse and buggy to the space shuttle. In communication we have gone from the messenger to the wireless phone, FAX and Internet. In everyday life we have got microwave, television, cable and satellite dish. In medicine so many diseases can be prevented and treated. Diseases can be diagnosed with sophisticated equipment and treated with laser surgery or newly synthesized drugs. All these technological "miracles" will be remembered about the twentieth century. But in my opinion the most significant change is the invention of antibiotics.

For many centuries infections posed a serious threat to people’s health and even lives. It is hard to imagine people’s fear of being infected even with some banal infectious because they could die of it. But the biggest people own that time was plague or Black Death. 24 million people have died because of it in 14th century. During the war time soldiers died because of the infected wound. Tuberculosis, the white plague, is still dangerous disease that kills more people in the world than any other infectious disease.

Penicillin has became the “wonder drug” that had saved millions people’s lives. It was discovered in 1929 by Alexander Fleming and has become the miracle in medicine. Pneumonia and diphtheria are not lethal diseases any more. Tuberculosis can be treated and people continue to live. Nowadays antibiotics are the most usable drugs all over the world. They are used not only to treat infections but also to prevent them.

To conclude, although many great inventions have appeared in twentieth century, I believe that discovering of the antibiotics is the most valuable and considerable one. It saved, save and will save thousands of people’s lives. And life is the most precious gift.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Hi Friends,

Please rate this essay, as I have my test in a couple of days, I would liek to know where I stand in terms of writing an essay!

The twentieth century has indeed seen great changes as the human race has advanced so much during the last hundred years compared to the innovations and advancement made since the very inception of mankind. Personally, I think that the most important advancement made is the computer. Computers have made the globe look so small in terms of communication . Computers have also helped mankind in making breakthroughs in various industrial sectors and medical science. They have made life very easy and simple to live in.

Computers are the biggest boon of the twentieth century. Today, with internet services and cables lines spread across the entire globe, communicating across the seven seas has become so much simpler. Due to this a lot of important official work is able to be completed in time. For business houses like MNCs, they communicate with their networks across the globe through this system. Today we can proudly say that in a way, thanks to the computer, we have conquered time. For example whenever I want to talk to my Dad who stays in a different country, I can switch on my internet connection, use my webcam and talk to him for hours altogether.

There are numerous examples of breakthroughs in the medical field due to computers. For example, today eye operation is done by millions of people around the world. One can see without having to wear glasses or lens. This is a miracle done by a machine which is a computer. Even in making space conquests or undersea operations, computers have been pushed through where humans haven’t been able to enter due to the physical limitations.

Due to computers life has become so much simpler. Earlier, we would write to our loved ones, today it’s just a matter of sending a mail anytime, anywhere. We can buy clothes, do shopping for almost anything on the net. Today in various schools, children are not supposed to carry notebooks to school, instead a laptop is there to suffice. It you are not feeling well you can simply mail your professor!

To conclude, I feel that the invention of the computer is truly the most important breakthrough for mankind since it has helped mankind reach the heights of achieving success in all the important fields and helped us in living a much better and simpler life.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    The great change in the 20th century is the democracy development.From the beginning of the century to the end,more and more countries become the democracy countries,and that change the world greatly.

In the beginning of last century,there are very little countury are the democracy countries.Many countries at that time have the emperors or the queens,or they are in the very primitive status that the trible leaders control their lifes.with the democracy ideas were spreaded across the world,more and more countries and their people accepted the democracy system,and also happened the revolution to accelerate the democracy development.To the end of 20th century,from west to east,from the monarcy countries to the communist countries,they began to accept the election system, the openness,the free speech,and conscider the democracy system as the best way to improve their living conditions and their life qualities.

This change is so important that the world has changed greatly accordingly,the country begin to talk with each other rather go to war,the human rights were respected,and the people has more chance than before.That benefit the country'development,and the people's happainess too.

Thread Information