Urch Forums

TWE 140: Hand made or machine made goods?

manasi4gre

TOPIC: Some items (such as clothes or furniture) can be made by hand or by machine. Which do you prefer- items made by hand or machine? Use reasons and specific examples to explain your choice?

The constant urge for a better quality of human life has given rise to new developments in technology. As a result, items previously produced by hand are now slowly replaced by machines with effective time management, reduction of manual labor and at affordable cost to the common man. Even though I prefer items made by hand such as clothes or furniture, the production of these goods depends greatly on factors like costing and keeping up with the increasing market demand.

First and foremost, hand-made goods retain the aesthetic value and originality that they are widely appreciated for. For example, my home town is famous for its hand woven beautiful Indian silk saris. The intricate designs, artistic quality and longevity are by far more superior than machine made products albeit monotonous and churned out in great numbers every year. However, sometimes the common man cannot afford to buy these stunning and expensive saris.

Another important facade of hand-made goods is generation of self-employment. In my country India, cottage and small scale industries are the outcome of the initiative taken by rural folk. It is the continuation of their family tradition and source of income, which is their living today. It was Mahatma Gandhi, father of our nation who advocated the production of Khadi, the hand woven cloth. He was the pioneer in setting up Khadi and village industries set up all over the country that produce commodities cheaply by hand, important among them being clothes, incense sticks and handicrafts etc. Furthermore, furniture made by hand displays the subtleness and creativeness of the creator. Chairs, tables and sofa sets of delicate carved designs delight the human eye!

However, factors like expensiveness and time consumption come into play as disadvantages with the hand-made goods. Because these take up huge manual labor, need a lot more time for completion, there is not enough sustenance for a poor family in a developing country like India that has many mouths to feed. The cut throat competition in the trade has also produced a great concern for these poor people. Alternatively, the solution is machines that produce a great number of textiles and furniture in a short span of time cheaply for common folk and suitably for an industrialized world.

To sum up, I would say that hand-made goods are preferable for their aesthetic quality, originality and long lasting nature. However, with increasing market demand and rising prices man-made machines have replaced the hand-made goods to a great extent.

The constant urge for a better quality of human life has given rise to new developments in technology. As a result, items previously produced by hand are now slowly replaced by machines [this means, the items actually produced are replaced by machines; you want to say the hand work is replaced by machine work] with effective time management, reduction of manual labor and at affordable cost to the common man. Even though I prefer items made by hand such as clothes or furniture, the production of these goods depends greatly on factors like costing and keeping up [not sure your construction is correct; maybe this is better "like costs and upkeep"]with the increasing market demand.

First and foremost, hand-made goods retain the aesthetic value and originality that they are widely appreciated for. For example, my home town is famous for its hand woven beautiful Indian silk saris. The intricate designs, artistic quality and longevity are by far more superior than machine made products ["are by far superior to machine made products"] albeit monotonous and churned out in great numbers every year [fif I'm right "albeit" ~= "even though". To make sense, after "albeit" you should either list advantages of machine made or disadvantages of hand made saris]. However, sometimes the common man cannot afford to buy these stunning and expensive saris.

Another important facade of hand-made goods is generation of self-employment. In my country India, cottage and small scale industries are the outcome of the initiative taken by [the] rural folk. It is the continuation of their family tradition and source of income, which is their living today [I don't understand the last part]. It was Mahatma Gandhi, father of our nation who advocated the production of Khadi [maybe put "Khadi" in quotes], the hand woven cloth. He was the pioneer in setting up Khadi and village industries set up all over the country that produce commodities cheaply by hand, important among them being clothes, incense sticks and handicrafts etc["and many more"]. Furthermore, furniture made by hand displays the subtleness and creativeness of the creator. Chairs, tables and sofa sets of delicate[ly] carved designs delight the human eye!

However, factors like expensiveness and time consumption come into play as disadvantages with the hand-made goods ["disadv. of hand-made.."]. Because these take up [require] huge manual labor [manual labor efforts], [they] need a lot more time for completion, there is not enough sustenance for a poor family in a developing country like India that has many mouths to feed [rather complicated structure... but I think it's mostly correct]. The cut throat competition in the trade has also produced a great concern for these poor people. Alternatively, the solution is machines that produce a great number of textiles and furniture in a short span of time cheaply for common folk and suitably for an industrialized world.

To sum up, I would say that hand-made goods are preferable for their aesthetic quality, originality and long lasting nature. However, with increasing market demand and rising prices man-made machines have replaced the hand-made goods to a great extent.

A very good essay again. I put some comments where the construction sounded incorrect to me.

You should get at least a 4.5 for this. Quite possibly more (maybe even more than a 5, but it's hard for me to judge that).

And I have to ask... is "to sum up" a regular expression? I really don't know; it just doesn't sound familiar to me.